Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I downgrade to 1mb

Options
  • 13-03-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

I have been on a 2mb UTV DSL connection for over 2 years and all was ok up to a few months ago. I am 5km from exchange. I'm now getting regular disconnects on sonicwall vpns's. Citrix connections are staying up ok. Web browsing etc is ok. Would I be better to go to a 1mb connection to ensure a more stable connection?

Today @ 14:30 on Friday 13th.

Line Stats:
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 2048 kbps 256 kbps
    Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
    Noise Margin 10.4 db 14.0 db

Speedtest.net results shows 1726 kbps DL speed and 207kbps UL speed with 103ms ping.

Pings to boards.ie averages 47ms right now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If citrix connections are staying up then it doesn't sound like the problem lines with your adsl line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Oh my god your attenuation is horrendous, your line can't handle 2MB, dropping to 1MB would definitely stabilise it. Contact UTV and they can change it on the spot for testing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

A colleague had similar issue with Sonicwall. Eircom fitted a new master socket in his house with built in splitter. If I understand correctly they wired this also from pole that phone used 2 wires and dsl used a different 2 wires in cable into house. Sounds strange? His sonicwall issue has disappeared and he could upgrade successfully to a 3mb connection from using a 1mb line before.

Advertisement