Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Windmill

Options
  • 13-03-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Is that a new windmill going in up at Country Crest? seems to be nearly as big as the one up in Dundalk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Is it a wind turbine? If it is as big as the Dundalk one it'll be visible for miles up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

There were no blades on it this morning but yep, it looks like a big turbine. big crane parked beside it so they must be assembling it.Funny, I didn't notice it yesterday!!I'm at least a mile away from it, but I could see it clearly this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Looked like the hub went up on Friday, I wonder how the blades get added, do they need 2 cranes to balance the load?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

All 3 blades on yesterday and a crane about again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Yeah, I noticed that recently.

It was spinning away merrily there on the way home the last few days.

I've read complaints about people not liking the look of them, I think it looks awesome!

Hauk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

yes it is a wind turbine for Country Crest. They built it to try and reduce there electricity costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Apparently their lecce bill was in the region of half a million a year and with the turbine costing 1.5mill then it made sense.
    On a slightly side note was talking to a friend who is an electrician and he siad that when it comes to these the ESB dont play ball.If Country Crest mange to create enough elctricity to feed some of it back into the national grid the ESB will take it but WILL NOT pay you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

bcmf wrote: »
    On a slightly side note was talking to a friend who is an electrician and he siad that when it comes to these the ESB dont play ball.If Country Crest mange to create enough elctricity to feed some of it back into the national grid the ESB will take it but WILL NOT pay you for it.

If that really is the case then they need to talk to Minister Ryan. There was recent talk of an initiative for householders/businesses to obtain grants to set up their own turbines & they would be paid for any excess fed back into the national grid.

Anyway, the ESB don't operate the national grid & wouldn't be in a position to pay or not pay for it. That would be up to Eirgrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Hill Billy wrote: »
    If that really is the case then they need to talk to Minister Ryan. There was recent talk of an initiative for householders/businesses to obtain grants to set up their own turbines & they would be paid for any excess fed back into the national grid.

Anyway, the ESB don't operate the national grid & wouldn't be in a position to pay or not pay for it. That would be up to Eirgrid.

Ahhhh youre spoiling my ESB bashing buzz:p

Advertisement