Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have finally given up !!!!

Options
  • 13-03-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭

16 years smoking, usually 20 a day. At weekends it could be twice that depending on what I was doing.

I am quite physically active, still play junior soccer and never really felt that smoking affected my health in a massive way.

I have never really tried to give up, but for some reason on tuesday evening I just did !!!

I was in the car on the way home from work, lit up a smoke and it was the last one in the pack. My reaction was near panic, how could I have let myself run out, where is the nearest shop, I'll have to get to a cash machine etc ... when a switch flicked in my head and said 'Enough is enough .. this is madness' .. and I havn't smoked a fag since.

I have cravings like hell, but I just think of the figure €300, which is about what I spend a month on the fags and look at a picture of my 5 week old daughter on my phone... along with a slug of water and a couple of Wrigley Extras and they seems to dissappear.

It is nearly 72 hours now and I think the weekend will be tough. I don’t really drink a lot so that shouldn’t affect me, but I know after my match on Sunday morning I will be gagging for a fag .. force of habit !!

I have pondered and thought about the whole notion of allowing myself a comfort ciggie in the evening or morning or weekend, but realise even the process of buying a pack is wrong!! I really would prefer to do this without Nicotine supplements,

Fingers crossed I can manage it and ensure that my daughter will not ever have to see her daddy smoke tobacco .. except maybe a Cuban on her wedding day!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Ironbars

Well done and good luck........... I had my last smoke wednesday evening.

Tis hard going but I will get there :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Good stuff, sounds like your motivated as hell. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Keep it going folks. I'm 11 days off the weed now. We can do this.

Every minute without smoking is a good minute!

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Hi Whippet,

After your match on Sunday, try and alter your routine and hopefully you won't be craving a cigarette as much. Even if it means heading straight home after and not hang around for a chat with your team mates.

Best of luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Way-hey! Well done! Keep at it, even if it takes more than one try (or 10 tries).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ImustavKlimt

Well done you,i wish could ive tried many times but i just cannot im fed up trying i love my ciggies way too much,sure i only have maybe 5 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ImustavKlimt

By the way them patches are useless i had one one every limb even my back:D

Advertisement