Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding work in the USA (whats in a resumé?)

Options
  • 13-03-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,918 ✭✭✭✭

You'd think this should be easy, being a citizen but I guess I'm as good as Irish in this regard.

Anywho I finally got my Full License, I can drive my Jeep where and when I need to finally. So I can drive and dress in a Polo shirt and Khakis all day but no good resumé to speak of and my interviewing skills suck. I worked two jobs, both of them in Ireland, one of them a cash job, neither of which paid particularly well or had an interview process (actually both of them were "Speak English and don't mind lifting? Great! You start tomorrow!"). I'm essentially clueless as to what they want to see on your resumé. And as far as these background checks I'm going to show up in the computers as a big black hole.

Anyone have what they would consider a great resumé to share so I can get a feel for what format I should be using? I can look smart no problem but then you turn in a sheet full of crap and squiggles - they'll never call you back :(

I looked on craigslist and am almost thinking about taking the job as the guy in a Cow Suit for Chik-Fil-A for $10/hr - probably only 15 hours a week though. Not that I would mind having an udder and blaming scapegoating chickens...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Look at your state here. I found the Illinois one very useful for me and I got a number of job interviews from posting a short 1 page resume on there.

I worked off the headings; Education, Work experience, objective, references. There is bound to be plenty of retail stuff available, not the most satisfying work but worth a go. Try some of the bigger job search sites as well, they will have resume tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buynow

The format I use (that has worked for me both in the US and Ireland) is objective, skills, education, experience. Basically start with what you want and what you can do so whoever is reading it has a quick idea. And you can tailor this to different positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

If it's a job that you're really interested in maybe a cover letter too?

(and by the way - i really like the sound of that chicken job!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hi there,
    I've worked as a hiring manager for a number of years in both the states and in Ireland. The main difference between an Irish CV and an American Resume tends to be in length and detail.
    A Resume tends to be much shorter, generally no more than two pages, especially given the fact you seem to be young and only have had a couple of job. I would follow the advice given by the previous posters. A lot of Resumes also tend to include a Career Objective > a short one or two liner explaining what you would like to do with your career in the short to medium term.

Also do not include the type of CV ****e filler than for some reason is always in Irish CV's - "paddy likes walking on beaches and has a keen interest in Cinema". Also do not include personal details, such as age, race, marital status etc. However do include your Work Status eg Citizen, or Legal Resident Alien etc.

Lastly I would strongly advise that regardless on what type of job you are applying for that you customise your Resume to match the position being applied for. Generally speaking the best way to do this is to review and study the roles, responsibilities, experience necessary etc in the job posting and re-write your Resume in an attempt to match your skills with the skills being looked for in the job you are going after. I'm not suggesting that you lie on the Resume, rather that your emphasize aspects of your past experience which you believe most closely match the specifics being looked for in the job advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Overheal... Since you’re young and apparently just starting out, I’d suggest you get the worse god-awful job you can find. That way you determine pretty darn quick that you want more and better things out of life, which an education and/or determination will afford you. Mine was a dish and pot washer in a hospital from ages 15 through 17. I was a "D" student till then... <fast forward>... I graduated with a 3.82 in my Masters program. I never regretted it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Work in a call center, that'll soon sort you out! *read from script* Hello, my name is Overheal and I wanted to tell you about the new, no annual fee card from..*click* Rinse and repeat. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Seriously consider using a one-page resume. See template:
    http://www.collier.k12.fl.us/nhs/lmc/resume.html

Unless you are into the arts. We use portfolios with samples of our work.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I made up a 1 pager in MSW using Objective, Skills, Experience, and Education.

At the moment I'm begining to think of a leap here, theres a plant in N.Charleston looking for Aircraft mchanics and QA inspectors, little to no experience, training provided, $14 an hour. Pappy and the guy we are subletting a room to already work in the same place, so I gotta go take one of those work keys assessments (if youve ever heard of one) and get my foot in said door. Probably too ambitious but why aim low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Overheal wrote: »

theres a plant in N.Charleston looking for Aircraft mchanics and QA inspectors, little to no experience,

Well, that explains a lot about the state of things airborn in the US, now doesn't it?

WYK

Advertisement