Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Evening Classes

Options
  • 13-03-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hey. I live in Kilkenny and i've been looking to do evening classes in irish or world history. When the VEC release their list of courses every year there is plenty of courses for people who want to study "Reiki" or "Dog grooming" but none for history. Is there anyone else here from kilkenny? I reckon if i can drum up enough interest i can persuade the VEC to run a course in September and if not it might be good to get a discussion group going or something. Anyone interested or know of anything in existence in the area. Im pretty sure there's nothing. I've tried carlow and waterford too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 room101

Hi, I'm researching the Whitefeet - which was a protest movement of miners, farm labourers and small farmers in Kilkenny (particularly the northern parts) and Laois, and in bits of Kildare, Offaly, Carlow and Waterford in the 1830s.
    I would love to give a course on Irish social history circa 1800 to 1850, with particular reference to Kilkenny and surrounding counties. That is pretty narrow though so I don't know if there would be much interest.

I do not know if it would appeal to you - not quite what you are asking for - but there are a couple of local history groups in Kilkenny - their publications are on sale in the large book shop on the High Street - the one that has a coffee shop over it, there is also one for Carlow, and I think one might be based out of Rothe (sp?) House - that old building further down towards the theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

I would be quite interested in your subject room 101 however my main interest lies in governmental and military history rather than social. I worked in Galmoy mines myself for 5 years so i know a thing or two about mining in the area. If you wanted you could do some research and maybe even a lecture through the castlecomer discovery park place.

Advertisement