Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone HSDPA speedtest

• 13-03-2009 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

As i want to buy an iPhone i wonder which provider i am to chose. o2 says it is providing "up to" 7.2mbit/s, but 3 has a nice offer (1gb for 10€) with 3.6mbit/s as well.

so now i wan't to know wether there's a wide difference between the providers.

Please name the location, phone and the provider you're using and make the bandwith clear wether you mean kbits or kbytes.

I testet the speed at work with the phone of a colleague:

Dublin (actually not in the center)
    iPhone
    o2
    ~700kbit/s

Which i found very dissatisfying. That's not normal, is it?

Btw, there's an app called "speedtest.net" in the App Store for those using an iPhone.

Cheers

Sebastian

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It's 7.2 mbps for EVERYONE on that cell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Cork city centre. Using a SonyEricsson w910i on 3. Got 952kb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

N82 on 3, Dublin City Centre.8 AN
    Hit 2.4 Mb/sec.
    Could have knocked me over with a feather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Certain handsets are capable of faster speeds than some networks support and certain networks are capable of faster speeds than some handsets support.

Example 1:
    The iPhone is capable of up to 3.6 Mbps, but if used on a network capable of up to 7.2 Mbps, such as Vodafone or O2, the maximum speed available is up to only 3.6 Mbps.

Conclusion = The handset is the limiting factor.

Example 2:
    The Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1i is capable of up to 7.2 Mbps, but if used on a network capable of up to 3.6 Mbps, such as 3, the maximum speed capable is still only 3.6 Mbps.

Conclusion = The network is the limiting factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

has anyone tired mobilespeedtest.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Strulf

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The iPhone is capable of up to 3.6 Mbps
    Is it? Or was it just for the example?
    If yes, do you have a source to that information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Strulf wrote: »
    Is it? Or was it just for the example?
    If yes, do you have a source to that information?

There's an article on Gearlog that confirms the HSDPA speed of the iPhone is 3.6 Mbps; this was confirmed after Gearlog spoke with Apple's Greg Jozwiak.

Thank you.

*push* Noone else? 2,4mbit sounds perfect, i would like to have more comparable informations ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Strulf wrote: »
    *push* Noone else? 2,4mbit sounds perfect, i would like to have more comparable informations ;)

Don't know if you were interested in Vodafone. Variable results :)

435957189.png

435964056.png

435965390.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Turbo33

Hi,

I have a 3GS iphone on Three network, the customer service in the shop told me that their cell network is on 7.2 speeds now, but when i do speed tests on the iphone i always get around 2.5 M download, i have tested this in Cork, Dublin, Dundalk. Meath in various locations but i can never get over 2.5M download. my internet APN setting on the iphone 3GS is 3ireland.ie
    Has anyone that got a 3GS got greater speeds on any 7.2M HSDPA cell network?

Advertisement