Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD Screen for 5.25 Bay

Options
  • 13-03-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Have you ever tried to google that? its the most annoying search I've ever done so I've given up and I'm turning to you guys to rid me of my woes. Anyone know any make/models that can fit into the front bay and also links into the pc as a second screen?
    I'm looking into another build and I'm trying to scope for future needs.

Much appreciated for any response,

req

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Putting a screen on your PC is difficult enough (standard 7" units are wider than 5.25" bay covers so you have to hard-mod the case, i.e. hacksaw time), a control unit (hardware or software) for it is even worse.

I've only ever heard of case modders doing it to huge eATX maxi-tower cases that were hard-modded to actually fit a mITX/pITX secondary PC inside the primary PC's tower. In theory you could try to find a 6" VGA LCD and pass the second monitor port from your graphics card to it but then you need custom software to run on said screen. And find a power source...

There are a few specific solutions out there (e.g. Silverstone something-or-other, Thermaltake Mozart...) but they're designed for specific cases (usually €600+ high-end HTPC cases) and are mindbogglingly pricey for what they are :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

thermaltake make one, but i didnt like it too much.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/EmbeddedLCD

i had a lanbox, and it was great, but then i wanted bigger and better, and got a nzxt lexa, and it looked ****. dont even concider it as i had to hacksaw parts of the side off to get it to fit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yeah, it only fits in a special 7" bay unique to the Mozart. In fact its quite clearly a single-DIN car LCD knockoff :p I was also wondering if there was a small 5-6" LCD that could be dropped into a couple of 5.25" drive bays but alas it doesn't look like it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

No hope kid... your only bets are:

A) Buy a monocolour LCD www.matrixorbital.com

B) Make your own http://www.casemodgod.com/ModGuides/LCD1BayMod/lcdbaymod.htm

C) Make a request for someone to make one www.thebestcasescenario.com

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

thanks for the replys lads, I was considering it for a lian li case and was considering running a separate pico-itx inside but it seems more hassle than its worth. I think vodoo pc have one in their new pc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement