Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The fantasy Irish promotion thread. Irish rosters only!

• 13-03-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I'm just gonna stray a little from the usual official sounding posts to inform you Irish wrestling fans that I've been informed of a rumour of a new promotions starting up.
    I know what you're saying, "not another" yada yada yada but when you think of it CPW & NWA Ireland are running a far reduced schedule these days so this place could fill the void.

Apparently they have no roster of their own, so they're gonna be using wrestlers from all of the other promotions. I dont wanna give away too much cause if this doesn't come to fruition I'll have egg on my face, and I HATE EGG ON MY FACE!! (anyone seen The Spirit?)

So that got me thinking, anyone who follows the Irish scene should have something to contribute to this, who would be your dream Irish roster? (imagining you have the entire of the talent of Ireland to play around with except Devitt & SOS for obvious reasons)

Answers on a postcard folks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Maxer
    Tracey
    Morrow
    Red Vinny
    Duncan Disorderly
    Ross Browne
    Joey Cabray
    Mad Man Manson
    Georgie Mac

That would be a nice start to any new promotion.

This probably deserves a thread of its own if it wasn't destined straight to muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FFPW_Dean

gimmick wrote: »

This probably deserves a thread of its own if it wasn't destined straight to muppetry.

I'm not following, do explain good sir?

Pretty much every thread to start about the irish wrestling scene in the past has descended into fighting among people involved with the various promotions under assumed usernames. It gets petty and patethic, hence the reason for this one stickied thread.

Yeah you're right!

Although in fairness things seem to have been talked about in an amicable manner on here lately, if it keeps up and people become willing to work together to further the cause of Irish wrestling we could have something really worthwhile.

Keep those rosters comin folks, only one way to get the best outta this scene, and that's to show a proactive interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Good idea gimmick.
    I will give this it's seperate thread.

However the minute it gets out of hand, it's getting locked.

So play nice, folks. :)

• Advertisement

You're a mod? I had no idea!

Shawn mate, you've followed the Irish scene in your day, care to post up a roster?

Or how about to spice it up, you must include at least one person from all the existing promotions? (no offence to gimmick, but your roster was AWR plus Manson, Vinny, & Ross)

Well, I would have said it was IWW and NWA but who is counting.

True true, it is NWA & IWW, but most of that is the complete Irish AWR roster(bar Justin Shape & Rachel), which dont get me wrong is a FANTASTIC roster, but if this is idea is going to be anything new it needs a fresh mixed roster.

For example, we've all seen Maxer vs Morrow at some point or another, amazing matches they have, but how many people have seen Maxer vs Jordan Devlin, Bingo Ballance vs Paddy Morrow, Phil Boyd vs Joey Cabray, Sean South vs Mandrake, Kev Rocks vs Mad Man Manson and so on!

Perhaps some booking ideas would add to the discussion

FFPW_Dean wrote: »
    You're a mod? I had no idea!

Decision was made earlier today. Up til then, neither had I!
    Shawn mate, you've followed the Irish scene in your day, care to post up a roster?

I stopped following the scene around 2007, so my roster would be somewhat out of date. The majority of it would probably circle the NWA Ireland roster from around 04-05 as the place dripped talent left right and centre. But because i haven't been following in the last couple of years, i don't know who's joined or who's left. So a roster from me would probably be an epic fail I'm afraid. :)

Who doesn't love an Epic fail though, anything in the name of discussion!

• Advertisement

Bingo Ballance

No. No roster should have Bingo Ballance. I really do not like him. I dislike him for the same reason I dislike the likes of Ruckus, Jigsaw etc - unrealistic offense.

That being said, any shopw I have seen him on, the kiddies love him.

Who doesn't love an Epic fail though, anything in the name of discussion!

True, but i'd rather not discuss something that i'll know precious little about or if my knowledge is so dated that it's rendered obsolete. That's how forum wars have a tendency to start, and from my own standpoint now, that would just be making more work for myself. ;)

No. No roster should have Bingo Ballance. I really do not like him. I dislike him for the same reason I dislike the likes of Ruckus, Jigsaw etc - unrealistic offense.

That being said, any shopw I have seen him on, the kiddies love him.

Ouch!
    This question may lead to a flame (let it be known that's not what I'm trying to achieve here, so keep the criticism constructive), are there any wrestlers who you would definitely NOT have on such a roster?

Keep it clean & constructive folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I'd like to see Joey Cabray, Dunkan Disorderly, Ross Browne, Paul Tracey and maybe Mandrake and Vic Viper up top of the roster, handling main events. Joe and Dunkan proved worthy of the spot when they got over massive with the Tallaght crowd at the AWR show last October. Browne is a heat magnet (though he's activity is infrequent, dunno why this is, perhaps he's focusing on his stand-up?). Tracey is a great worker with a good 'look'. I haven't seen much of Mandrake or Viper, and what I have seen hasn't blown me away tbh, but they do have alright 'looks' by indie standards and by all accounts go down well with 'da kidz.

I'd like to see the mid-card fleshed out with cruiserweights like Morrow, Maxer, Insano and Red Vinny. They could have some great matches.

Gimmickry would be important too; so I'd like to see the likes of Tron/Leatherface, Mad Man Manson and Kev Rocks on the roster also.

Tag teams are a nice way to flesh out the card. I'd like the see the Finglas Hooligans being repackaged as the K.W.A. as in "Knackers With Attitude" and feud with CPW's 'D4' team. I've never seen D4 in action or anything, but I just like the idea of that feud!

Theres my two cents anyway, though I'm under no illusions that this promotion is likely to be formed. I imagine that the IWW guys won't work for free as they get offered enough dates by the home promotion and indeed abroad to keep them happy. Apparently the NWA guys charge for their services now also, and the same is likely true of Cabray and company. So any promotion willing to take on these costs would have to be running a pretty slick operation and draw a couple of hundred fans to its shows, and no Irish group that have tried to do this have succeeded without TWC or MPI backing them.

Not entirely true Flan, NLW & CPW have both paid every member of their roster on shows without drawing alarmingly huge crowds.

It's not amazingly profitable for the promoter, but it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ayden316

Paddy Morrow
    Sean Maxer
    Sean South
    Vic Viper
    Dunkan Disorderly
    Mad Man Manson
    Paul Tracey
    JC Williams
    Joey Cabray
    Insano
    Kev Rocks
    Bone Saw Mcgraw(Machine)

That would be my roster good mix of all the promotions and a lot of good talent there but in this day and age you need more than wrestlers
    --MANAGERS--

Gerry Soul
    Jamie Coleman

These 2 get some great heat when performing and with cole man he's death threat type good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I haven't seen enough of some promotions to comment on them, and I've seen too much of some promotions to know not to comment on them. However, if this were true, It would be great for Irish Wrestling as the scene itself has gone to the dogs imo. And for the half decent shows, they're at the other side of the country, and as much as I'd like to go to them, I'm not feckin made of money. If this were to come about, a half decent web show would do it the world of good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

I have always said that likes of Cabray,Maxer,Morrow etc should be putting on regular shows around the country and not just in Bray.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I haven't seen enough of some promotions to comment on them, and I've seen too much of some promotions to know not to comment on them. However, if this were true, It would be great for Irish Wrestling as the scene itself has gone to the dogs imo. And for the half decent shows, they're at the other side of the country, and as much as I'd like to go to them, I'm not feckin made of money. If this were to come about, a half decent web show would do it the world of good!

Web show, awesome thinking!

Out of interest, if a half decent web show were avaible; Would people follow it (provided it was decent) and would it encourage you to attend the live shows (if they were near enough)?

Yes and yes. I've nothing better to be doing with the exams around the corner. And if there was some sort of storyline development (something that I feel is seriously lacking in irish wrestling) then I would be more inclined to go. And knowing if wrestlers are any good would help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Yes and yes. I've nothing better to be doing with the exams around the corner. And if there was some sort of storyline development (something that I feel is seriously lacking in irish wrestling) then I would be more inclined to go. And knowing if wrestlers are any good would help.

What he said!

Just reading the women wrestlers thread there.

Anyone feel the need for Irish women on shows?

Just reading the women wrestlers thread there.

Anyone feel the need for Irish women on shows?

Absolutely. A promotion should have a women's division. Only problem in Ireland is the lack of girls taking up pro wrestling. Obviously Rebecca Knox achieved great success internationally and Alex Breslin was quite sucessful a few years ago as well. I don't think either are involved in wrestling anymore? You may know more about that than I do Dean.

It seems to be the case that every promotion has trouble getting more than 1 wrestler on their regular womens roster and has to either put them against the lads or bring in outside talent.

Yeah yer right, currently there's 2 women active in Ireland that I can think of;

Laura McGoran (FFPW)
    & Amy Voltage (PWU)

AWR's Rachel St.Claire is training in FFPW to learn to wrestle though.

Irish Whip had some Irish girl on their shows a while back, is she still active?
    I know Rebecca & Alex have both retired, Alex due to an illness, which is really a terrible shame as she was quite good.

Yeah yer right, currently there's 2 women active in Ireland that I can think of;

Laura McGoran (FFPW)
    & Amy Voltage (PWU)

AWR's Rachel St.Claire is training in FFPW to learn to wrestle though.

Irish Whip had some Irish girl on their shows a while back, is she still active?
    I know Rebecca & Alex have both retired, Alex due to an illness, which is really a terrible shame as she was quite good.

I remember the girl you're talking about, Tara something? I have no idea whether she's still active to be honest, it's been a while since i've seen an irish whip show or even results. I think Mary McCarthy is on this Northside thing thats been advertised in the Irish promotions sticky, so i guess you could add her to the list of active wrestlers.

That's a big shame that Rebecca and Alex have retired, from what i saw of them, the were both very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

What he said!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I was at an NWA-I show in Newbridge a good few years back, and there was an intergender match between a still-green Rebecca Knox and some blond chick who I never heard from again. Anyone know who she was?

IWW have to be credited with showing the most commitment in attempting to build a women's division however; thier October 2002 card in the NBA had Cleopatra versus Pippa L'Vinn (both fly-ins), and they would later fly-in an American gal from CJ Summer's ACWA promotion (I could be wrong there) to trade her belt with Alex Breslin over a number of shows in 2005. They made yet another attempt to start a women's division a couple of years back, this time with Mary McCarty as the centre-piece, flying in Portia Perez and others to have matches with her. Weirdly, when I went to an IWW card in Naas that year, McCarty was relegated to referee duty, with the imports being booked to wrestle among themselves. Maybe Mary was injured, or maybe she upset someone in management. Thats just speculation but she did disapear shortly after.

The closest we ever got to a legitimate Irish women's division came with the NLW debut show when an Coleman and friends booked a match between Knox and then NLW-part owner Alex Breslin. Unfortunetly the match had to be cancelled when Knox accepted a Japanese tour instead. The next and last time I saw Breslin, she was absorbing a sick steel-chair shot from Jamie Coleman at an NLW card in Naas.

As you can see, the biggest problem any Irish group faces when trying to put a women's division together is the lack of female talent available to them. Oftentimes, they will stumble across someone and give a push on the basis that shes a girl, but she may not be able to handle the spot and disapear from wrestling shortly after having never really been developed properly at a pace that would have suited her.

Even when they were active on the Irish circuit, both Knox and Breslin spent most of their time wrestling guys, which is a shame.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sean Maxer
    Mad Man Manson
    Red Vinny
    Paddy Morrow
    George Mac
    Bingo Ballance
    Kev Rocks
    Irish Dragon (the original one)
    Sean South
    Joey Cabray
    Gonzo De Mondo
    Bam Katraz
    Mandrake
    Vic Viper

I know, some of the above have retired but the above is what I would consider my dream Irish Promotion lineup,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Gonzo wrote: »
    Sean Maxer
    Mad Man Manson
    Red Vinny
    Paddy Morrow
    George Mac
    Bingo Ballance
    Kev Rocks
    Irish Dragon (the original one)
    Sean South
    Joey Cabray
    Gonzo De Mondo
    Bam Katraz
    Mandrake
    Vic Viper

I know, some of the above have retired but the above is what I would consider my dream Irish Promotion lineup,

The 2006 irish wrestling scene called, it wants its stars back :D

Mandrake is the only one on there who could be considered 'new'... not such a good sign?

• Advertisement

What's George McFly upto these days?

What's George McFly upto these days?

I believe he goes by the name Georgie Mac these days. I think he wrestles for NLW/ AWR. Last appearance of his that I've heard of was on the AWR tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭GerrySoul

Georgie Mac has i think retired from wrestling and has taken up MMA instead. I could be totally wrong but when i was reffing the AWR tour thats what he told me........could be just a lying git who bruised my ribs and pulled muscles in my chest with a vicious elbow drop to my back(still love ya though) but thats what he told me.

Yeah Gorgie is supposed to be doin MMA, as is Steve Mulligan from those who remember him.

Yeah Gorgie is supposed to be doin MMA, as is Steve Mulligan from those who remember him.

You've just given me an idea for the Irish Promotions sticky. ;)

Feuds people.

Who would you put with who, what would interest you?

• Advertisement

Feuds people.

Who would you put with who, what would interest you?

Man, you're obsessed with fantasy booking! :)

I've always said it, but Paddy Morrow v Red Vinny would be a show stealer.
    Dunno if it's ever happened, but i don't think it has for obvious reasons.

Nah that's never happened.
    Sean Brennan vs Red Vinny was quite a match though.

I think Vinny has also fallen by the wayside of Irish Wrestling after his broken foot last year.

Tall long haired bloke who used be with IWW around 2005 by any chance?

I think Vinny has also fallen by the wayside of Irish Wrestling after his broken foot last year.

Is he back working? He was the best long term IWW talent of the lot of them.

Tall long haired bloke who used be with IWW around 2005 by any chance?

Is he back working? He was the best long term IWW talent of the lot of them.

Yeah that's Mulligan alright, one of the better natural talents to ever emerge from Irish Whip in my opinion. He trained in a Fight Factory session some time ago, but hasn't been interested in pro wrestling since he started taking his MMA seriously.

Vinny hasn't been on a show that I've heard of in quite some time no.

The scene is changing quite a bit, with so many of the older established guys like Devitt, SOS, Vinny, Carl O'Rourke and Blake Norton seemingly gone for one reason or another (be it success or failure), does anyone think the scene lacks depth talent wise?

No, not talent wise, but there are too many promotions. One should be enough for a country the size of Ireland. However, petty politics and egos will forever stand in the way of that happening.

• Advertisement

I'll have to disagree with that now.
    One is far too little, you need some sort of variation in the presentation and the style of wrestling on show. A monopoly would be horrendous for fans

Again, please can we keep this to fantasy stuff only, i've no problem with Irish promotions and their workings being discussed on the sticky. :)

As opposed to the utopia we have been blessed with up to now? If you live too far outside Dublin, you will see pretty much zero shows. As far as I am concerned, not a single Irish promotion has the right formula at present. As mentioned, the talent ids there, but politicking between the various promotions makes it impossible for them to sustain a decent relationship.

If one company can get it right, let there be others spinning off it.

AWR are the closest currently. IWW did a damn good job up to about 2 years ago. Lessons to be learned from the relative successes of these 2 would go a long way.

I will just point out here that I realise NWA was/is the best workrate wise, but as they have never really moved outside Bray, they cannot be considered a success on a national level.

*sigh* We've an Irish promotions sticky, and there it shall remain.
    lock.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement