Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hassetts Cross

Options
  • 13-03-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

Could anyone please let me know if the pub that used to be at Hassetts Cross in Limerick is still there and if so confirm name. I think it used to be called Hassetts pub about 10 yrs + ago. Have tried search on internet to no avail.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

its still there but closed down, I actually think its was up for sale there a year or so ago.

yes it is called hassetts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It looks like someone might be moving to re-open it...got a lick of paint last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

I live near the pub and there has been alot of comming and going lately, like cleaning up and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It is re-opening.

really? Thats been closed for years. Is it by the same owners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

There was a sold sign for ages. Like a previous poster has said there is a lick of paint put on so you never know.

i never saw the sold sign and I pass there like twice a day, ha just shows how much notice I take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mod21

Hi

Thank you all for your replys. I am actually trying to contact someone who use to work there about 1988 / 1989 lost touch with them then but would like to re-establish contact. Name is Paul O Neill and he lived in Moyross. If anyone could help it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was letting this run its course but bit the bullet and phoned my mother in law who in turn phoned Noel Hassett himself, who by the way, lives next door still.

He did finally sell it but is not privvy to discuss the plans for the place although it was him who paid for the painters.

All hush hush really.

My mother in law was the barlady for years upon years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Brendan Grace bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

i think the area could badly do with a decent bar, they might make a few bob off the students, just needs good doormen with some common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Berty wrote: »
    I was letting this run its course but bit the bullet and phoned my mother in law who in turn phoned Noel Hassett himself, who by the way, lives next door still.

He did finally sell it but is not privvy to discuss the plans for the place although it was him who paid for the painters.

All hush hush really.

My mother in law was the barlady for years upon years.

My father in law drank in there for years, probably knew each other well...:)

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    My father in law drank in there for years, probably knew each other well...:)

She is certainly one of "those" mothers who knows EVERYBODY anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

those?as in she a nosy parker??was hassetts not a seriously dodge pub

those?as in she a nosy parker??was hassetts not a seriously dodge pub

No, like a person who seems to know everybody for some ridiculuos reason. A person who cannot walk down the street without seeing or meeting far too many people. Everybody knows somebody like that.

Mostly mothers mind you.

Was Hassetts a dodge pub? I along with my GF used to visit the pub to see her mother some times and there were always some "heads" in there. I never saw any trouble but she could certainly tell some stories from over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

just a real clicky local pub like?your mother in law most be tough out so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I heard the place was a complete dive and full of scum. The area around Thomond could certainly do with a pub, not sure re-opening Hassets is the answer.

Aidric wrote: »
    I heard the place was a complete dive and full of scum. The area around Thomond could certainly do with a pub, not sure re-opening Hassets is the answer.

It has 8 pubs already. How many more does it need?

3 on High Road Thomondgate. 1 on Browns Quay, 3 on New Road and the dug out in Thomond Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think a nice and done up pub there would be really attract quite a lot of business on match days! And its closed enough to LIT to consider it becoming a student venue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

How do you know if you have not been there that is hearsay on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I heard the place was a complete dive and full of scum. .

I often had a few pints there . a good few years ago now, & never any problems with any one.

Often had a good chat & a bit of banter with some of the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I also drank there and never had any problems. I was told that Brendan Grace has something got to do with it now (don't know how true that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

golden wrote: »
    How do you know if you have not been there that is hearsay on your part.
    Eh..well observed. I never said I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

New signage went up yesterday...with the name Hassett's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yeah, I saw that last night too. The place is looking much better all of a sudden.

Rumours as of today from somebody clearly who knows but was too lazy to tell me anything due to hangover.

Some crowd who owns a number of pubs around Limerick have bought it and it is being done up as a rugby pub with lots of memorabilia(surprise surprise). I saw lots of carpenters and contractors heading in and out the doors today.

Tony Enright and Co have a lot of pubs around the city so possibly that group which is my GUESS only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

In the Post that it's opening at the end of the month. Still owned by a guy from Galway.

Hassetts opened tonight by special invitation only for a "soft opening".

I was given my invitation around an hour ago but as Im going on holidays tomorrow its the last thing I need.

All I was told was it has BIG TV's. Judging by the people that have been invited and the local funeral today it wont be anything of a soft opening. He is going to be mobbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

it will be mobbed on saturday so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Are you sure it is open again? My sister walked past it today and she said that there were painters and suchlike in there doing work. It would be good if it opened again. Since the Davin closed there is no pub on the northside. They would definitely do the business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement