Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the referee reset the tackle count for a high tackle?

• 13-03-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

As in halfway through the set of six. Watching the Broncos against the Cowboys and one team was on the ropes on the second tackle and put in a high challenge. I thought it would've been fair to "award a penalty" but allow play-on from a zero tackle. Unless the referee doesn't have that power. Anyone (toomevara :P) know if he could've resest the count without a stoppage in play in those circumstances?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

amacachi wrote: »
    As in halfway through the set of six. Watching the Broncos against the Cowboys and one team was on the ropes on the second tackle and put in a high challenge. I thought it would've been fair to "award a penalty" but allow play-on from a zero tackle. Unless the referee doesn't have that power. Anyone (toomevara :P) know if he could've resest the count without a stoppage in play in those circumstances?

I've never seen it happen. My guess is that even if it were allowed, the attacking team would not want it as they would not get the advantage of improved field position + set of 6 resulting from the penalty kick to touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

old gregg wrote: »
    I've never seen it happen. My guess is that even if it were allowed, the attacking team would not want it as they would not get the advantage of improved field position + set of 6 resulting from the penalty kick to touch.

I thought that was the basic purpose of the 0 tackle though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

old gregg wrote: »
    I've never seen it happen. My guess is that even

Nor I, don't really se the point, unless I'm missing a subtle tactical ramification...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

toomevara wrote: »
    Nor I, don't really se the point, unless I'm missing a subtle tactical ramification...

Can't remember what match it was, but it was at the second or third tackle and the attacking team had the others on the rope when a high tackle went in. The ref played advantage and the attacking team didn't get over and had to kick on the 5th. I just thought it would've been fair enough to start from 0 again, so the attacking team would've had another 3/4 plays before having to kick or handover.

Advertisement