Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loss of earnings due to NTL booking error

Options
  • 13-03-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

During the week I orgainised for N*L to install a phone and digibox this morning. (Friday 13th)

At about midday I started to ring N*L to see when the tecnician would arrive.
    The phone calls went on all day getting more and more heated with N*L promising to ring me back with an answer. The return calls never happened.

After the last phone call it turns out that the installer called yesterday.
    I never got a phone call yesterday and no note was left at the house.
    After speaking with about 5 different people I spoke to the girl that took my original call earlier in the week.

She argued that she remembers the call and that I booked Thursday afternoon for the install.

I know for a fact that the only time I can get off work to be at the house is on Friday mornings which is when I booked the appointment for.

At the moment I'm waiting for another call to see when they can install the phone and digibox.

I have now lost one full days wages because of this.

Do I have any hope of being reimbursed for loss of earnings because of this N*L error?

The lack of professionalism is disgusting. I am an mechanical engineer by trade and if I treated our customers like this I would quickly be signing on like the rest of the unlucky ones in the country.

Any advice appreciated.

Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Their T&CS almost certainly exclude themselves from having to pay damages in this sort of case.
    They truly are a pack of incompetents though. We just signed up for their new DVR box, was supposed to be 1 euro for the first 3 months, and 5 euro per month afterwards. Lo and belod the bill arrives with 10 euro a month on it... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wavey wrote: »
    Do I have any hope of being reimbursed for loss of earnings because of this N*L error?

Not a chance. They won't accept liability for your situation, and I'm not aware of any law that would be on your side, should you decide to pursue it.

I know you probably want the services they are offering, but you should take this evidence of incompetency, and quit while your ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Yep, I would imagine you would not be able to claim anything from them..
    The only recourse would have been to cancel and not be a customer..

While people continue to sign up and pay them, there is really no incentive for them to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

You have only been let down by them once? I was 3 times.

So I got a dish instead.

Miles better

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for the replies guys.

I kind of knew in the back of my mind that there would be no recourse on this. I was hoping some brilliant legal mind out there would come to my aid!

I've had BB and basic tv with them for 4 years. The service is fine as long as you dont try and change anything or have to deal with the agents over the phone.

I would cancel the services but I'm nut sure the competition would be any better. I definately wouldnt go with Eircom.

I'm actually paying 5E a month for an extra connection point in the house. I think I'll cancel that now and see how long it takes them to get into my house to physically disconnect it.

Disgruntled in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'm actually paying 5E a month for an extra connection point in the house. I think I'll cancel that now and see how long it takes them to get into my house to physically disconnect it.

Disgruntled in Dublin.
    They probably will never come, but will charge you a €10 downgrade fee!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I have now lost one full days wages because of this.

What do you think, now in all seriousness??? Your're an engineer ffs, you should be able to work this one out. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What do you think, now in all seriousness??? Your're an engineer ffs, you should be able to work this one out. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In the industry I work in we would immediatley issue a claim against a supplier if they cost us time or money because of a mistake on their side.
    So I dont think the question was that inappropriate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A company such as NTL would most likely record all calls, and it is your right to request a copy, afaik, they are obligated to give it to you.

I could be wrong though.

In the industry I work in we would immediatley issue a claim against a supplier if they cost us time or money because of a mistake on their side.
    So I dont think the question was that inappropriate.

Jesus if we all carried on like this what would the world be like??? Next thing we'll be seeing is if we go out and pick up a cold, we'll be claiming from the person we think gave it to us!

This compensation mentality does my f*cking head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I dont know Darragh, if i made an appointment with a company and brought in extra staff to deal with it and then they didnt show up i would look for any expenses to be reimbursed.

i cant see why these companies cant make an appointment and then keep it, the idea that the op should wait in all day because they are inefficient is crazy.

if you made a hair appointment or dentist appointment for 10am and you were left waiting until after dinner how would you feel??

Op you wont get any compo but that doesnt make it right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus if we all carried on like this what would the world be like??? Next thing we'll be seeing is if we go out and pick up a cold, we'll be claiming from the person we think gave it to us!

WTF are you talking about?

The OP lost a days wages because of their mistake. It's hardly unreasonable to want them to cover the costs. He's not talking about suing for millions ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

OP, you might be able to take a civil case against them and claim for the loss that way (suffered as a result of their negligence). However there are all sorts of factors that need to be considered, so you really need to speak to a solicitor.

I'm guessing, and just that, s/he'll advise you it's not worth the risk, but if you're intent on putting it right, you'll get a free initial consult from many solicitors to give you an idea if there's any point in going ahead with it.

I'd love to see NTL especially, but any other company noted for no-shows, being brought to justice for this.

Good luck with it, if you do go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

I had problems with this crowd before so I moved to a different supplier. I think if enough people hassled them for no show, they might do something about it. We put up with too much shoddy services from all the supply companies, thats why they keep doing it

Darragh,

I dont think you understand the difference between a legitimate business claim and some knacker sueing a restaurant because they burnt their tongue on a cup of coffee or "slipped" in the toilets.

I am all against the claim culture as it increase insurance premiums for everyone.

The type of claim I am talking about does not involve any insurance company. It's purely based on one party not complying with their side of a contract.

TBH I wont follow up on this as it is not worth my time.

Thanks for all the replies though guys.

Wavey

Shelflife wrote: »
    I dont know Darragh, if i made an appointment with a company and brought in extra staff to deal with it and then they didnt show up i would look for any expenses to be reimbursed.

i cant see why these companies cant make an appointment and then keep it, the idea that the op should wait in all day because they are inefficient is crazy.

if you made a hair appointment or dentist appointment for 10am and you were left waiting until after dinner how would you feel??

Op you wont get any compo but that doesnt make it right.

I'd feel p*ssed off and I'd take my business else where. NTL are WELL KNOWN for sh*te customer service so I wouldn't be going near them in the first place. Only a few months ago they made it onto an RTE documentary specifically produced to show instances of absolutely sh*t customer service!!!
    WTF are you talking about?

The OP lost a days wages because of their mistake. It's hardly unreasonable to want them to cover the costs. He's not talking about suing for millions ffs.

You don't sue or claim when this happens. You just give the business to the competitor and chalk it up to experience.
    Darragh,

I dont think you understand the difference between a legitimate business claim and some knacker sueing a restaurant because they burnt their tongue on a cup of coffee or "slipped" in the toilets.

I am all against the claim culture as it increase insurance premiums for everyone.

The type of claim I am talking about does not involve any insurance company. It's purely based on one party not complying with their side of a contract.

TBH I wont follow up on this as it is not worth my time.

Thanks for all the replies though guys.

Wavey

Claiming for something like this, or attempting to, to my mind is just rediculous, sorry. You're dead right to be annoyed, don't give them the business, and that'll sort that out! If we were all to claim from someone everytime we were let down, in business or in personal life, the world would be a sorry place I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GS_DBA

Same thing happened to me, i wrote a letter to customer service about my loss of earning etc, eventually got a mail back that they were giving me €60 discount on my next bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Complain and keep complaining - ask for the complaint to be escalated as per their customer charter. I had alot of hassle with their front line support - very ignorant and rude. Got the issue escalated and sorted within a day with a discount and an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

Why do people even hook up with NTL - they are ****e and everyone knows it.

Sky is where its at - great products and the service is impecable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Oasis44 wrote: »
    Why do people even hook up with NTL - they are ****e and everyone knows it.

Sky is where its at - great products and the service is impecable
    but you need a phone line (for broadband) which means paying line rental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

voxpop wrote: »
    Complain and keep complaining - ask for the complaint to be escalated as per their customer charter. I had alot of hassle with their front line support - very ignorant and rude. Got the issue escalated and sorted within a day with a discount and an apology.

I agree with you voxpop,and I think if more people who are p****d off with this shower did complain more maby it would wake them up to give people a better service:(.

Advertisement