Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the single €urrency of the "New World Order" now becoming a reality?

• 13-03-2009 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Architect of the €uro backs UN global currency

It was only a matter of time after the fall out of the Global Economic Crash that we hera of this, kind of half expecting it but not this soon. :).

President Nursultan Nazarbayev has won backing for his plan for a single world currency from an intellectual architect of the euro currency, Nobel-prize winner Professor Robert Mundell.

Nazarbayev, speaking at an economic forum in the glitzy new capital he has built on the Kazakh steppe, defended his proposal for the “acmetal” world currency

And he received intellectual support from the Canadian economist Prof Mundell, who helped lay the intellectual groundwork for Europe’s single currency.

“I must say that I agree with President Nazarbayev on his statement and many of the things he said in his plan, the project he made for the world currency, and I believe I’m right on track with what he’s saying,” Prof Mundell said, adding the idea held “great promise”.

Mr Nazarbayev and Prof Mundell urged the Group of 20 leading developed and developing economies to form a working group on the proposal at their summit on the global economic crisis in London on April 2.

“We should deliver our thoughts and the thoughts of this conference to the leaders of those countries,” Mr Nazarbayev said, referring to the G8 and G20 nations.

Mr Nazarbayev, who has held his post since Soviet times and has seen his oil-rich state hit badly by the crisis, unveiled his proposal last month and said yesterday the UN should oversee the currency’s introduction.

Prof Mundell has previously suggested single currencies are only appropriate for countries with similar economies.

Mr Nazarbayev’s coining of “acmetal” combines the Greek word “acme,” meaning peak or best, and “capital.”

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D96RPSIO0.htm

intromap.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭jackiebrown

Architect of the Euro backs UN global currency

KAZAKH President Nursultan Nazarbayev has won backing for his plan for a single world currency from an intellectual architect of the euro currency, Nobel-prize winner Professor Robert Mundell.

Nazarbayev, speaking at an economic forum in the glitzy new capital he has built on the Kazakh steppe, defended his proposal for the “acmetal” world currency

And he received intellectual support from the Canadian economist Prof Mundell, who helped lay the intellectual groundwork for Europe’s single currency.

“I must say that I agree with President Nazarbayev on his statement and many of the things he said in his plan, the project he made for the world currency, and I believe I’m right on track with what he’s saying,” Prof Mundell said, adding the idea held “great promise”.

Mr Nazarbayev and Prof Mundell urged the Group of 20 leading developed and developing economies to form a working group on the proposal at their summit on the global economic crisis in London on April 2.

“We should deliver our thoughts and the thoughts of this conference to the leaders of those countries,” Mr Nazarbayev said, referring to the G8 and G20 nations.

Mr Nazarbayev, who has held his post since Soviet times and has seen his oil-rich state hit badly by the crisis, unveiled his proposal last month and said yesterday the UN should oversee the currency’s introduction.

Prof Mundell has previously suggested single currencies are only appropriate for countries with similar economies.

Mr Nazarbayev’s coining of “acmetal” combines the Greek word “acme,” meaning peak or best, and “capital.”

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D96RPSIO0.htm

It all depends who controls it at the end of the day. I wouldn't be against having a GPS chip installed in me cause I've nothing to hide and it would eradicate crime overnight (if everyone had one). But in todays world it'd be used to charge me for things better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Why would this be a bad thing?
    Why would you think a single currency is part of an NWO plot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Judging by runtodahills post it seems to me as if he is for the single currency.

I sure am too, it will make things so much easier when travelling abroad and will mean that commission and conversion rates will be a thing of the past. I doubt the banks will want that though..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would love there to be one currency, one country and one language in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Gordon wrote: »
    Judging by runtodahills post it seems to me as if he is for the single currency.
    To a point until it becomes cashless which is inevitable.

• Advertisement

And why would a one world currency lead to a cashless system exactly?

To a point until it becomes cashless which is inevitable.
    You wouldn't like a cashless society? A society that does not need money to fill the coffers of the greedy? You like the fact that there is such a thing as 'money'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Veni Vedi Vici

Hmm. One world currency would centralize a tremendous amount of global control. I can't see that level of power unfolding well at all.

Hmm. One world currency would centralize a tremendous amount of global control. I can't see that level of power unfolding well at all.
    Interesting theory, you are saying that if this happened - everyone in the world would have control of the world? You and I would have the power to be in the centre, as would everyone else in the world? So, not one person, but everyone would be in control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Veni Vedi Vici

Interesting theory, you are saying that if this happened - everyone in the world would have control of the world? You and I would have the power to be in the centre, as would everyone else in the world? So, not one person, but everyone would be in control?

:)

Nope, wasn't saying that at all. I was referring to the institutes behind the monetary system.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't like a cashless society? A society that does not need money to fill the coffers of the greedy? You like the fact that there is such a thing as 'money'?
    Once the system becomes "cashless" a third party becomes involved with each personal financial transaction. It is digitally logged. That third party can then pinpoint the exact location of each purchase, who made it, what was purchased and the exact time. For this type of technology to get into the hands of a single Global governing body is an extremely dangerous scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 78john

I think my grandchildren will have the same units of measurement regarding spending power no matter where they are in the world, although I reckon the yanks are going to be highly influential in whatever comes about. I honestly believe the world recession right now i orcestrated, and has been years in the making, it is such a huge thing to get ones head around, but we are moving closer toward widespread "non permenance" in jobs, just look at the percentage of the population in this country who are dependant on the state compared to a decade ago.That is a power the state has over us now, and a constant truth throughout history is when rulers get any form of power, they turn the wheels to make that power grow instead of fall back into the hamds of the masses.
    God help those yet to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

Well 78john were moving towards a defining moment in earths history. It could go either way to be honest. There's gonna be a lot of panic around though, which is dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Testing times, trust humans to make the assbackwards decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Testing times, trust humans to make the assbackwards decision
    Well you could ask the monkeys but they'd only throw their own sh*t at you, so we'll have to stick to human nature. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

frankly I trust the monkeys more they're not covering up their sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Once the system becomes "cashless" a third party becomes involved with each personal financial transaction. It is digitally logged. That third party can then pinpoint the exact location of each purchase, who made it, what was purchased and the exact time. For this type of technology to get into the hands of a single Global governing body is an extremely dangerous scenario.
    They do this already. Banks know of your every transactions via debit/credit cards, and I don't think having a single currency or a cashless society would mean banks would become obsolete! This "third party" you speak of will still be the banks.

What would they do with this information anywho? No more than what supermarkets do with the info they gather from clubcards, I'd imagine.

They do this already. Banks know of your every transactions via debit/credit cards, and I don't think having a single currency or a cashless society would mean banks would become obsolete! This "third party" you speak of will still be the banks.
    Banks around the world are becoming more and more "state" controlled, just like the former Soviet Union. The authorities will have instant access to all your accounts and purchasing habits, they will know immediately if your purchasing habits exceed your income.
    What would they do with this information anywho? No more than what supermarkets do with the info they gather from clubcards, I'd imagine.
    Loyalty cards are just a preview of things to come. Your future personal electronic cash card will do the exact same job as the loyalty card.

People using the anonymity of cash foolishly broadcast their purchasing habits when they use these cards.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/loyalty_cards.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Banks around the world are becoming more and more "state" controlled, just like the former Soviet Union. The authorities will have instant access to all your accounts and purchasing habits, they will know immediately if your purchasing habits exceed your income.
    Loyalty cards are just a preview of things to come. Your future personal electronic cash card will do the exact same job as the loyalty card.

People using the anonymity of cash foolishly broadcast their purchasing habits when they use these cards.

and i thought it was only the americans who looked for reds under the bed

• Advertisement

So what's the big deal? What if they know my purchasing habits are greater than my income? Isn't that what credit cards allow us to do? Will it mean that we'll have to declare all "birthday money" we receive in the future? I don't see what your point is (yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I got an email from Amazon today and it had a whole list of offers based on what I've purchased previously. The only thing is I rarely buy anything for myself on Amazon, it's usually presents so in practice they know basically nothing about my purchasing habits.

The black economy operates in every country in the world and it could be argued that we're often better for it in the long run, as long as it isn't more than a small part of the overall economy. I can't ever see cash being replaced.

meglome wrote: »
    I can't ever see cash being replaced.
    It is inevitable and will be replaced.

In the not so distant future notes & coins will no longer be legal tender.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=91190

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

It is inevitable and will be replaced.

In the not so distant future notes & coins will no longer be legal tender.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=91190

The article you link to discusses the possibility of a new form of currency for international transactions - which aren't carried out in cash as it is.

In otherwords, it has nothing to do with the suggestion that notes & coins will no longer be legal tender.

bonkey wrote: »
    The article you link to discusses the possibility of a new form of currency for international transactions - which aren't carried out in cash as it is.

In otherwords, it has nothing to do with the suggestion that notes & coins will no longer be legal tender.
    NFC phone transactions and smartcards will take off huge in the coming years.

80% of the London Transport commuters are now using prepaid smart cards. The same cards can double up as an electronic purse. 5 years ago all these customers had the anonymity of cash.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/compulife/article01/indexn2_html?pdate=040309&ptitle=Electronic%20cash%20on%20mobile%20phones%20underway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

are you presenting this cashless society thing as fact or opinion?

indough wrote: »
    are you presenting this cashless society thing as fact or opinion?
    The full blown cashless society is a fact and is on the way whether you like it or not.

The full blown cashless society is a fact and is on the way whether you like it or not.

I had a look around today for the cashless society we are in and couldn't find it. I'll suppose I'll have to wait. How long do I have to wait?

I don't think many people would be bothered by a cashless society. But I thought you were goin' to present to the forum some conspiracy as to how this "new world order" will use this against us. It's a shame coz I would be quite interested to read what you've to say. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

NFC phone transactions and smartcards will take off huge in the coming years.

I take it that your complete change of "things that will replace cash" is a tacit way of saying "Yes, bonkey, you're right. Digital gold has nothing to do with the replacement of cash".

I ask myself why you would try and pass off "digital gold" as part of your argument for the end of cash...and I find myself lacking a good answer.

If you genunely believed that the likes of Near Field Communication and the like were enough to spell the end of cash, then you would have no reason to be trying to pass off the likes of "digital gold" as being part of it, when as little as a cursory reading of the article shows that it has nothing to do with cash. This in itself begs the question as to why you'd offer it as such. Did you think no-one would look at the "evidence" you provided...limiting themselves to perhaps just the title?

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here, but I find it hard to believe that someone can genuinely believe that they have a solid, evidence-backed case and at the same time add anything and everything as much as tangentially related to their argument.

Its a bit like back in the 911 discussion days, when people would offer some "unanswerable" smoking gun, only to have it answered and to counter with a "ok, but what about...."

To my mind, its a tacit admission that you know yourself that your case is weaker than you claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

bonkey wrote: »
    Its a bit like back in the 911 discussion days, when people would offer some "unanswerable" smoking gun, only to have it answered and to counter with a "ok, but what about...."

Whataboutery is great fun and never ends.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

One world currency is not a good idea. since money is not a good system as we al know:rolleyes:. It' up there with most of the evil we create in this world.

A global currency just gives the richest more domination of the planet.

The only solution is no money. End the divide of this balony your only worth what's in your pocket. This is way we live today. And it's quite utterly sad.:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there was a time when the euro and dollar were equal at 100 yen so it could have been done then without having to worry about exchange rates

but it ain't so simple and it would make a lot of specualtors broke

also for those who control everything currency rates are a great way to make lots of money invisibally who thinks that they aren't buying up lots of stock at rock bottom prices

if you or I make money on a deal or trade we have to pay tax on that transaction but they are allowed multiple deals before they have to pay. Oil goes though about 30 traders before it actually travels and each takes a slice, the price is totally articial and nothing to do with supply and demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 78john

I look at it this way, If i left the house to go out for the day and I left my money at home but forgot my plastic, I would feel very restricted, as oppesed to the opposite, when I have my laser card(providing there is something in the bank,lol) i feel much more at ease financially.
    what about having a currency that only exists for the purpose of trade etc. ie like when the euro came in, we where trading and exchanging for a couple of years before anybody actually SEEN a Euro coin or note, I think something like that is more likely.
    ANybody ever look at those documentaries about the Federal Reserve and how it was set up etc.? very interesting/frightning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

well if not gold Ibid then what, what will we back our currency with, as opposed to just inventing it out of thin air, you can no longer dismiss that point as quantative easing is the new buzzword of the times, which basicly amounts to printing money from nothing, what is this money backed by????

what is its intrinsic value?

You missed the point of the post.

By about six miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You missed the point of the post.

By about six miles.

Then make it clearer rather than just post a link?

well if not gold Ibid then what, what will we back our currency with, as opposed to just inventing it out of thin air, you can no longer dismiss that point as quantative easing is the new buzzword of the times, which basicly amounts to printing money from nothing, what is this money backed by????

what is its intrinsic value?

What's the intrinsic value of gold? Can you eat it? Does it put a roof over your head? Only if people place value on it, just like cash.

6th wrote: »
    Then make it clearer rather than just post a link?

I would have, if I felt it needed any clarification whatsoever or if I felt it would contribute to the discussion.

I linked to a post that had one sentence referring to (i) a proposed global currency; and (ii) the gold standard. Despite it being only one sentence long, some people seem to have forgotten about the first half.

Rather than going on an off-topic tangent about quantitative easing that has been discussed to death (before the tenure of your good self), I dismissed MC by stating he had missed the point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

meglome wrote: »
    What's the intrinsic value of gold? Can you eat it? Does it put a roof over your head? Only if people place value on it, just like cash.
    A lot of people in India eat it for medicinal reasons
    and yes you could make a roof if had enough, the commies were going to make toilets out of it too , probably never need to clean them :) , versatile stuff

Discussed? we've discussed things now eh? thats your idea of discussion, High handed dismissal and a refusal to acknowledge that you may, just may, have been Very wrong about a few of your Fundamentals of Economics.

Oh and gold is a tangible physical product, it has many practical aplications, it has uses in science and engineering. its also Shiny.

FIAT currency is a nothing concept

actually I'm reminded of the old car company joke

Fix
    It
    Again
    Tomorrow

A lot of people in India eat it for medicinal reasons
    and yes you could make a roof if had enough, the commies were going to make toilets out of it too , probably never need to clean them :) , versatile stuff

Wouldn't like my new gold roof to fall on me :)
    Oh and gold is a tangible physical product, it has many practical aplications, it has uses in science and engineering. its also Shiny.

I never said gold had no uses or wasn't lovely to look at. But money and gold are just as tangible or intangible as each other if you're looking to use them as a currency. If you're sitting starving by the side of the road having money or gold can only help you if other people place value in them and will trade. You could use glass beads or stones or whatever as long as the people you are trading with place value in them.

yes Meglome, but as far as shiny things go banknotes or digital cash aint even in the same league as glass beads

yes Meglome, but as far as shiny things go banknotes or digital cash aint even in the same league as glass beads

Lot's of thing have been traded over the millennia and most wouldn't have been shiny. As long as the people trading place value in the objects being traded that's all that matters. I'll say it again, gold is pretty useless to ensure your survival if people don't place value in it.

Gold is a Metal, its a non reactive, durable, dense Metal that is reasonably easy to work

therefore you can make things out of gold

for example if we were both dying of thirst by a well, I have a few ounces of gold and you have a fistfull of 50 euro notes, I can fashion a cup from the gold to collect water, whaqt can you do with your small pieces of paper?

if we are starving in the forest, I can fashion a weapon (admittedly a one shot stabbing mostly bludgenong weapon, but a weapon none the less) from the gold

you might want to try Death of a thousand papercuts on it

say we both meet a woman, the last non ferral female on the planet
    We try to woo her,

me by fashinong jewlery from the gold

you by Stuffing the front of yer trousers with the little bits of paper.

most of the stuff used as currency through the ages had an intrinsic value based on one of these principles of the basic nescessities of life

Food clothing shelter Poontang

Gold is a Metal, its a non reactive, durable, dense Metal that is reasonably easy to work

therefore you can make things out of gold

for example if we were both dying of thirst by a well, I have a few ounces of gold and you have a fistfull of 50 euro notes, I can fashion a cup from the gold to collect water, whaqt can you do with your small pieces of paper?

if we are starving in the forest, I can fashion a weapon (admittedly a one shot stabbing mostly bludgenong weapon, but a weapon none the less) from the gold

you might want to try Death of a thousand papercuts on it

say we both meet a woman, the last non ferral female on the planet
    We try to woo her,

me by fashinong jewlery from the gold

you by Stuffing the front of yer trousers with the little bits of paper.

most of the stuff used as currency through the ages had an intrinsic value based on one of these principles of the basic nescessities of life

Food clothing shelter Poontang
    Dude what are you on about?
    That's not the reason gold is valuable. In fact gold is crap for every thing you listed except for jewelry.
    By your logic iron is much much more valuable than gold.

The only reason gold has value is because people put value on it.
    Just like they do with cash or goods or labour or services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

This is getting ridiculus.

King Mob wrote: »
    Dude what are you on about?
    That's not the reason gold is valuable. In fact gold is crap for every thing you listed except for jewelry.
    You obviously haven't a clue about Gold, its properties or its uses.

Gold is the most malleable and ductile of all known metals. A single ounce of gold can be beaten into a sheet measuring roughly 5 meters on a side. Thin sheets of gold, known as gold leaf, are primarily used in arts and crafts for gilding. One sheet of gold leaf can be as thin as 0.000127 millimeters, or about 400 times thinner than a human hair.

Pure gold is soft and is usually alloyed with other metals, such as silver, copper, platinum or palladium, to increase its strength. Gold alloys are used to make jewelry, decorative items, and coins. The amount of gold in an alloy is measured with a unit called a carat. One carat is equal to one part in twenty-four, so an 18 carat gold ring contains 18 parts pure gold and 6 parts alloy material.

Gold is a good conductor of heat and electricity and does not tarnish when it is exposed to the air, so it can be used to make electrical connectors and printed circuit boards. Gold is also a good reflector of infrared radiation and can be used to help shield spacecraft and skyscrapers from the sun's heat. Gold coated mirrors can be used to make telescopes that are sensitive to infrared light.

A radioactive isotope of gold, gold-198, is used for treating cancer. Gold sodium thiosulfate (AuNa3O6S4) is used as a treatment for arthritis. Chlorauric acid (HAuCl4) is used to preserve photographs by replacing the silver atoms present in an image.

Gold has been used in dental work for centuries and is still used today for crowns and fillings, it does not tarnish when oxidized.

In an event of a "Global Electronic" currency merge we could possibly see a revival of gold being used as an "unauthorized" underworld trading currency. It is and always will be highly sought after.

Discussed? we've discussed things now eh? thats your idea of discussion, High handed dismissal and a refusal to acknowledge that you may, just may, have been Very wrong about a few of your Fundamentals of Economics.

Sigh.

At least part of the problem is that it's a tangible product. There were much bigger problems, too. The gold standard wasn't abolished for no good reason. So you are absolutely correct, I refuse to accept that I was wrong on this. You, on the other hand, have completely buried your head in the sand and are refusing to accept the reasons why the standard was abolished and overlook the fact that the vast, vast majority of people who know more about this you than completely scoff at the idea, because it's stupidly restrictive, sure that the price of gold is somehow re-assuring. High-handed dismissals have their place.

Again, even though the first link I provided was only a sentence long, you're forgetting the first half. There was also reference to CTers fears of a single currency, i.e. the point of this thread. Regardless of your views of a gold standard (which would make recessions worse and promote usury - another CT standard), bringing in a global currency would essentially lead to a return in the gold standard because there would be no trading in exchange rates. So you have people afraid of a global currency and of floating exchange rates; people afraid of discretionary monetary policy but also of usury; people afraid of inflation but also of independent central banks; people afraid of independent central banks but also of unemployment. All these are essentially the opposite of each other. The link quite neatly shows how the CT "community" will claim a conspiracy regardless of the truth of the matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement