Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student being f*****d around be CDVEC..any advice?

Options
  • 13-03-2009 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

I went back to college&im doin IT in NCI. One of the main reasons i went back was cos studentfinance.ie says as a mature student I'm automaticallly entitled to a grant. But I'd moved home to my aunts to help her out with my uncle who's dying, I was his carer on carers allowance. The CDVEC have moved the goalposts a million times. Initially it was i had to prove I was an independent at that address, so apart from the SW giving me a statement of earnings for the year on the carers, the Community welfare officer gave me a letter saying I was assessed by her as an independent adult at that address for 2007.

Now, the CDVEC are saying they want my aunts P60 for 2007 OR my fathers for the same year! I'm 33 and havent lived with my dad since I was 18! I don't see how either have any bearing on my status as I was living in my aunts home but I was getting rent allowance and as i said, assessed as an independent.

Other than getting onto my TD, i've no idea how to proceed, My aunts earnings for that year would cut me out of any grant as would my dads but as i said I don't see how it has any bearing as I wasn't living off them but I was contributing to the household through rent.

Can anyone advise or give me some help as to how to get around this?

They've moved the goalposts umpteen times, everytime I get what they ask for, they change it and say they want something totally else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

You should try citizens advise for some answers. But I do know if you're getting carers alowance you're not entitled to a grant, as I've already looked into this. Unless it was a part time course and you don't go over a certain amount of hours. If you're a full time carer they say you should be there, 'caring' for that person. If however you gave up the carers allowance I'd say you'd get it.
    I'm a carer to my nephew and the grant each month works out about the same as carers. I've gone over it and over it, even though he's in school till 3pm I'm still not supposed to be doing any courses etc. Wrong really.
    Personally can't see why they need all that paperwork from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP. I'm sorry to say but there is no automatic entitlement to the grant for anyone.

The rule regarding residency is that if you live in the family home you are assessed on your parents income no matter what age you are.

Getting on to your TD would be a good idea at this stage. Also have a look at www.studentfinance.ie as it will go through a lot of the ins and outs of the grants system.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I had a similar problem, with regard to being an independent when applying to Co. Council for HEG.

I was living on the other side of the country (from my parents), had not been a dependent since I was 17 and they still wanted proof.

the only way they got off my case about it was that I rang the actual grant department and told them that I have not spoken to my parents since I was 20. (not true). It is ridiculous.

As for the carer allowance.... I reckon it will be assesed as income for the grant application. I don't know a whole lot about the VEC application process. I was in reciept of social welfare payment for the basis period of assessment, and it was considered income and the thresholds are set very low.

Get on to local TD, and keep hounding the apllications office. Insisting on not being a dependent and ask them how do you prove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi OP,

From the Higher Education Grant Scheme 2008/09:

"dependent mature candidate" means a mature candidate who was ordinarily resident with his/her parents from 1st October 2007

"independent mature candidate" means a mature candidate who was not ordinarily resident with his/her parents from 1st October 2007

"normal residence" means the permanent or ordinary address of the candidate's parents or guardians from 1st October 2007. In the case of an independent mature candidate, his/her residence means the permanent or ordinary address of the independent mature candidate from 1st October 2007.

All of the above refers to parents, not aunts. Unless the VEC are claiming that your aunt is your "guardian", I really don't see where they're coming from.

Useful FAQs: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/hegs/

Bob

Advertisement