Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incomplete Items

Options
  • 13-03-2009 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what the legal situation is here. I bought a hose and reel "reduced to clear" in a large DIY shop. When I got it home I realised some of the fittings were missing. I brought it back to the shop and was told that the missing fittings were the reason it was reduced.
    Do retailers not have a responsibility to tell you, up front, if something is incomplete? While I had no difficulty getting a refund, I did have the hassle and expense of going back to the shop. I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known there were parts missing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yeah, they should say if it is reduced due to damage or parts missing. You can't be expected to know all the parts aren't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

all goods sold must be fit for their purpose - if there is a fualt with the item the customer must be made aware of the fault before the sale is made.

I haven't looked on here for a while but I remember when I worked in retail it was in one of the National Consumer Agency guides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Just go back and say FIT FOR THE PURPOSE.

Worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Yes they should have told you. IF you or someone else had come a long distance to buy that you might not have been able to change it

Advertisement