Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bmus Entrance test

• 13-03-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Directions to the BMus Entrance test? Which building would it be in?
    Anyone heading up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It'll be on south campus somewhere. Have you ever been to the college before?

South campus is 3 minutes away from the train station.

When you get off the train, there's a small bridge over the river just outside station. Cross it, and follow the path left around to the town.

You'll be on a kinda mucky path and under loads of trees. On your right hand side you'll pass a pub called The Roost and an off-licence with a yellow front. Keep going and you'll get to some traffic lights at a cross-roads and a phone box. Don't cross the lights. Turn left and walk towards the college gates.

There's a small security hut just inside the gate, ask for directions to the exam there.

Best of luck in the exam - you won't need any luck unless you're a total and utter goddamn moron - and God speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'm going too. I aced that mock entrance exam they posted out, so it shouldn't be too hard. It's the audition I'm worried about :(

Some audition tips:

*Smile and be as crazy enthusiastic as you can. Wave your arms and stammer while talking about some musician you love.
    *Don't mention pop music at all i.e. Beatles, Bob Marley, etc, even if you think their music is art.
    *Have some 'favourite' part from a Beethoven piano sonata or something. Even better, have a bit of blurb on a 20th Century piece like Stravinsky's ''Rite of Spring'' or something.
    *Practise singing intervals. They'll ask you to hum a minor 3rd or major 6th or something.
    *Know your theory. I got asked to say how many flats where in Ab major.

The audition is - really! - very very informal and friendly.

Also, if you're not into classical music, don't go to Maynooth. People liek that just f*ck it up for the rest of us.

(I am quite bitter about the BMus course here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Ok, I don't know any of those.. But see, its not that I want to learn see, I want to go to this course and learn all there is to know.. genuinely. I love all types of Music, from Abba To Zappa, classical music, I do love it, and can appriciate it.. Is it worth my while? I was struggling with the test they sent out. But in truth my forte is in how much I really want to learn all of the above. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

The test was in Hume last year, on the north campus, and as Banquo says its been held on the south campus in the years before.

Did you get a letter? That should tell you where it is.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    Some audition tips:

*Smile and be as crazy enthusiastic as you can. Wave your arms and stammer while talking about some musician you love.
    *Don't mention pop music at all i.e. Beatles, Bob Marley, etc, even if you think their music is art.
    *Have some 'favourite' part from a Beethoven piano sonata or something. Even better, have a bit of blurb on a 20th Century piece like Stravinsky's ''Rite of Spring'' or something.
    *Practise singing intervals. They'll ask you to hum a minor 3rd or major 6th or something.
    *Know your theory. I got asked to say how many flats where in Ab major.

The audition is - really! - very very informal and friendly.

Also, if you're not into classical music, don't go to Maynooth. People liek that just f*ck it up for the rest of us.

(I am quite bitter about the BMus course here)

I won't be playing anything like a sonata... Try Satie's first Gymnopedie and Bach's Bouree (Lute Suite in E Minor). Not quite the same standard :(

But Stravinsky's my favourite composer! :)

I'm pretty well-versed in theory and I can sing some intervals...

It's the kids who've been playing violin since they were four I'm worried about :p

You shouldn't be worried about that, Maynooth doesn't have a reputation for performance, so many of Ireland's child prodigies go to DIT or the academy.

The college knows this, so **** up and down your instrument is not expected. I had a grade 6 piano when I entered the BMus.

Saying that though, I've improved so much over my year and a half. My musicianship has greatly increased, got a grade 8 last year (hate them, but good for CV's) and I'm working on Diploma standard rep.

Immersing yourself in music has that effect, as well as befriending superior musicians - they give you that extra drive to better yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Immersing yourself in music has that effect, as well as befriending superior musicians - they give you that extra drive to better yourself.

Amen to that!!

Tell me about it! I was a party last night where a guy decided to sight read Clair de Lune. So I've been practising all day :eek:

I should also point out that while NUIM doesn't have a rep for performance, it does have an exception in the form of organ! Woops, sorry Prof Gil.

As well as that, it is a fine place to study Composition, and Martin O'Leary is a wonderful lecturer in both composition and...well andthing else he lectures in! :)

I'm not hot on Musicology, but Lorraine Byrne Bodley is an excellent advocater of unknown music, and I think, only think mind, that she might possibly know a thing or two about Schubert. Possibly. Maybe.

On top of her (hehe) is Bara Boydell. Love him.

What I dislike is the seeming uninterest in Jazz in the dept, with the exception of Adrian Scahill and Gordan Delap. That I know of.

Conversation with the Prof:

Me: "Can I play Jazz for my practicals?"
    Prof: "No." Proceeds to offers me tea and crumpets.

Seriously though, I do like her, but I cannot understand the mentality of allowing Trad Music in a practical then denying Jazz.

• Advertisement

I cannot understand the mentality of allowing Trad Music in a practical then denying Jazz.

Hahaha, I'm sure many would agree with you :p

I'm really excited about the entrance test, I'd really like to study music there. Composition's my biggest interest.

Jaaaa, Composition does indeed rule!!
    And you lucky sods get to do it in 1st year!!
    Not that I didn't do it in 1st year, just on the DL!

secretly thinking of ****ing up my Leaving cert so I don't go to Mary I and instead be "forced" to NUIM :)

Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.
    Go to DIT.

Or anywhere else. Stay far, far away from the NUIM Music Dept. Unless through some miracle you get Adrian Scahill for every single lecture - including the 2nd subject you've to take in 1st year - then steer clear of this place.

I don't really want to elaborate on why I hate this place (the music dept, not the entire university) with the heat of a nova (I will if pushed further on the subject), just take my word for it.

Now run. Run as fast as you can.

On a less dramatic note ( :P ), go where ever you want.

Personally, I've had nothing but good times in the Maynooth BMus course.

Aye. While personally I hate it and every little tiny thing about it and would love to set fire to the place, that is only my experience. A lot of people love it and have found it to enrich their musicianship greatly.

How well is jazz respected up there?

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    How well is jazz respected up there?

Meh. There's a module, but it's more so they can say that they've a module in it.

If you're into jazz for serious then you already know everything in it.

True, Mild interest in jazz here, I.e have a vynls and a few albums and a handful of musicans I quite like, I'd love to learn more on it.

If you weren't a classical Musican would you be welcome up there? I play guitar Moderate/good kinda level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

How do they regard classic rock? :D There's a reason we maths people don't let you music heads drink our water. Rubbish taste in music ;)

• Advertisement

True, Mild interest in jazz here, I.e have a vynls and a few albums and a handful of musicans I quite like, I'd love to learn more on it.

If you weren't a classical Musican would you be welcome up there? I play guitar Moderate/good kinda level.

Well ye kinda have to be to be studying music in a university, that said I started cello in 1st year and I've been OK so far , I'm sure if you studied classical guitar you'd be fine. For some reason they've a thing against steel stringers, not sure why....

Take it from the guy with a Stravinsky quote as his sig ;)

Hmm, you see, given the chance I'd learn most instruments under the sun, maybe thats just my child-like over enthusiasm, But genuinely, having to pick up two instruments in college wouldn't trouble me, infact it'd urge me to go for it more.. hmm..

Edit: I do have an OK music litteracy, like, I know Keys i.e four sharps in A major, FCGD sharp, y'know? I know the intervals of the majors and minors, I know some things on cadences i.e whats perfect whats imperfect, plagal and interupted. I know like dynamic markings and tempo markings. i.e Grave, Largo, Lento, Leghretto, aldegio, adante, Andantino etc. I know ah.. how to harmonise chords, continue a melody change key etc. En harmonics, relative minors, how to compose a piece in a relative minor key.

still I really doubt thats enough. Im studying like mad for this entrance test. Hopefully if I get to an interview, I could get my point across :)

It is also host to NUIM, famous for it's in depth ARTS degrees, but infamous for it's poorly rated Music Department.

So there.

Hmm, you see, given the chance I'd learn most instruments under the sun, maybe thats just my child-like over enthusiasm, But genuinely, having to pick up two instruments in college wouldn't trouble me, infact it'd urge me to go for it more.. hmm..

Excellent to hear. Limiting yourself to one instrument is a bit well....limiting. :)
    Edit: I do have an OK music litteracy, like, I know Keys i.e four sharps in A major, FCGD sharp, y'know? I know the intervals of the majors and minors, I know some things on cadences i.e whats perfect whats imperfect, plagal and interupted. I know like dynamic markings and tempo markings. i.e Grave, Largo, Lento, Leghretto, aldegio, adante, Andantino etc. I know ah.. how to harmonise chords, continue a melody change key etc. En harmonics, relative minors, how to compose a piece in a relative minor key.

Intervals: You're grand. I just knew major at mine and somehow managed to pull off a minor 3rd, not really knowing it. If you can sing them (you're not given a pitch, you use one yourself making it infinitely easier).

Cadences: You've got the four big ones. Good stuff

Dynamics and Tempo: Couldn't tell you waht the majority ov them are myself. I keep a dictionary for them :P

Harmonise blah bah you are GRAND. More than qualified to do it. Go for it! There's a great guitar vibe in the college aswell with the guitar orchestra.

Oh... just one thing..... brush up on the key sigs......there are 3 sharps in A major...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

banquo wrote: »
    So there.

Did you edit that yourself?

Sort of i.e. I saw it in there and edited it out.

No one disses my college but me.

A majors a lovely key! Or E mixolydian rather, especially when you can alternate with F# Aeolian!! The D major subdominant is particularly bright in that key!! Or just anywhere for that matter! ^^

+1. A Major ftw. My two favourite Mozart piano concertos are the 'big and little' A Majors.

Also, Beethoven's Cello Sonata in A. Sweet.

3 sharps is all I need.

• Advertisement

Stop scaring away the fresh meat with your talk of modes!

Edit: Directed at Nodeath,

but +1 on the Mozart piano concertos. Got my ticket for the 1st may! Beethoven's 9th and Mozarts' Piano concerto in A KV125123946193769435. The famous one.

Further edit: 3,000th post w00tage. :)

Advertisement