Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bmus Entrance test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

banquo wrote: »

/Student enters interview room
    Madame Schubert (looking around): You said Schubert would be here!
    Czechmeister: I'm sorry Madame, but if it's not in the handbook...
    Analyson: Gneh-heh-heh!
    /Trad Dude enters, can of Guinness in hand
    Czechmesiter: Sorry Trad Dude, interviews are on in here
    Trad Dude: Sooooooo....
    Madame Schubert (excited): Are you Schubert!?
    /Trad Dude leaves
    Student: I like Stravinsky
    Strav-head: Excellent! I happen to be an extension of Wikipedia on Stravinsky, and every other composer since the beginning of time.
    /Trad-Dude re-enters room
    Trad Dude: Eh, this is my office...
    Student: Am I in?
    Prof: Yes.
    /turns to staff
    Prof: Everyone is fired.
    Madame Schubert: Schubert?

/back to thesis

:p hahaha, the usual sorta college life then? It would be frickin hilarious if the interveiw was like that. I'd just sit and be like 'wtf?!' whilst trying not to laugh to hard.

Anyway you guys know which is first audition or interview? I was joking with my sis saying I'd play a 15 minute piece so then there wouldn't be time for questions, when I realised the piece I'm going to play actually is that long :D haha oh well . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

God, I hope my interview is like that....:D

My piece clocks in at a very short 3.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Trad Dude: Sooooooo....

You sir, caused major lol with this.

Hmm?

Wait a minute! Piece? What the hell? You have to play as well?!!? Jesus times have changed.

Tis and audition and interview :pac:
    haha had a look at the Maynooth music dept. website matched up descriptions! :D lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yep. They got so o' dem ''standards'' now!

Excellent news. I applaud this. Seriously, I love to see the course get better. Might send the prof a box of choccies anonymously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Wonder how EL_Pron got on... hmm!

Thanks for the though :)

I've got an interview on the sixth, but I'm kinda bricking it now. Sorry to hear, Caoimhe :(

Stravinsky's my favourite composer, I'd really like to get the Stravinsky fan in my interview. I feel like a bit of an outsider going for this (not classically trained), that'd calm me down. I won't try mentioning Schubert or Chopin or anything, I'd get caught out in a second :p

So 3.30 is SHORT??? :eek: My piece is even shorter... ****...

Reckon they'd let you play an extra piece on another instrument? Since I can't really back up my playing with anything official, I learned a piano piece as well as my guitar piece, thinking they'd take a favourable view of the multi-instrument thing, but then the letter said one piece on your 'proposed principal instrument'. I dunno if my guitar playing is really grade 6 standard.

Well done El_Pron! I just had my D.I.T audition, interview and test today. Was really happy with it, even though there test was completely different to their sample one, it was a bit ridiculus.
    But anyway, they stopped me before I even got half way down the page of both my pieces, I had a cadenza prepared for my Mozart peice and I didn't get to play it :mad:
    Was going to play the Mozart piece for the Maynooth as well, but then it specified unaccompanied, so I'm totally stuck for something to do! So annoying! The only pieces I play unaccompanied are traditional or studies, so I'm totally stuck :(
    I might just email them and ask can I play the Mozart (without the piano obviously)
    The Mozart lasts 4:50 without piano, with piano it lasts over 9 minutes.

Well done on your DIT stuff! What instrument do you play?

Thanks!
    My principle instrument is flute (and naturally the piccolo too), but I also play piano, cello and bass guitar.
    If today is anything to go by, be ready for some weird questions. Everyone said they got asked weird stuff, like about my school, and about where you see yourself in 10 years, and what do you think you could take after your time in Time. They asked me the name of the conductor of one of the orchestra's I'm in, and I swear I just blanked, easy factual question, and I totally forgot! Duh! Blonde moment :rolleyes:

How many people are likely to be interviewing us? Please say no more than two....

• Advertisement

It was two when we all did it, seems the logical choice with the ratio of staff vs interviewees. I'd say it'd be two again.

I got my interview changed to Thursday 'cause it clashed with the LCVP exam. Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

I'm in for Thursday as well. Just hope they don't cut in mid-piece like DIT did.....

Good luck everyone!

Yeah, best of luck! Should all come for a drinky afterwards.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

One question about the interval-singing - I can sing all the major/perfect intervals, as well as a minor third and minor seventh. I don't need to know any other ones, do I?

Cheers!

Was in the Dept. today. I'll be there around midday tomorrow, and of ye have interviews scheduled around then?

Dr Gradus wrote: »
    I'm in for Thursday as well. Just hope they don't cut in mid-piece like DIT did.....

I would love to see you board a bus that's destination sign said ''Parnassum''

Oh tis tomorrow :D
    Had to change my piece, now am just playing a Gariboldi Study *grumbles about stupidness of unaccompanied piece*
    Actually I hear you Dr. Hate being interrupted in the middle of a piece :mad:
    haha

Was in the Dept. today. I'll be there around midday tomorrow, and of ye have interviews scheduled around then?

I'm on at twenty past ten...

Why'd you have to change your piece, tootyflutty?

• Advertisement

Mines at 12:15, what a pity, I'll just have to take the whole day off ;)

Had to change it because my original piece was for flute with accompaniment, the whole unaccompanied thing is just a bit of a hitch!
    What are you guys playing?

I'm playing Bach's Bouree from the Lute Suite in E Minor

What about you, tootyflutty?

Oh I know that piece, you should listen to the Jethro Tull version, on flute, with band and orchestra. It's one of the best know versions, well worth a listen :P
    Me? I'm just doing one of my grade 6/7 studies by Giuseppe Gariboldi.

El Pron,

to embed a youtube video, use the tags with only the following part of the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_WNvNQUYAU

take the value after the equals, so:

And voila!

Might be around the dept that time tomorrow. If I am I'll drop over and say hello :) If I can't, the very best of luck - though from the looks of things you'll stand out from the hundreds of wasters that apply every year to music depts around the country.

Good luck to everyone else, too. You'll be nervous going in, but I can tell you now that there isn't one lecturer who won't make you feel completely at ease (well, one, but he's not doing interviews this year from what I gather)

Also, all the women are really really lovely. You'll be great :D

Er, my video works fine for me...

I MADE A MISTAKE SINGING A ****ING PERFECT FIFTH!! TWINKLE ****ING TWINKLE!! I sang a perfect fourth by accident... But I corrected it, and acknowledged that my first attempt was a fourth, so maybe that'll partly make up for something. Everything else was fine.

I had Martin O Leary and Alison Hood. She was really kind and nice, and he was pretty quiet, but he smiled/laughed a few times. He grinned when I said Stravinsky was my favourite composer, is he the 'Strav-Head' that was mentioned earlier? :p

Damn right he was, well done!

Yeah, he's quiet until you get to know him. Alison and Martin...Jesus the dream interviewers.

Good job on the intervals.

All went ok for me too, had to sing a 6th and was fine. Got the keys sigs grand too.
    I had Gordon Delap and Prof. Fiona Palmer. He was a tad weird, and she hardly spoke. But both were lovely to me, and seemed interested in what I said, especially about the Maynooth Work Experience ;)

Delap and the prof. Jesus...

Gordon would be grand.... lots of smiles and super colliders. :D

• Advertisement

Can I ask what Madam Schubert's real name is?

Advertisement