Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Trainers

Options
  • 13-03-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of any trainers that would be prepared to train a group of 3-4 beginners privately either in the evening or at the weekends? We would rather do this than to go to classes. The location would have to be in Dublin

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

What part of dublin Dave?
    im sure someone would but it would need to suit them!
    give some info, experience, age, what premises you have etc..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 crazydave

Well we are all 26. None of us have any experience with MMA. We are attend the gym regularly and are very fit. We want to do private lessons because we reckon we could progress and learn more this way as oposed to going to a big class.South Dublin would be our preferred location. We dont have any premises so we would need someone with access to premises

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Personally i'd recommend you join 1 of the gyms over your way and get some extra privates to improve your learning, like you need plenty of training to learn and privates aint cheap so if you done a class 2-3 times a week and got 1 private you's would be doing well, there is lots of clubs southside so i think you need to be more specific to location as you'd prob do the privates in the club aswell!

John Kavanagh defo does privates and im sure other coaches would if it was offered to them so all you need to do is either travel to john or find out who teaches closer to your home!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Crazydave, although it may not seem likely to you and your mates at the moment- you will all find after a few sessions that you will actually learn more and progress faster if you join a club.( this is due to sparring/rolling with a variety of different styles and standards, shapes and sizes)

I'm sure some of the coaches on here may explain it better but the point I'm trying to make is that if you only train and practice with the same few beginners it will be hard to determine if you are really making good progress, and imo you will probably progress slower than if you mixed with a greater variety of styles and standards

Best of luck either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I'll have to agree with Kent. You definetly learn more by sparring with a variety of partners at different levels. If you roll with the same guys all the time you can develop bad habits that you get away with with those guys but would not with others. Personally I find I learn more from being beaten by guys then rolling with guys I can beat.

But really variety is the key, you can try your new stuff out on the new guys, and slowly as you develope your technique you can try it out on the higher level guys. Thats how you u know ur getting better. Good luck with finding a club anyway, there is a massive selection in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 robgordon

crazydave wrote: »
    Well we are all 26. None of us have any experience with MMA. We are attend the gym regularly and are very fit. We want to do private lessons because we reckon we could progress and learn more this way as oposed to going to a big class.South Dublin would be our preferred location. We dont have any premises so we would need someone with access to premises

Have you done any bag work or anything? Some gyms have punchbags, and It might be an idea to even get that type of cardio up to a decent level first and then join a class - even if just for confidence. Obviously it depends on what kind of training you'd like to get into, too.

That said, I agree with some of the other guys; just have a look about then commit to a class near you. Everyone has to start somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Vivian Reckless

Ropers new gym sounds like it'll be good if it happens. There's a thread on it in the fitness section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Ropers new gym sounds like it'll be good if it happens. There's a thread on it in the fitness section.

Whaddya mean IF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Unless there has been an earthquake Roper's gym on the Northside is too far for this bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Roper does have an existing gym also though - let's not forget!! I travel there from Ranelagh and takes about 25mins in evening. Depends what part of Southside you're on. There's clubs in Tallaght, Long Mile rd, Loughlinstown, so probably best to be more exact with location...

I'd also recommend a club (as your main source of training) rather than purely privates - similar to what Kent Brockman said above...
    If you've never been to a club before, then at least try one out - at beginner classes you get very detailed coaching and it can feel like 1-1 even though there may be 10 other guys there. For sparring / rolling, would also agree much better to go against variety of people rather than your few friends in privates...just some thoughts...

• Advertisement
Advertisement