Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise in UL

• 13-03-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a 4th year student and doing a project on the state of entrepreneurial studies in UL. Believe it or not there is a room dedicated for enterprise students located in the Kemmy Business School and that room is a focal point of our project.

So, basically i'm asking what are your thoughts on the services available, teaching of the course or any thoughts you may have on the subject.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

*Bump*

I've been busy and had feck all time to reply to this thread.

I'm also involved in this project boys and girls. I'll probably be posting a link to a questionnaire in the upcoming days which may facilitate greater discussion on what we are looking for information on.

As IDPlease stated, the Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies isnt well known in UL, and considering the current economic climate, and the fact the Ireland is renowned for having entrepreneurs its a shame that UL isnt at the forefront of producing more and more of them!

Use this to discuss whether your course even has the option to study entrepreneurship, or use the facilites available.

If you could study it, would you, and why or why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The Kemmy Business School will hold an Open Evening for

Postgraduate & Professional Development Programmes on Tuesday, 24th March 2009,

from 5.30pm-8.00pm in S2-11 (Schuman Building)

All are welcome!

For further information contact: 061-213571/061-234389

YFlyer wrote: »
    The Kemmy Business School will hold an Open Evening for

Postgraduate & Professional Development Programmes on Tuesday, 24th March 2009,

from 5.30pm-8.00pm in S2-11 (Schuman Building)

All are welcome!

For further information contact: 061-213571/061-234389

Relevance to this thread?

Mossin wrote: »
    Relevance to this thread?

The OP could go there and ask some relevant questions and get some information

Both the OP and I are requesting information from the students today...we have too many other projects on that week, including the other thread on Earth Hour, and not forgetting lending support to friends who are campaigning for elections

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

Come on people...please give us a hand! Ye must have some opinions...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭So Many Shoes

Hey duno if I can give ye much of a hand but I'll give some info!

I'm 4th yr BBS doing accounting and finance, but when I did do Entrepreneurship in 2nd/3rd I found it really interesting and I thought the lecturer was good! I think there should be more modules about entrepreneurship, maybe in first year and get students into thinking about business and maybe getting them to do business plans or something (I know they have changed the course since I started so I duno if they are doing this).

To be honest I have never heard of the entreprise room and I have even looked into the Entrepreneurship masters. One thing I would say about that masters is that they are not really reaching out to students, like the way the Finance masters had an open evening a few weeks ago. Maybe if they had an open evening students would know more about that room?

I duno if what I've said is any use but feel free to ask me any questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

Thanks So Many Shoes for responding.

What you said is very helpful. I have a couple of questions though, firstly, did you pick a minor subject because it would be helpful to your major option or did you pick it because you had more interest in it than enterprise?

What would you say to enterprise being a non-choice module, like for say strategic management is this semester?

The enterprise room is the first room on your right opposite the first pc lab in the KBS.

The lack of knowledge of the masters programme is something we know exists and are trying to figure out how to address it. Have you spoken to Naomi Birdthistle or Yvonne Costin regarding the Masters?

I picked Financial Services as my minor option, and ya I picked that because it was more inline with my major (Acc. and Finance) and because "there are so many jobs in that area".....not so much now!!

I do like my minor option but if I did change I prob would have changed to the enterprise minor. If enterprise was a non-choice module, then I would have stuck with Financial Services though....

Ya I definately think they should have enterprise as a non-choice module or even have a choice between Ireland in the World Economy and Entrepreneurship, but I suppose they want us as a class doing atleast one subject together.

I must keep an eye out for it, thanks!

No I haven't spoken to either about it, I probably should as I can't go to the open evening next Tuesday! I'm trying to choose between that masters and the Financial Services one, not an easy decision to make!

I'm 4th yr BBS doing accounting and finance, but when I did do Entrepreneurship in 2nd/3rd I found it really interesting and I thought the lecturer was good!

That module was the core module with Naomi Birdthistle. I also studied that module along with the minor options.
    I think there should be more modules about entrepreneurship, maybe in first year and get students into thinking about business and maybe getting them to do business plans or something (I know they have changed the course since I started so I duno if they are doing this).

Afaik, they havent changed too much in the new BBS course, although there are students here who do know more than I do as they are studying it now.
    They have changed the names of courses more so than anything.
    To be honest I have never heard of the entreprise room and I have even looked into the Entrepreneurship masters. One thing I would say about that masters is that they are not really reaching out to students, like the way the Finance masters had an open evening a few weeks ago. Maybe if they had an open evening students would know more about that room?

I'm studying my 4th enterprise module, and I didnt know about the room until this semester. Last semester we had a tutorial there each week and never knew what it was!!
    I do like my minor option but if I did change I prob would have changed to the enterprise minor. If enterprise was a non-choice module, then I would have stuck with Financial Services though....

Thats good to know thanks :)
    Ya I definately think they should have enterprise as a non-choice module or even have a choice between Ireland in the World Economy and Entrepreneurship, but I suppose they want us as a class doing atleast one subject together.

Although I despised IWE and also Strategic Management this semester, I think that Enterprise should be module also, not in place of either of these 2 modules. Get rid of the other dead weight modules such as Communications and that FYP methodology module.
    No I haven't spoken to either about it, I probably should as I can't go to the open evening next Tuesday! I'm trying to choose between that masters and the Financial Services one, not an easy decision to make!

I'd highly recommend going to speak to both Yvonne and Naomi. They are very nice, and even if its just for some basic info, they accommodate students all the time.

I can be of assistance also, as I've been accepted to the Masters already.

• Advertisement

Ya maybe get rid of the two of these, Communications and that FYP methodology module, or have one or two lectures of the FYP module but definately NOT have an exam in it, it's so pointless!

Thanks for the advice, ya I must talk to one of them, I can't make it to the open evening tomorrow unfortunately!

You are going doing the masters? For the year or part time? I'm going handing in my application form this week....

Thanks for the advice, ya I must talk to one of them, I can't make it to the open evening tomorrow unfortunately!

You are going doing the masters? For the year or part time? I'm going handing in my application form this week....

I'm doing it full-time. Maybe I'll see you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'm doing it full-time. Maybe I'll see you there.

Congrats man, all the best with it :)

So, how many of your class are going for the MBS in IEM/MSc in Marketing/MSc in Intl Management.... ?

Or, like yourself, have been accepted already?!

Thanks man :)

I know of at least 7 people from the marketing class who have been accepted to the Marketing Masters, and there are a good few more after applying for it too.

For IEM, I only know that myself and a girl were accepted thus far, and I have no idea of the level of interest. I've no clue regarding the MSc in Intl Management

Hey everyone,

Could ye please fill out a questionnaire for me on Enterprise/Entrepreneurship in UL.

Just click the following link http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=6uZRHLsSbJhTL8B_2bnkR9DQ_3d_3d and answer a few questions.

All responses would be hugely appreciated!

If you click the link, and realise that you have already answered the questionnaire [because it was sent around to some module codes already], then you dont have to answer the questionnaire again.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey everyone,

Could ye please fill out a questionnaire for me on Enterprise/Entrepreneurship in UL.

Just click the following link http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=6uZRHLsSbJhTL8B_2bnkR9DQ_3d_3d and answer a few questions.

All responses would be hugely appreciated!

If you click the link, and realise that you have already answered the questionnaire [because it was sent around to some module codes already], then you dont have to answer the questionnaire again.

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry man. I'm a postgrad..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I'm in the enterprise research centre in the engineering research building myself. There's been a few successful business startups springing from projects there.

*Bump*

So here I am once again needing the help of UL students for Entrepreneurship projects.

I am in the process of designing a business plan, and I am conducting primary research. As I dont want to spam this forum with new threads, I resurrected this one...Albeit reluctantly!

I would really appreciate it is students could take 5 minutes to complete this online survey for me: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=mwXti6DMyv0mw6xAIXJ_2fDA_3d_3d

It will only take a few minutes, and will be invaluable research for me for this semester!

Thanks in advance !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Done but in one of the questions "available" was spelt "availible". Can't remember which one though.

Thats true, in Q13...but too late to alter it now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Done! Cage soccer sounds like fun. :)

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Done.

Would people be so kind as to help out some classmates of mine too, by filling out a few short surveys on new business ideas:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=YfapXcXuG_2bWitxUfnPfoWA_3d_3d

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h6dfPq5nRvl1FElBrEHlAA_3d_3d

All help is much appreciated by me as class rep, and my class also!

Would people be so kind as to help out some classmates of mine too, by filling out a few short surveys on new business ideas:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=YfapXcXuG_2bWitxUfnPfoWA_3d_3d

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h6dfPq5nRvl1FElBrEHlAA_3d_3d

All help is much appreciated by me as class rep, and my class also!

Done and done! It's almost like I rely on people to fill in surveys for my job or something ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Filled those two out aswell Mossin, the second idea was pretty cool [can't remember what the first was :o].

Hey everyone,

Just to inform people here on boards that the MBS in International Entrepreneurship Management class are exhibiting their business plan ideas/concepts for 2 hours tomorrow in the Schuman building.

Firstly each group will be doing a dragons den style presentation in front of an idustry panel, and afterwards, they will exhibit their ideas in a public forum.

This event is taking place Thursday 3rd December 2009 [tomorrow] in the Schuman Building, Second Floor [in the BENC].
    It is open to all to come from 12pm - 2pm.

I hope that you will all come and support us. :)

You know I will man!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

The 4th year BBS students minoring in Entre did the exact same module/project, so t'will be interesting to compare. Apparently, the lecturer said the standard was quite high for the presentations, plans, etc.

Best of luck!
    Hey everyone,

Just to inform people here on boards that the MBS in International Entrepreneurship Management class are exhibiting their business plan ideas/concepts for 2 hours tomorrow in the Schuman building.

Firstly each group will be doing a dragons den style presentation in front of an idustry panel, and afterwards, they will exhibit their ideas in a public forum.

This event is taking place Thursday 3rd December 2009 [tomorrow] in the Schuman Building, Second Floor [in the BENC].
    It is open to all to come from 12pm - 2pm.

I hope that you will all come and support us. :)

• Advertisement

Seriously why are you inviting people?!? :P

And now we have to live up to the 4th years too??!

Advertisement