Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne on my own june 09

Options
  • 13-03-2009 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Evening all

im traveling to Melbourne in June (arriving June 3rd from Dublin) and im wondering if there going to be anybody about, im traveling alone and im kinda nervous about approaching people.

What do i do??

thanks for your help.

Richie
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1) Read the forum, you see threads like these everyweek (see http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055480259)

2) Buy a few jumpers ... Melbourne will be damn cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 katiekins

Hey Richie,

I say go for it! The thread hussey refered you to was started by me, and as you can see from it, people in Melbourne are lovely!

I arrived here yesterday after a week in Sydney and have already been chatting to so many people. For the most part getting talking is pretty easy - be careful with the hostels you book and make sure that they seem to have good common areas. TV rooms and rec rooms are good places to meet people. I'm guessing from the name that you're a guy, which does make it easier - you can go sit in a pub and start talking without any nasty connatations.

Do be prepared to spend time in your own company - sometimes you'll hear something or see something and want to share the joke but save it up for when you're talking to home.

Be sure to get Skype and credit your account - you'll be able to talk to people early and late in the day. Also consider starting a diary of some sort, it gives you something to waste time with occasionally.

Thats all I can think of for the moment. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck!

Katiekins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Excuse90200

hey guys

thanks for your replys,

hope you keep us updated Katiekins ... by the way im staying at Base hostel in St Kilda. hope this has good Tv rooms etc..

cheers

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

hey guys

thanks for your replys,

hope you keep us updated Katiekins ... by the way im staying at Base hostel in St Kilda. hope this has good Tv rooms etc..

cheers

Richie

base is meant to be great, looks fantastic. only been in their bar which is good, offers cheap drinks most of the time and a bit of craic with a live band and a dj, although the bar staff can sometime run the dj set and keep changing songs too often but not usually like that. Good place. if i was still here when you got here i would say i would get a few people together and go for a pint but will be heading to the east coast at start of May.

The people in melbourne are really cool and they like the Irish it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

You will love Melbourne! St. Kilda's is Brill! Luna Park - Theme park is quite good! Base backpackers in St.Kilda's is Brilliant! The rooms are so cool for a hostel. They even had round pool tables the last time I was there! I go back to Australia most years June to Sept it is a nice time to visit as it is not too hot! Have a great trip!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AussieAlly

G'day,

Im Aussie and just recently got back from traveling and lived in Ireland for 7 mnths. Melb is great however if you are looking for work look elsewhere at the moment.

I live in Byron Bay and that is quite a long way from Melb but still has work going for Travelers!! As far as being alone, anywhere you go you will never be alone as long as you love to drink!! Staying in Hostels is another great way to meet awesome people also.

By the way you will be very very hard pressed to find Luna Park (theme park) in Melb and if you do it would be an extremely impressive night out.

Good luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

By the way you will be very very hard pressed to find Luna Park (theme park) in Melb and if you do it would be an extremely impressive night out.

:confused:

I'm not too sure, seeing as the OP is going to be staying in St Kilda, I reckon it'll be pretty easy for him to find Luna Park...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Excuse90200

just want to say thanks to all the replys, only 10 and half weeks left, so excited....

Traq wrote: »
    :confused:

I'm not too sure, seeing as the OP is going to be staying in St Kilda, I reckon it'll be pretty easy for him to find Luna Park...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

AussieAlly wrote: »

Good luck with it!!

Can't half tell you're from NSW!!! :P Luna Park is not just in Sydney... and ours is the original. :D

Advertisement