Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2009

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dub. wrote: »
    Same here, Sinn Fein number 1, independents 2.

Time for real change

Sinn Fein isnt a change. There nowhere near ready for government.

Independents, never on their own anyway but its always good to have them on local and national government.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    Sinn Fein isnt a change. There nowhere near ready for government.

Independents, never on their own anyway but its always good to have them on local and national government.

Never a truer word spoken, Sinn Fein is like voting for the workers party it may make you feel good on the inside but its going to make no different to the country around you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mick_irl wrote: »
    How as a memeber of the Borough council, would you ensure an improved service?

Bottom line is he can't,
    I'm not picking on him its just no party or person on a county level can and if they say they will then they are talking out their arse.

Broadband rollout in Ireland requires changes at a government level that will allow better competition in the market, for example the wholesale LLU rental in Ireland is set far too high in Ireland which hinders companys investing in it.

Sure LLU is available in Waterford and Kilkenny on "some" exchanges but its very very limited, in addition the poor PSTN quality throughout Ireland is a massive issue.

As it is Comreg have looked for eircom to drop it in the past and even this week they've asked again but I'd expect comreg to be brought to court by eircom before eircom will do this....its worth remembering that lasttime Comreg was brought to court by Eircom Comreg dropped the case as they said court costs were too high

Bottom line is somebody in a co council can't change this, it may sound nice for them to say they can't but its very misleading to say they can

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

mick_irl wrote: »
    It would cost too much money to set up a new IT when money from the eduction budget is sorely needed at primary and secondary level.
    Yeah, but pumping much-needed money into existing facilities doesn't get you your name on a shiny brass plaque on the new, not-quite-so-badly-needed facility. Or the press event when that plaque is unveiled...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Cabaal wrote: »
    Bottom line is he can't,
    I'm not picking on him its just no party or person on a county level can and if they say they will then they are talking out their arse.

I know...that's why I asked him to see what his answer would be. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Can I ask a Simple Question of my fellow boarders?

WHO THE HELL IS VOTING FIANNA FAIL?

ARE YE ALL MAD?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Can I ask a Simple Question of my fellow boarders?

WHO THE HELL IS VOTING FIANNA FAIL?

ARE YE ALL MAD?

Although i am not, i do think thats the problem with serious political discussions on boards,

We seem to berate people for there beliefs.

Why not berate the swines who dont vote and effectivly support those who get in, usually fianna fail?

Seems another daft irish logic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Cabaal wrote: »
    Never a truer word spoken, Sinn Fein is like voting for the workers party it may make you feel good on the inside but its going to make no different to the country around you

Is a vote for the workers party all that bad when you consider the alternative. i.e.

A vote for Fianna Fail is a vote for bankers, developers etc.
    A vote for Labour is a vote for corrupt public services unions who are bleeding an already drained country.
    A vote for Greens is a vote for crackpot environmental radicals with no practical policies other than chaining themselves to gates outside the N3 or shell to sea.

Sinn fein is the only party with the country's best interest at heart.

All this is irrelevant in terms of the local election though. The reality is Kathleen Funchion is a great candidate and sinn fein has no representation on the council currently. anyone who truly believes in Ireland and not just money has to admit that sinnfein is the only real option for those of us who consider ourselves nationalists.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jiggajt wrote: »
    Is a vote for the workers party all that bad when you consider the alternative. i.e.

A vote for Fianna Fail is a vote for bankers, developers etc.
    A vote for Labour is a vote for corrupt public services unions who are bleeding an already drained country.
    A vote for Greens is a vote for crackpot environmental radicals with no practical policies other than chaining themselves to gates outside the N3 or shell to sea.

What about Fine Gael? Independents? etc.

Also, I dont think those at the Shell to Sea protest are Green supporters.
    Sinn fein is the only party with the country's best interest at heart.

With a no to Lison Treaty? SF are not ready to be in national government, the place would fall to pieces if they did. I admit there are some good local candidates that could help in local government but they would never get a majority to do any damage anyway.
    All this is irrelevant in terms of the local election though. The reality is Kathleen Funchion is a great candidate and sinn fein has no representation on the council currently. anyone who truly believes in Ireland and not just money has to admit that sinnfein is the only real option for those of us who consider ourselves nationalists.

I believe in Ireland. We need money, so I believe in it, but I believe in control. (Hey now, didnt SF in the North abuse their expenses like everyone else?) I do not think that SF are the "wonder party" that will bring change. At least not now anyway. A SF lead government getting us out of a recession? Fixing the public service? A poor health and education service? Me eye they would. A party which during the last election changed its policy mid-election because the public didnt like what they had to say?

Sorry, no thanks.

A vote for Greens is a vote for crackpot environmental radicals with no practical policies other than chaining themselves to gates outside the N3 or shell to sea..

Wow you clearly have a twisted view of the greens, your mixing up the shell to sea crowd etc and the green party. They are not the same thing

I believe Sully sums up everything else I wanted to say :)

• Advertisement

I do not think that SF are the "wonder party" that will bring change. At least not now anyway.

Your right. Despite technically being the oldest political party in the state Sinn Fein is also technically the youngest from a political participation point of view. As such they are not ready to lead and they may not be ready to even be in government but thats not going to change unless young intelligent articulate people are willing to consign sinn feins past to the past and turn it into a progressive modern party while maintaining its core beliefs in Ireland the country not ireland the "economic power."

Your right. Despite technically being the oldest political party in the state Sinn Fein is also technically the youngest from a political participation point of view. As such they are not ready to lead and they may not be ready to even be in government but thats not going to change unless young intelligent articulate people are willing to consign sinn feins past to the past and turn it into a progressive modern party while maintaining its core beliefs in Ireland the country not ireland the "economic power."

Can you blame people for fearing their past before voting them in? These things take time and right now not many will consider them bar their core support group because they have nothing to offer bar assisting in local governments. Until they actually grow and introduce stable proper policys, there not going to be taken seriously. This will take a while.

they have nothing to offer bar assisting in local governments. Until they actually grow and introduce stable proper policys, there not going to be taken seriously. This will take a while.

True but lets face it. The so-called established political parties havent been doing too well lately. Fianna Fail have more experience in government than anyone and look how irresponsibly they handled the boom.

Again not really relevent to the local elections but we always seem to get dragged into a party debate.

True but lets face it. The so-called established political parties havent been doing too well lately. Fianna Fail have more experience in government than anyone and look how irresponsibly they handled the boom.

Again not really relevent to the local elections but we always seem to get dragged into a party debate.

Well, lets not forget that no other party has been given a chance. Now Fine Gael and Labour are starting to shine and offer an alternative, unlike others. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Whats the voting alliance on the current Borough Council?

Is it FF + FG?

Advertisement