Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2009

Options
  • 13-03-2009 7:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Given the antics that our current crop in City Hall have been engaged in in the past five years, how will you vote in the June local elections?

Also post any exchanges you have experienced with candidates seeking your vote, be they serious or otherwise.

How will you vote in the Local Elections June 2009? 103 votes

Fianna Fail
    0% 0 votes
    Fine Gael
    7% 8 votes
    Labour
    23% 24 votes
    Green
    33% 34 votes
    Sinn Fein
    3% 4 votes
    Independent
    8% 9 votes
    Won't vote
    9% 10 votes
    Undecided
    13% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Was always a FF voter as there was never a viable alternative. I have no intention of voting for the cretins now as they have absolutely f*cked the country.

FF are going to get their ass handed to them on a plate in the upcoming elections. Their seat numbers will be decimated come June.

The chances of this 'government' (I use that in the loosest sense of the word) lasting another 12 months are slim and none.

The scary thing is that there will probably be a big swing towards Labour in the upcoming local elections (and impending general election) with the majority of support coming from the ungrateful, inefficient, don't know how good they have it public service, because they feel that as Lab are so leftie and tied to the unions etc their ridiculous rates of pay and jobs will be safe. The sad reality is that when this country requires IMF emergency funding (and it will) the IMF will come in slashing and burning and will cut all of those that voted for Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The scary thing is that there will probably be a big swing towards Labour in the upcoming local elections (and impending general election) with the majority of support coming from the ungrateful, inefficient, don't know how good they have it public service, because they feel that as Lab are so leftie and tied to the unions etc their ridiculous rates of pay and jobs will be safe. The sad reality is that when this country requires IMF emergency funding (and it will) the IMF will come in slashing and burning and will cut all of those that voted for Labour.

Exactly! When the IMF come in with their pillaging and raping, we will cry out "WHY OH WHY DID WE VOTE LABOUR?"

I hear Derek Nolan is the one to watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

can't see Mike Crowe getting back in on a ff ticket. He should have stayed indopendent, The area he is running in is a working class area, the working class people are not great ff folowers. he was a good local politician, one very short political career.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

I've always been a Labour supporter so I'll be sticking with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Im registered to vote at home in mayo. how do i get registered up here, dont want to have to go all the way home just to tick the box!
    (but if i have to i will...dont worry i will be voting!)

• Advertisement

Labour, the Sinners and the SWP were all active in shop street yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Im registered to vote at home in mayo. how do i get registered up here, dont want to have to go all the way home just to tick the box!
    (but if i have to i will...dont worry i will be voting!)

City Hall. College Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I wont Vote,
    Following my voting No to Nice & No to Lisbon
    Now both being overturned I have lost all faith in democracy...
    Oh I am also moving to Cuba!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

paconnors wrote: »
    can't see Mike Crowe getting back in on a ff ticket. He should have stayed indopendent, The area he is running in is a working class area, the working class people are not great ff folowers. he was a good local politician, one very short political career.

Mike Crowe is in FF to stay, they put him on the GE ticket after only a couple of years as a councillor and he almost wiped out Frank Fahey. And, unfortunately, working class people DO vote FF. Why do you think it's wealthy middle class constituencies where you find Labour and Green reps? It's why labour has never really been the voice of the working classes in Ireland - FF used to be seen as the 'small mans' party. Perhaps it will change but there are a lot of people who would bite off their own hand before voting anyone but FF. I think all the talk they will be decimated is bluster. Still think they will get well over 20% of the vote nationally.

Galway already has just 3 FF councillors anyway - Mary Leahy could be in danger but I think Crowe and Connolly are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

There's one option missing in the poll, and that's voting for the person, not the party.

Having dealt with him numerous times over the past few years, I would give a vote to Declan McDonnell, who does actually do quite a bit around the place. Unfortunately he's on the Mervue ticket, and I'm the other end of town!

The Connolly sister in our area will certainly NOT be getting a vote in our house, due to one of them blowing smoke up my rear end last time out when I asked about her take on same sex marriages.

Padraic Connolly, while I'm not a fan, does tend to bring a lot of things to the attention of the public, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Mike Crowe is someone I haven't much of an opinion on, as are Terry O'Flaherty and Daniel Callanan.

Neil McNeilis is a grand lad 1 to 1, but I don't know about how much I'd want to see him in public office.

Niall O'Brolchainn (sp?) wasn't the worlds worst disaster as mayor, but I can't see what he's achieved.

In fact, that seems to about sum the whole lot of our current lot up; can anyone point out a list of each of their individual achievements during their time in city hall?

Does anyone have a proper list of who's running in what areas that can be put up here; I don't even know who's in my area anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The candidates generally have either the backing of a party or are independent. So, if you vote for Mike 'Im sick of trees' Crowe, then you'll be casting a vote for FF

As regards the closing date for candidates to run for election, it's 4 weeks before polling day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Isn't it a shame that all of our elected officials see it as "governing for the party" rather than "governing for the people".

I'm still inclined to vote person rather than party, as all of the parties have their good people as well as their idiots. Also, I don't see parties doing things locally, but I do see individuals doing things locally.

It's why labour has never really been the voice of the working classes in Ireland - FF used to be seen as the 'small mans' party.

Utterly untrue.

Labour currently has the support of more middle class, but this was not always the case. The skilled working class is divided between FF and Labour as far as voting goes.

Also check out Labour's support through the century; Labour had a lot of support from agricultural labourers until Fianna Fáil was more palatable given their misx of Catholicism and social reform.

You seem to be forgetting that Labour was founded as the political wing of the trade unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Fey! wrote: »
    Having dealt with him numerous times over the past few years, I would give a vote to Declan McDonnell, who does actually do quite a bit around the place. Unfortunately he's on the Mervue ticket, and I'm the other end of town!

He should spend more time getting clean drinkable water to the people of mervue than selling lotto tickets for mervue united :mad:

Why are we thinking of voting for this council again when we are stuck with third world water.

gg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I supporting my legs because my legs support me :pac:

(OK i've been studying for too long)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Fey! wrote: »
    In fact, that seems to about sum the whole lot of our current lot up; can anyone point out a list of each of their individual achievements during their time in city hall?

Clamper-gate and eh that's about it.

Just like the West Wing this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The entire government needs to be let go. I'll be voting ABFF (anybody but FF) but I include FG in that. All these people are completely out of touch with the general population. They go to fancy dinners with business men and befriend them.

I don't trust even the ones with the best intentions because the current political system breeds corruption and greed. I don't think I'll find representation in my life time so all my efforts will be to disrupt the corrupt from power.

Election posters will be going up from May 6th and can be up until June 12th. If you see any smug politician mugs on telegraph poles outside that timeframe, phone the City Hall and complain about littering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 GalwayGirl1983

I'll be voting Derek Nolan for Labour - he has a lot of good ideas, one I think is important - sorting out the terrible bus service in Galway. I know him personally also and he's a nice, genuine guy. Worth taking a look at his website..http://www.dereknolan.com

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

what gob**** voted finna fail .....u cant be serious Fu*kin Fool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Infract for 3fullback. Even if you think FF has caused the collapse of Irish Economy abusive language is still not on.

Is this true or is it just electioneering? I've lived in Galway all my life and have yet to be offered any drugs..
    Galway is in danger of becoming a fertile stomping ground for gangland criminals involved in the drugs trade and could soon even surpass Limerick City for drugs-related criminality and gangland turf wars. City Councillor Brian Walsh says cocaine, heroin and cannabis are being openly sold in city estates throughout the city and the problem is now “growing out of control”. Dealers in estates are even giving young teenagers free drugs initially in order to get them hooked, he says.
    Senior Galway Gardaí have conceded to him that attempts to contain the drugs problem in Galway are being seriously hampered by a lack of resources.
    Cllr Walsh says Galway is not guaranteed to remain exempt from the criminality and gangland shootings that are prevalent in Limerick and he says the problem must be tackled head-on. http://www.galwaynews.ie/7291-drugs-being-sold-openly-estates-claim

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Where's the Mocha Beans option? Their posters have really made me think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

who are the 5 ppl who voted ff?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

skelliser wrote: »
    who are the 5 ppl who voted ff?!!

BURN THEM!

*rabble rabble*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Xiney wrote: »
    BURN THEM!

*rabble rabble*
    fiannafailwarning-300x212.jpg
    Bigger Version:
    http://www.flickrholic.org/images/fiannafailwarning.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheSledge

I think Declan Macdonnell is one of the best workers on the East side of the city. the current crop of councillors have been an absolute disaster. just look at how they handled Erye square. And half of them oppose the By-pass. An almost total clearout of the councillors should take place.

• Advertisement

TheSledge wrote: »
    I think Declan Macdonnell is one of the best workers on the East side of the city. the current crop of councillors have been an absolute disaster. just look at how they handled Erye square. And half of them oppose the By-pass. An almost total clearout of the councillors should take place.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/11848

If he joines FF after the election, I will lose whatever respect I had for the man.

Advertisement