Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2009

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Magnus wrote: »
    Did my civic duty just there.

Oh? do tell us more

I voted earlier, turnout seems brisk enough

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I meant the duty of every citizen to vote, not jury duty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Xiney wrote: »
    I've decided I'm voting

1) Derek Nolan (Labour)
    2) James Hope (Green)

Good solid stances on transportation.
    That seems like a good reason, I think I'll go for them. James Hope was the only one I met that called to my door, seems nice enough. I know little about Derek Nolan, I mite have to trust your research if I don't get time to look at his policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Sniipe wrote: »
    That seems like a good reason, I think I'll go for them. James Hope was the only one I met that called to my door, seems nice enough. I know little about Derek Nolan, I mite have to trust your research if I don't get time to look at his policies.

Even though it's my own research, don't trust anybody's judgement but your own! Democracy is all about making your own choice :)

Those two candidates have their own websites though, which I have to say, as a proud member of the information generation, totally swayed my vote. I know more about them from their websites than about any of the other candidates.

http://www.dereknolan.com/My%20Priorities.html

http://www.hopeforgalway.ie/main/policies/

I didn't get to chat with anyone but James Hope and he seemed like a really good guy. Nobody came to our door, but that doesn't surprise me since Four Star Pizza doesn't even know where we live.

Nuala Nolan says on her profile that she works on the factory floor and wants to capture the women's vote for labour. whoopdeedoo, lemme guess, 'cause you're a woman I should vote for ya? Screw off, I'm a feminist, and that means I'm too smart for that kind of crap.

The longest paragraph on Frank Fahy's profile isn't even about him - it's about his first cousin in Australia who is a successful politician there. Again, whoopdeefreakin'doo a$$hole!

Tom Costello doesn't seem too bad. I might give him my #3.

Michael Crowe - isn't that the tard who was moaning about trees earlier this year? Almost sure it is.

I looked them all up last night on google. There was a shocking lack of information about several of the candidates. How else are people finding out about them? sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

galah wrote: »
    How do I know which electoral ward I'm in? It doesn't say on the polling card, and I need to read up on those councillors before I vote...

Many of the candidates flyers have the areas they are running for on them.

Otherwise, you could tell us what area you live in and we can let you know.

• Advertisement

I had a look at hope's webby and I'm happy with him as #1/#2
    Nolan (from the webby) went to the same school as me so he can't be THAT bad :) Thanks all the same for the advice...

I got so many flyers that all of them go into the bin... I could have made a cool paper mache type thing perhaps... (link)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Magnus wrote: »
    I meant the duty of every citizen to vote, not jury duty :D
    Oh, I thought you meant you knocked out several canvassers so they wouldn't harass the rest of us.

Just voted there, it was pretty straight forward vote for anyone that doesn't have FF/FG next to their names.

wow. only slightly cooler than the dragon pinata I made when I was 12 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I was enjoying a stroll in Salthill just there and noticed a van exclaiming over it's loudspeaker "Vote No.1 for AJ Cahill". Now is it just me or is that breaking the moratorium? Thought that kind of lark wasn't allowed. Also, a ton of "personal thank-you" letters have been delivered through my friends door over the last two days, thanking them for being kind to the canvassers, most of which she didn't open the door to!!

Have I got the rules wrong or is that a bend of the moratorium? Can't seem to find detail on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Eviledna wrote: »
    I was enjoying a stroll in Salthill just there and noticed a van exclaiming over it's loudspeaker "Vote No.1 for AJ Cahill". Now is it just me or is that breaking the moratorium? Thought that kind of lark wasn't allowed. Also, a ton of "personal thank-you" letters have been delivered through my friends door over the last two days, thanking them for being kind to the canvassers, most of which she didn't open the door to!!

Have I got the rules wrong or is that a bend of the moratorium? Can't seem to find detail on the web.

I head that too, it was incredibly loud. Glad I didn't vote for him now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

I would have thought that Independents would do better.??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

kraggy wrote: »
    Many of the candidates flyers have the areas they are running for on them.

Otherwise, you could tell us what area you live in and we can let you know.

Too late, but offer appreciated. Flyers went straight into the bin...
    Due to that, I 'prepared' for the wrong electorate ward, thought I was in Galway West, but was City Center, so all my good intentions were useless, and I had to vote according to the principle of who will cause the least damage...

I really wanted to vote only for the guys who didnt' have posters up - but they were in Galway West...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

local ff hack peter keane needs your help!

dsc0215l.jpg

Isn't he a solicitor?
    I tried to contact him to find out what he'd do about local issues (really to challenge him, seeing as he's an FFer) and I could not find his details anywhere. As though he did not want to be contacted.
    Only today in the polling booth did i see his address.

btw skelliser what does that planning notice on munster ave say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

dunno man, i presume its for that garage behind the pole, theres some classic cars locked up there, a few rolls royces, seen inside a few times when walking past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

For West Ward;
    1) McNelis (Labour)
    2) Hanly (SF)
    3) McCabe (Ind)
    4) Connolly (Ind Labour)
    5)Mullholland (FG)
    6) Cahill (Ind)
    7) Callanan (Ind SF)
    8) Ó Brolcháin

I would've given Ó Brolcháin higher if he wasn't a Green and wasn't so high in the party (advisor to Gormley)
    Couldn't bring myself to vote for Fianna Fáil, the Independant PDs or Naughton.

Europe;
    1) O'Keeffe (Labour)
    2) Mac Loughlainn (SF)
    3) Harkin (Ind)
    4) Higgins (FG)

I can't really remember after that, I gave Fianna Fáil preferences but didn't give Ganley anything.
    I despise Libertas and their policies (or the few they have; day of the election and it's still "our policies will appear on the website over the next few weeks)

I didn't end up giving Tom Costello my #3 because Mr. Xiney reminded me that he was one of the guys who used his clout to get out of paying clamping fees.

feck that, like.

So I only voted for Derek Nolan and James Hope.

where can I get updates on the elections? I am listening to Galway Bay FM and its not giving me information on Oranmore area. Just interested to know how they are getting on so far.

In my area Galway East, it looks like James Hope is not doing well at all at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

where can I get updates on the elections? I am listening to Galway Bay FM and its not giving me information on Oranmore area. Just interested to know how they are getting on so far.

In my area Galway East, it looks like James Hope is not doing well at all at all...

maybe here

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/local/

Thanks Godon, it looks like it has no results yet.

• Advertisement

Tallies indicate:

East - McDonnell, O'Flaherty, Walsh, Michael Crowe, newcomer Derek Nolan, final seat between Tom Costello, Mary Leahy & Barra Nevin

West - Lyons, Connolly, Mullholland, newcomer Naughton with green O'Brolchain losing out

Central - Cameron, Conneely, newcomer Ollie Crowe, final seat between Colette Connolly and John Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

FFS have Galway Bay FM something against the Oranmore area.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

galwayrush wrote: »
    FFS have Galway Bay FM something against the Oranmore area.:confused:
    Share your pain :) Something there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ms flywheel

Billy Cameron was elected and Connelly will probably be elected too. It should be interesting to see who will get the other seat.

I feel sorry for James Hope though. I know him and his a nice guy, it just wasn't for him.

Galway West shall be interesting, just waiting for the information to appear on rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I feel sorry for James Hope though. I know him and his a nice guy, it just wasn't for him.
    I think his affiliation with the Greens did for him. Agreed that he's dead on and had a lot of good policies. He's only 31 though, he just has to rebuild for the next general election/local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tallies indicate:

West - Lyons, Connolly, Mullholland, newcomer Naughton with green O'Brolchain losing out

Does Galway West not have 5 seats and if so who are likely to be the winners of all five seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Derek Nolan elected in Galway East, delighted for him, good to see some new blood on the council. Was probably the most informed and knowledgeable candidate who called to my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tallies indicate:

with green O'Brolchain losing out

One less anti Air Show / By-Pass Councillor in City Hall :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

very happy to see Derek Nolan elected.

Here is a link to the rte Galway election site.

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/local/a10.html

.... oh what an exciting life i lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Delighted to hear derek nolan got a seat.

Advertisement