Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was at the count as much as I could (damned work kept me away for 8 hours)
    Our new councillors;

Galway City East;
    O'Flaherty (Independant PD)
    Derek Nolan (Labour)
    Walsh (FG)
    McDonnel (Independant PD)
    Crowe (FF)
    Costello (Labour)

City Centre;
    Cameron (Labour)
    Coneely (FG)
    Crowe (FF)
    Connolly (Labour)

West;
    Lyons (Independant PD)
    Connolly (Independant Labour)
    Naughton (FG)
    Keane (FF)
    McNelis (Labour)

New council has 3 FF, 3 FG, 5 Labour and 4 Independants.
    Was amazed to see Naughton do so well and Mulholland lose out in the West Ward.
    Sad to see Ó Brolcháin lose out; he's a good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Galway City Central

Re-elected:
    Billy Cameron (LAB)
    Collette Connolly (LAB)
    Padraic Conneely (FG)

Newly-elected:

Ollie Crowe (FF)

Seat(s) lost:
    John Connolly (FF)

Galway City East

Re-elected:
    Tom Costello (LAB)
    Michael J Crowe (FF)
    Declan McDonnell (IND)
    Terry O'Flaherty (IND)
    Brian Walsh (FG)

Newly-elected:
    Derek Nolan (LAB)

Seat(s) lost:
    Mary Leahy (FF)

Galway City West

Re-elected:
    Catherine Connolly (IND)
    Donal Lyons (IND)

Newly-elected:
    Peter Keane (FF)
    Níall McNeilis (LAB)
    Hildegarde Naughton (FG)

Seat(s) lost:
    Niall Ó Brolcháin (GP)
    Daniel Callanan (IND)
    John Mulholland (FG)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Galway City Central

Re-elected:
    Billy Cameron (LAB)
    Collette Connolly (LAB)
    Padraic Conneely (FG)

Newly-elected:

Ollie Crowe (FF)

Seat(s) lost:
    John Connolly (FF)

Galway City East

Re-elected:
    Tom Costello (LAB)
    Michael J Crowe (FF)
    Declan McDonnell (IND)
    Terry O'Flaherty (IND)
    Brian Walsh (FG)

Newly-elected:
    Derek Nolan (LAB)

Seat(s) lost:
    Mary Leahy (FF)

Galway City West

Re-elected:
    Catherine Connolly (IND)
    Donal Lyons (IND)

Newly-elected:
    Peter Keane (FF)
    Níall McNeilis (LAB)
    Hildegarde Naughton (FG)

Seat(s) lost:
    Niall Ó Brolcháin (GP)
    Daniel Callanan (IND)
    John Mulholland (FG)

Wow, Labour have really done well. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

With 5 Labour and 3 Fine Gael it looks like a Lab-FG voting pact will control the council. For all the limited power councillors have these days, the most important point of that will be who the mayor is - we will prob have 3 Labour and 2 FG mayors over the term of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Anyone feel like working out the maths to see if our poll above was accurate?

*disclaimer... I don't!

• Advertisement

Anyone feel like working out the maths to see if our poll above was accurate?

*disclaimer... I don't!

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/local/a10.html
    In seat to vote proportion it is accurate in some senses;
    Labour getting 1/3 of the poll vote and getting 5/15 seats, FG getting 1/5 of the seats and poll vote.

Strange really; Labour got less than both FF and FG but has the biggest share of seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

why is drogheda takin so long??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

lgoring21 wrote: »
    why is drogheda takin so long??

You'll be waiting even longer if you're hoping to get the result for Drogheda on Galway Bay FM.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Michael "The Stroke" Fahy just topped the poll in the Loughrea Electoral area .

If you want to see the finesht collection of Red Faces and Red Necks in Galway, encased in ill fitting stripey suits , then get thee over to the Tennis Club for the declaration of his election ( around 9pm) . They will bring the house down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

:ooopsies wrong forum

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »

If you want to see the finesht collection of Red Faces and Red Necks in Galway, encased in ill fitting stripey suits , then get thee over to the Tennis Club for the declaration of his election ( around 9pm) . They will bring the house down.

Shocking, fecking criminal and his faithful re-elected him.:(
    Glad i don't live in the Loughrea area, makes it seem like the rest of us have moved on and they stuck with gombeen politics.:rolleyes:

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Shoo shoo away to the county forum with you... Galway City is a Labour City :D

Never heard of the guy, but just heard him interviewed on GBFM. His mentions of the local priest, his "parishioners" and his mammy meant that the word gombeen sprang to mind though :p

cornbb wrote: »
    Never heard of the guy, but just heard him interviewed on GBFM. His mentions of the local priest, his "parishioners" and his mammy meant that the word gombeen sprang to mind though :p

Did he mention the Judge and some fencing around his land he tricked the Co Council into paying for?:D
    After the court case, the Judge asked him to do the honorable thing and resign his seat.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Did he mention the Judge and some fencing around his land he tricked the Co Council into paying for?:D
    After the court case, the Judge asked him to do the honorable thing and resign his seat.

I remember hearing about that but I thought it was a different Fahy. Is it the same guy that spent 6 months in jail and was welcomed back to the council chamber with a round of applause? I'm not clear on the facts but I remember that story depressing the hell out of me :(

cornbb wrote: »
    I remember hearing about that but I thought it was a different Fahy. Is it the same guy that spent 6 months in jail and was welcomed back to the council chamber with a round of applause? I'm not clear on the facts but I remember that story depressing the hell out of me :(

That's the guy, ex FF , and when they dropped him ( not a clue as to what happened) he went as Independent FF. Dropped the FF bit in recent times.:rolleyes:

That's the guy, ex FF , and when they dropped him ( not a clue as to what happened) he went as Independent FF. Dropped the FF bit in recent times.:rolleyes:

What a scumbag. The fact that they applauded him back in is even more appalling though, it'd be one thing if he was a rogue corrupt councillor but the support the rest of them showed for him shows that the sort of things he did are still forgiveable, or at least acceptable, and that corruption is endemic in local politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Shocking, fecking criminal and his faithful re-elected him.:(
    Glad i don't live in the Loughrea area, makes it seem like the rest of us have moved on and they stuck with gombeen politics.:rolleyes:

Could be worse at least they are not stuck with two crowes :)

Could be worse at least they are not stuck with two crowes :)

Is that a murder of crowes?!

Is that a murder of crowes?!

No, but watch out for our trees.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

No, but watch out for our trees.:eek:

If you thought it was bad enough reading OUTRAGED press releases from one Crowe every week in the local rags, now there are two! The Advertiser will have to print extra pages of "news" from now on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭magicface

What does everyone think of the overall elections nationwide? FF got hammered and the poor greens ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Not surprised - Mullholland losing out is a shock but after that its pretty much as expected...

As for the rest of the country, Brian Whelahan not getting any form of respectable vote in Offaly was a shock.

The stroke getting back in wasnt a shock, just a pity - repaying corrpution with loyalty, logic doesnt seem to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

What surprised me the most was that Fianna Fáil weren't hammered half hard enough. They seem to have - what?- a 20% following?

I read that Tom Parlon of the Construction Industry Federation is saying that the CIF won't be opposing NAMA. Seems to me that means that the Big Developers have some sort of done deal with Fianna Fáil, which would, in my view, warrent a revolution at worst or, at best, a ZERO vote in all elections, local or otherwise.

ABFF is how to protect our future.

(Anyone But Fianna Fáil)

What surprised me the most was that Fianna Fáil weren't hammered half hard enough. They seem to have - what?- a 20% following?

I read that Tom Parlon of the Construction Industry Federation is saying that the CIF won't be opposing NAMA. Seems to me that means that the Big Developers have some sort of done deal with Fianna Fáil, which would, in my view, warrent a revolution at worst or, at best, a ZERO vote in all elections, local or otherwise.

ABFF is how to protect our future.

(Anyone But Fianna Fáil)

Apparently, NAMA will huff and puff in the media, but certain people will never be followed for the money they owe.:mad:

Our new mayor;
    Declan McDonnell (Independant, ex PD, East Ward)
    Deputy Mayor; Peter Keane (Fianna Fáil, West Ward)

FF, FG and the ex PDs have joined together to freeze Labour out.
    I'm disappointed in FG; despite a nationwide campaign of offering themselves as an alternative to FF, they've jumped into bed with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Our new mayor;
    Declan McDonnell (Independant, ex PD, East Ward)
    Deputy Mayor; Peter Keane (Fianna Fáil, West Ward)

FF, FG and the ex PDs have joined together to freeze Labour out.
    I'm disappointed in FG; despite a nationwide campaign of offering themselves as an alternative to FF, they've jumped into bed with them.

FFS I wouldnt have given a tick to FG if i had of thought this is what they had in mind - does this mean we could potentially have Connelly back as Mayor at some stage in the future?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is an odd situation, FG go hand in hand with FF
    one of their goals in the pact is to provide funding to the airshow according to today's Sentinel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Jugs82 wrote: »
    FFS I wouldnt have given a tick to FG if i had of thought this is what they had in mind - does this mean we could potentially have Connelly back as Major at some stage in the future?

Connelly is FG so it's certainly possible. Looks like an alliance of the right. Makes more since than FG and Labour really.

Galway was unusual in that FF increased there share of the vote. Indeed I believe the Crowes were crowing about FF getting more first preferences than any other party in the City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'm no Fianna Fail supporter, but I think this is great news.

I base this solely on one issue though.

Labour and the Greens were against the Galway Bypass. The Greens (O'Brolchain) are gone (thank god) and he can thank his stance on the bypass for that to a large extent.

Labour were the danger, but now that they're frozen out, it seems we've pro bypass (and pro Airshow) people in power.

Great news....and my father and grandfather are spinning in their graves hearing me say that about the Soldiers of Destiny! :D

Advertisement