Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2009

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

dloob wrote: »
    Connelly is FG so it's certainly possible. Looks like an alliance of the right. Makes more since than FG and Labour really.

Galway was unusual in that FF increased there share of the vote. Indeed I believe the Crowes were crowing about FF getting more first preferences than any other party in the City.

Well, Crowe was elected as an Independnat last time wasn't he?
    If that is the case, it's not really much of a difference.

(A murder of Crowes hehehe)
    Jugs82 wrote: »
    FFS I wouldnt have given a tick to FG if i had of thought this is what they had in mind
    My thoughts exactly; I'm disappointed in Galway's FG.
    Nolan summed it up well at the council meeting where he responses to Walsh, basically saying that it's strange that a party like FG who make their national platform about how we need to kick FF out and here they are cosying up with them.
    Jugs82 wrote: »
    does this mean we could potentially have Connelly back as Mayor at some stage in the future?
    Possibly; my understanding of it is that FG get two mayorships (probably Naughton and Conneely. IIRC Walsh doesn't want the mayorship as he wants to spend time with his family)
    FF only get 1 (FG held them over the barrel as they could still go in with FG, FF never could) This will probably be Crowe as he wants to increase his exposure.
    Indos get 2 (one of which is McDonnel, other probably O'Flaherty as Lyons seemed to get in the pact at the last minute and has been mayor before)

Although I would say there will be uproar in the future; Coneely and Crowe both want to get into the Dáil and will probably squabble over who gets the mayorship at election time, given that the mayoralty is great exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

churchview wrote: »
    I'm no Fianna Fail supporter, but I think this is great news.

I base this solely on one issue though.

Labour and the Greens were against the Galway Bypass. The Greens (O'Brolchain) are gone (thank god) and he can thank his stance on the bypass for that to a large extent.

Labour were the danger, but now that they're frozen out, it seems we've pro bypass (and pro Airshow) people in power.

Great news....and my father and grandfather are spinning in their graves hearing me say that about the Soldiers of Destiny! :D

Do you really think the bypass is viable?
    The reason Labour is against the bypass is that it's not going to happen anytime soon. The Council is broke and the country is broke.
    The proposed bypass land is extremely expensive. There's just no money for it.

There's a massive difference between opposing the airshow per se and viewing it as impossible to implement right now.

I'd strongly disagree with you that Ó Brollcháin lost out largely because of the bypass; he came within a cat's whisker of the final seat.
    The Greens are in meltdown across the country and Ó Brollcháin saw siphoning of the centre-left vote off with McNelis.
    Attributing his loss in any significant part to the bypass is just plain silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I asked this before the election
    Has anyone got Cllr. Peter Keane's contact details? The only place I saw them was on the ballot paper when I voted and did not note the address at the time. City Council would'nt give the details because he has'nt given them his details officially yet..
    It's a bit unusual for a Cllr. to be so uncontactable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

He works in Keane Solicitors in Odeon House on Eyre Square

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

snubbleste wrote: »
    I asked this before the election
    Has anyone got Cllr. Peter Keane's contact details? The only place I saw them was on the ballot paper when I voted and did not note the address at the time. City Council would'nt give the details because he has'nt given them his details officially yet..
    It's a bit unusual for a Cllr. to be so uncontactable.

Have PM his details although they should have been available on the Galway City Council website

• Advertisement
Advertisement