Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a good lock..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

A disc lock is a good start but the aim is really to attach the bike to something immovable. Having an immobiliser and disc lock doesn't stop people lifting your bike into a van!

I think the best chain on the market is the Almax chain. Have a look at the video on their website: http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Expensive, but worth it!

And I think the key to not having your bike stolen is to not park it where it's unsafe. And by "unsafe" I mean "where you can't see it". I would never leave my bike unattended and I can see it through the window where I park it in work. THAT's the key to keeping your bike! Alarms/immobilisers, disc locks, chains, etc are only really deterrents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Having an immobiliser and disc lock doesn't stop people lifting your bike into a van!

Chain and lock, Almax if you can get it. Everything else is just a deterrent. The Almax is a greater deterrent.

I use a disk lock, immobilizer, almax chain to a lamppost and steering lock and all of this is full view of about 100 apartments. Even then if somebody really wants it they will get it. Same with your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Sids Not wrote: »
    Just got a new bike (to me) and was looking for a lock but i'm just wondering if theres any new devices out there or is the ol' chain and padlock still the best/most used...btw bike has an immobiliser.;)

A portable oxy-acetylene pack will cut through any kind of steel in a matter of seconds. Ditto a petrol powered con-saw. Ditto a battery powered angle grinder fitted with 1mm cutting discs. So there's no point in laying out for a creme-de-la-creme whatever the form of lock. Steel is steel to all these cutting devices and that appears to be the way thieves deal with locks. Their not picking them open :)

A U-lock is easier to hold on the bike than a chain (unless you've a topbox).

A small trick I pull when leaving the bike somewhere where I won't be around it for a while it is to run a 6mm stainless bolt through one of the rear discs ventilation holes and tightening up a nyloc nut on the inside to lock it in place. Thieves come prepared for what they expect to encounter - not what they don't expect to counter. They'll hack off the lock and go to wheel the bike away only to have the wheel (which one they won't know) lock up. The head of the bolt is button-headed and nigh on impossible to see unless you're looking for it.

It's not a dead cert but the hope is they'll be knocked out of their comfort zone and buggar off.

Even then if somebody really wants it they will get it. Same with your car.
    That is indeed the sad truth... :(

A small trick I pull when leaving the bike somewhere where I won't be around it for a while it is to run a 6mm stainless bolt through one of the rear discs ventilation holes and tightening up a nyloc nut on the inside to lock it in place. Thieves come prepared for what they expect to encounter - not what they don't expect to counter. They'll hack off the lock and go to wheel the bike away only to have the wheel (which one they won't know) lock up. The head of the bolt is button-headed and nigh on impossible to see unless you're looking for it.

It's not a dead cert but the hope is they'll be knocked out of their comfort zone and buggar off.
    I like your style! Excellent idea! Could end up pissing them off and you get to keep your bike! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Alternative is to get insurance which covers theft.....obviously depends upon the specific contract, but in a climate of falling asset-value it does make sense.

If God forbid yr bike does get stolen insurance payout would mean you might even conceivably be able to upgrade ;)

Also while no lock is 100% guaranteed, if you have a solid contract with a reputable insurance company you can be pretty sure that you'll be covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I like your style! Excellent idea! Could end up pissing them off and you get to keep your bike! ;)

Depending on the layout of your rear brake pedal, it's not hard to insert something between pedal and the bike so as to jam the brake pedal on. I use a piece of black rubber which again, is nearly invisable.

After my CBR6 got nicked (via the oxy-acetylene route) I vowed "never again". At home and in work I've got homemade anchors made out of 1" plate into which you ride the bike. You could cut through it in theory - but not without melting the front wheel. If there's a weak point in the system it would be the 1 and half inch steel shaft that goes through the front wheel - it being exposed to the oxy/acet or cutting disc route.

I had this idea of boring out the shaft, filling it with petrol and plugging the fill hole with a bolt.

Then I figured ... it's only a bike

:)

Advertisement