Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using the Garda Ombudsman ?

Options
  • 13-03-2009 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Has anyone here had cause to date to avail of the services of the Garda Ombudsman in relation to obtaining their firearm's certificates ? and if so what if any was the result?

After 8 month's of constantly making polite enquiries of the Super and the appointed Firearms officer, I have gotten exactly nowhere :mad: and have elected to use both the Ombudsman and a Solicitor.

I'd liek to know if anyone else has used their services.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i had it hot and heavy this week with them .
    licencing in dublin are doing 28 of feb yesterday .my application has gone a wall if its not sorted out by next week i will be asking the nargc to look after it for me
    i would not except this from them there payed from the shoulders down end of story .
    too many of them trying to be the great fella
    if your a member of the nargc they will sort it out for you in a week ,if not make a complaint to the ombudsman in a open letter also send it to your super .
    if more people complained they would not be so flippant with us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Have either of you tried asking your association to call the Firearms Policy Unit? If you look in Sparks thread about the conference in Mullingar last month you will find more details.

Edit: Sorry My bad :(. Read that thread again and it's actually your Association that contacts the FPU on your behalf and not the individual.

So ask your Association (if you're a member of one) to ask the FPU what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 skye22x

you would be wasting your time contacting the garda ombudsman for anything, I have dealt with them and they dont seem to no left from right,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

My understanding of the Ombudsman is that it is to complain about an individual Garda, their conduct/misconduct etc.
    I think it's safe to say from experience and numerous threads here that the Garda who deals with you at the counter has little or no control over the firearms application system.
    As said before, this is a miniscule part of the Gardai's role. With huge crime figures, a country of bad roads and terrible drivers, etc etc. you can see why the local Superintendant has other priorities.

From experience a meeting with the local Super gets a lot done quicker, but unfortunately they can be hard to get a hold of.

mcguiver wrote: »
    My understanding of the Ombudsman is that it is to complain about an individual Garda, their conduct/misconduct etc.
    I think it's safe to say from experience and numerous threads here that the Garda who deals with you at the counter has little or no control over the firearms application system.
    As said before, this is a miniscule part of the Gardai's role. With huge crime figures, a country of bad roads and terrible drivers, etc etc. you can see why the local Superintendant has other priorities.

From experience a meeting with the local Super gets a lot done quicker, but unfortunately they can be hard to get a hold of.

i spent two months waiting on a licence to come back ,when i enquired about i got the run about ,when i pushed them it turned out the cpo had it .
    for two bloody months ! .my security was already look at and passed ,i have a strong room in my house with a safe in it do they not keep this stuff on file.
    what a waste of time and tax payers money .
    there is a attitude in the police force in ireland towards us firearm owners do these people not realise we are the safest and most responsible citizens in the country.
    we see far more gardai up in the courts on various charges than private firearm owners .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

That's where most of the complaints stem from here, the lack of communication & being pushed from pillar to post.

Ironsight,

Here is a link that gives you the A-Z of what to do.

Never had reason to go there myself so can't comment on how effective they are or aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I dont know what the solution is. There is systematic failure dealing with applications. Maybe it's time for a government agency to take over the process, but I suppose with the economy and the changing times in firearms circles I doubt if anything will happen in the near future:confused:

But to stay on topic, maybe the Ombudsman would advise if they would look at a system problem rather than an individual problem. (From experience this seems to be a nationwide issue).

I dont know what the solution is. There is systematic failure dealing with applications. Maybe it's time for a government agency to take over the process, but I suppose with the economy and the changing times in firearms circles I doubt if anything will happen in the near future:confused:

But to stay on topic, maybe the Ombudsman would advise if they would look at a system problem rather than an individual problem. (From experience this seems to be a nationwide issue).

there looking into a agency from what i heard each provence or county will have there own office to look after all licences and renewals .
    mine is gone from before 22 jan the local cop rang me to day to ask me my date of birth so there only doing it now .when is asked him i it not send he dodged the question .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There is an agency set up to ensure consistency - it's the Garda Firearms Policy Unit that rrpc mentioned above. Get your association to contact them if you run into problems like that.

Advertisement