Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmental Health Officer (for Houses)

Options
  • 13-03-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Happened to be at home during the day today (which is a rare occurance) and somebody called to the house looking for my flatmate who's in receipt of both job seekers allowance and rent allowance. They told me they were an environmental health officer (EHO) with the county council and had a housing appointment with my housemate to check the house, but because they weren't there the EHO didn't come in.

Does anybody know why an EHO would arrange a 'housing appointment'? And what are the consequences/benefits? Do they have to inspect the whole house or just the rooms to which my housemate has access (ie - bedroom, kitchen, living room. etc.)?

I've never lived with anyone who's been in receipt of social welfare before, nor have I (thankfully, thus far!) had to rely on social welfare payments to get by, so I have no clue as to what the procedures and policies are, so I'd appreciate if anyone could enlighten me/give me advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine they want to know that they property is habitable.

Separately, council housing departments get funding from the PRTB to do inspections of all rented properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Thanks!

Advertisement