Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

high tension power lines crossing site

• 13-03-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭

I hope this is in the right place, if not please let me know where i should be posting.
    I'm interested in buying a site that has come on the market in my locality. Its a few acres, great location and has full planning.
    The only downside that I have is the fact that in the adjoining field there is a huge pylon and the high tension wires from it (3 no.) traverse the site. in reality they do not affect the views much, my concern is all the "talk" that you hear about living near them and how they can cause illness.
    I'm asking really for opinions on these and whether or not people think that they should cause me concern healthwise (as I said the views are not an issue).
    The lines traverse what would be the driveway and are located about 20m from the proposed house.
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I would contact the ESB with a copy of the site location and site layout plans, which should show the lines, just to be on the safe side. The ESB have recommended minimum distances to build in proximity to their lines/pylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

i may be wrong but i have never heard of electrical cables causing illness,maybe you are mixing the idea up with a mobile communications mast/tower that emits radiation.Electrical cables would have magnetic flux around them which is not harmfull,but i stand to be corrected,also look for anything like a transformer close by as this may emit a buzzing sound which you might be able to hear on a quiet night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

pieface_ie wrote: »
    i may be wrong but i have never heard of electrical cables causing illness,maybe you are mixing the idea up with a mobile communications mast/tower that emits radiation.Electrical cables would have magnetic flux around them which is not harmfull,but i stand to be corrected,also look for anything like a transformer close by as this may emit a buzzing sound which you might be able to hear on a quiet night.

I have heard of this and the opinions vary. I grew up beside high tension cables near my home.

Ive never found much problems, its rather useful having 3 arms imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The ESB (ESB International) have easements reserved in most cases where high voltage lines are in place. There are restrictions on what can be built and how far (or near) it can be built from the lines. As advised contact the ESB ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Here's some reading matter on both sides of the argument.

http://www.royalrife.com/powerlines.html

www.geocities.com/no_powerlines/documents/RICHTERreport.rtf

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/emf.html

I think it's one of those cases where the jury is still out, however I am always skeptical of the conclusions reached when one side of the argument maybe influenced by money from big business.

Personally I would not build within 500m of overhead high tension power cables.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I wouldn't buy the site if there were high tension lines passing on a nearby pylon, you are going to find it hard to sell afterwards if you build there

Advertisement