Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Talent Show - Final, March 15th

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

kevo2009 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHTOpXSgkMQ&feature=channel_page

Sums up the All Ireland Talent Show for me.

TBH this is just as bad as any song on the LiveLine when Joe Duffy bring Brush Sheilds in to the studio some Fridays.

Not that funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

If you ask me, the Mulkerns deserved to win! A talented family!
    I mean there was some talent on that show & excellent variety!
    Singing, dancing, music ect.
    It was a good final! I must say I did like Jack Lynch allot too, a dancing masterpiece to me! (Im no expert)
    I will enjoy the interview tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

ateam wrote: »
    The acts on the final would be classed as the funny or joke acts in X Factor or Britain's Got Talent. 50grand seems far too much for such an amateur programme. 50 grand of licence payers money on that absolute tripe.

+10000

All of them acts would have been buzzed off by cowen (simon now brian...lolol) after 30 seconds

sad to see our tv licence money and 50 grand of tax going on trollop

+10000

All of them acts would have been buzzed off by cowen (simon now brian...lolol) after 30 seconds

sad to see our tv licence money and 50 grand of tax going on trollop

I don't believe that but perhaps you consider Irish people Hicks or something. Personally I would rather real people then the fake jokes that are X-factor Judges and Contestants.

Guess what RTÉ and the production company made allot more then 50,000 in Advertising Revenue and in the Phone in vote, I am sure they didn't need to touch the license fee.

Also did you see the dancing in the rain guy from Britain's Got Talent IMO just as bad and as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

ana ng wrote: »
    Oh, and for those that don't know, Daithí Droney is doing what Owen Pallett (Final Fantasy) does in his solo performances. (check youtube and you'll see).

Swap the fiddle for the guitar, and KT Tunstall did it years ago too, 'live' on Jonathan Ross if memory serves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Meh... I'm sure RTE made enough to cover the 50k....although Im surprised that they didn't drag it out for a few more weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

The show would have worked slightly better IMO if the semi-finals had been over a week with the final on a Saturday night, like in Britain's Got Talent. The whole thing was dragged out too much over 5/6 weeks and showed up the lack of talent even more, along with the endless pleas for votes.

The right act won last night anyway, considering the acts that were there (although I was cheering for Jack! He was lovely.). The opera singer was the most talented there, but she chose a song last night where she couldn't do the high notes and it probably worked against her, also someone from the North would have very little regional support on an RTE show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 guntermurray

Whats the name of the song that Bert and Victor sang last night?
    gunter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Elmo wrote: »
    I don't believe that but perhaps you consider Irish people Hicks or something. Personally I would rather real people then the fake jokes that are X-factor Judges and Contestants.

Guess what RTÉ and the production company made allot more then 50,000 in Advertising Revenue and in the Phone in vote, I am sure they didn't need to touch the license fee.

Also did you see the dancing in the rain guy from Britain's Got Talent IMO just as bad and as good.

I don't think Irish people are hicks but I think the final did a fairly good job of making us look like unoriginal untalented hicks. The guy that won the last series of Talent in the UK wasn't great, but the acts in general over that have been fantastic and there was some truly original and entertaining stuff happening. That show makes variety, a lost genre, seem accessible again. Our version comes across as a cynical attempt to copy that but without doing the homework first. Just look at the pathetic wild card gimmick, kept everyone happy so that each judge could be a part of the final.

The winning act is dreadful. Tacky to the extreme and completely unoriginal. Yes they're talent, but they're not the whole package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Whats the name of the song that Bert and Victor sang last night?
    gunter

The Man Who Can't Be Moved - The Script.
    Not sure how much of the song they were playing. I dont think they were playing the guitar picked bit.

• Advertisement

Wheels wrote: »
    I don't think Irish people are hicks but I think the final did a fairly good job of making us look like unoriginal untalented hicks. The guy that won the last series of Talent in the UK wasn't great, but the acts in general over that have been fantastic and there was some truly original and entertaining stuff happening. That show makes variety, a lost genre, seem accessible again. Our version comes across as a cynical attempt to copy that but without doing the homework first. Just look at the pathetic wild card gimmick, kept everyone happy so that each judge could be a part of the final.

The winning act is dreadful. Tacky to the extreme and completely unoriginal. Yes they're talent, but they're not the whole package.

I disagree with you as do many other just because your embarrased because of this show doesn't mean I have to be (it is only a TV show after all). I thought the Final was a good show and the acts where talented. I agree the Blainthaid's act was tokenistic, she didn't deserve to be there. But the rest of the contestants did a good job.

They should have produced a wildcard show.

I didn't think the act was tacky. Unlike the Xfactor which brings tacky and vain to a whole new level of utter egotism. It seems to me you don't like Traditional Irish Music.

I don't know why I am defending this show I don't even like these types of shows but I don't think it is any worse or any better than the English ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wheels wrote: »

The winning act is dreadful. Tacky to the extreme and completely unoriginal.

It depends if you view traditional Irish music and dance as being tacky and unoriginal I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Elmo wrote: »
    I didn't think the act was tacky. Unlike the Xfactor which brings tacky and vain to a whole new level of utter egotism. It seems to me you don't like Traditional Irish Music.

The show isn't like the X-Factor, it's meant to be Britain's Got Talent (blatantly and unashamedly) which is about variety. There was very little variety throughout the entire series and the final didn't go very far in showing we are a talented nation, just that the producers know what will get the audience voting. The two lads from Dublin who couldn't hold a note both times they sang live... The various untalented under 10's who could perform but clearly couldn't sing... And then the cute 7 year old 'break dancer' who when it comes down to it, could do a flip and cart wheel but not actually break dance.

Yes you made the point that the others didn't audition, but that's what I mean when it's a knock off without doing the homework. If the talent isn't there, why bother? And if it is, then do a better job at selling yourself to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the camera and lights weren't there it would have been fine in a local community hall with the parrish priest as Master Of Ceremonies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

Britain's Got Talent does have some woeful acts in the finals, but on the whole the acts are pretty good and the standard on it is much higher than on the AITS. BGT is also a much better produced show for all it's faults (sob stories etc). The scoring, wildcard selection and judges on the AITS are the worst I've ever seen on any reality show and I've seen a fair few.

Glasvegas on TG4 has judges who give more constructive criticism. They are also yes men to an extent but Tom Brannigan will normally criticise something he thinks is rubbish. AITS came across as too patronising to the viewer when the judges praised everything on show.

The standard of talent on Glasvegas is low but IMO it's actually a much more entertaining show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Kat Slater wrote: »
    Britain's Got Talent does have some woeful acts in the finals, but on the whole the acts are pretty good and the standard on it is much higher than on the AITS. BGT is also a much better produced show for all it's faults (sob stories etc). The scoring, wildcard selection and judges on the AITS are the worst I've ever seen on any reality show and I've seen a fair few.

Glasvegas on TG4 has judges who give more constructive criticism. They are also yes men to an extent but Tom Brannigan will normally criticise something he thinks is rubbish. AITS came across as too patronising to the viewer when the judges praised everything on show.

The standard of talent on Glasvegas is low but IMO it's actually a much more entertaining show.

they make about 40 glas vegas shows a year yet no one watches the thing

its pretty awfull , that tom guy is a legend , in his own lunchtime that is

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    they make about 40 glas vegas shows a year yet no one watches the thing

its pretty awfull , that tom guy is a legend , in his own lunchtime that is

In fairness they make Glas Vegas and Nollige No 1 on about 50c and it is on a minority channel. Even The Wire didn't get many viewers when TG4 started showing it when it first started. However I don't think I can compare the Wire to this reality stupidity. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

At least in Glas Vegas there is some honesty with the acts. The All Ireland Talent Show needed people to be tough with the acts. Not the mollycoddling that went on. Dana was the only one who seemed to be prepared to criticize any of the acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

The parish pride thing mentioned by the presenter was a joke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

I enjoyed the whole series to be honest, and thought everyone upped their game for the final.

there wasnt that much advertising done before it started, I mean the shoe was only launched two days before the dublin audition, so most people hadnt heard of it to audition.

I think next year the talent will be much higher as people will see how much exposure it got.

Most people know that a show like this won't change your life overnight, but if you want to make a career out of your talent, it gives you a platform to get your name out there, and if your already gigging, you can charge a lot more, and get bigger numbers at your gig once you've been on a show such as this.

hopefully they will promote the audition dates better this year, I might just go for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

+ 1

I Couldnt agree more! Wat an ASS!!!
    Wouldnt know a talented act if it him in the face!
    Him being so annoying actually turned me off watching the show! ...well that and the fact that it was an embarrassment to anyone Irish aswell! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

the girl singing hit the road jack was terrible - who was her adviser and stylist - P45 on their way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Cliona Hagan was the only talent on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

JP Liz wrote: »
    Cliona Hagan was the only talent on the show

She sounded like a sick chipmunk!! serioully, sang through her nose and couldnt make out what she was singing half the time! Just because she sang high pitched and horribly shrill does not make her a good classical singer! it was horrible!

Advertisement