Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-meat sources of Iron

• 13-03-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Hi, bit concerned that my iron levels might be a bit low (blood donor clinic wouldnt take my blood :() so am looking for more ideas on how to increase my iron intake without resorting to meat or supplements.....

I know (think) spinach is high in iron and while I do love it, I can't really have it every day or I'll get bored. I have also cut down significantly on the amount of tea I drink as I have a vague recollection of reading that the tanin in it hinders iron absorbtion....

Any useful tips would be appriciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Excellent food sources of iron include chard, spinach, thyme, and turmeric.

Very good sources of iron include romaine lettuce, blackstrap molasses, tofu, mustard greens, turnip greens, string beans, and shiitake mushrooms.

Good sources of iron include beef tenderloin, lentils, Brussel sprouts, asparagus, venison, garbanzo beans, broccoli, leeks, and kelp.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=70#foodsources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Also increase vitamin C intake as this aids absorption. Eg. drink a glass of orange juice with meal, or have a kiwi for dessert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

spinach has oxalic acid which prevents your body absorbing the iron in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

spinach has oxalic acid which prevents your body absorbing the iron in it.

You can eat spinach with foods that enhance iron absorption.
    Iron Absorption Enhancers

Meat, fish, or poultry
    Fruits: Orange, Orange Juice, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapefruit and other Vitamin-C rich fruits
    Vegetables: Broccoli, brussels sprouts, tomato, tomato juice, potato, green & red peppers
    White wine

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I'm constantly battling with anaemia. Unfortunately I can't eat much fruit as it hurts my tummy (I have crohn's) but I drink Ribena with my dinner as it's high in VitC and I find it a big help. It's really difficult to find foods besides meat to help with iron intake as they aren't absorbed as easily. I drink horlicks at nighttime as it has 25% RDA and also breakfast cereals are quite good... but you HAVE to make sure you're getting plenty of VitC to have any hope of absorbing this iron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

You can get a lot of Iron from fortified breakfast cereals, some even have 100% of the RDA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Did they say anything to you at the donation clinic? One of the common causes of low iron for women is if it's around your period if I remember correctly (I'm guessing you're female from your nick).

If you're very worried about it, maybe consider an iron supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Dark green leafy veg (not lettuce, but spinach, kale etc), dried fruits, sesame seeds, most cereals are fortified. And make sure you're eating/drinking something with Vitamin C in the same meal so you can absorb it. There's a link thread in the veggie forum which will probably help you out as well.

Advertisement