Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise on lens please

• 13-03-2009 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

I have a Nikon D60 and today I was at the Ulster A v Munster A match. I used my 70-300 (it doesn't have AF) in aperature mode and I was really disapointed with the results. It was a dull day and I couldn't get it below f5... even at that my shutter speed was too slow. To make a long story short I'm going to Edinburgh for the Irish match tomorrow and I was considering picking this lens up in Edinburgh tomorrow.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/Tamron/28-300mm%20f3.5-6.3%20XR%20DI%20(Nikon%20AFD)-29449/Show.html

Will it be good enough for me to get a few good shots at the game? I'm very much a newbie btw and really don't have big money to spend on a lens.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I don't shoot sports but anyhow; I presume you will need to use the lens at the further end (ie 300mm), if that is the case your 70-300mm is faster than the one you are looking to buy (Your 70-300 has a maximum aperature of f5.6 at 300mm and the 28-300mm is f6.3 at 300mm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What ISO were you using?

Decent sports shots means forking out the big bucks. There's no two ways about it really. You're talking about f/2.8 for low light situations... even then, high iso too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jimbellows

Man I wish shooting sports shots was simpler
    clear.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

To get any decent shutter speed you need a f2.8 lens and high ISO in this dull climate, The f5.6 at the 300 end won't be enough to give you the shutter speed you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wait...I'm really surprised that you couldn't get a decent shutter speed at F5.6 during the day, even if it is overcast. Did you try increasing the ISO?

Also, as said, the lens you're looking at does not have a better aperture, it's just a lot wider at the low end. However, it is designed for film, which means the DSLR sensor is gonna crop it, which means the focal length is an effective 44-465mm, which is pretty cool. But it won't help shutter speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

SBPhoto wrote: »
    To get any decent shutter speed you need a f2.8 lens and high ISO in this dull climate, The f5.6 at the 300 end won't be enough to give you the shutter speed you need

I've taken a few sports shots at 300mm f/5.6.
    Managed to get a decent shutter speed without bumping up the ISO too much.
    Conditions vary a lot from day to day so sports shooting is possible, even with mediocre equipment (Tamron 70-300 in this case).

Quick_Change_by_RichyX83.jpg

Going_for_the_Ball_by_RichyX83.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Really depends on the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I did not mean that you could not get a decent shutter speed at f5.6. but in very dull overcast weather its hard to do so. Its just that a f2.8 lens could be the difference in getting the shot or not. especially if you are working for the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Thanks folks, I decided not to buy it cos it was a spur of the moment thing. Maybe it's time to start saving!

Advertisement