Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

grinding teeth

• 14-03-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

hi just wonder as you guys know im new to biking but iv noticed since iv started riding that iv been clenching or even grinding my teeth while driving does this happen to any of ye guys and how do i stop???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

You must suffer from anxiety whilst riding or something. Are you confident, relaxed and comfortable when you're riding?

I personally don't grind my teeth (and never heard of this being a problem either). I just smile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

hi just wonder as you guys know im new to biking but iv noticed since iv started riding that iv been clenching or even grinding my teeth while driving does this happen to any of ye guys and how do i stop???

Your beginning to see the extent of your exposure to danger and are possibly starting to compute what would happen if such and such which nearly occurred actually did occur.

Only a fool or the innoculated would stare the potential for death or serious injury in the face and smile at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Only a fool or the innoculated would stare the potential for death or serious injury in the face and smile at it.
    Well, I smile!

Well, I smile!

Me too - often enough. Innoculation..

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

You must suffer from anxiety whilst riding or something. Are you confident, relaxed and comfortable when you're riding?

I personally don't grind my teeth (and never heard of this being a problem either). I just smile!

wow that makes sense as i said im new and haven't rode a bike in years so guess im still finding my feet:):) haha and i taught i was just cold :D:D

• Advertisement

Your beginning to see the extent of your exposure to danger and are possibly starting to compute what would happen if such and such which nearly occurred actually did occur.

great post:D:D ah im sure il become more comfortable with time??

great post:D:D ah im sure il become more comfortable with time??

I'm not sure if "comfortable" is the word. You get more confident* over the years but that's offset by the realisation that there are more dangers out there than you could ever have first have realised. The essence of motorcycling is that it's a environment consisting completely of death traps. The fun comes from knowing you're managing things so as to be riding within an envelope of safety - at which point you're free to enjoy the freedom.

1st: establish your safety (zone)

2nd: enjoy the freedom and thrill

Always in that order...

What tends to happen in time is that you leave the fast, carefree riding to open, clear roads where riding conditions are good. The rest you consider with caution - which usually means slow and eyes-wide-open.

* By confident I don't mean the confidence that comes from leaving your stabilisers behind for the first time. When you realise you can control this machine to an extent. That kind of confidence is a potentially lethal kind of confidence because it makes you think that being able to ride a bike in the physical sense in any way prepares you for riding a bike in the riding a bike sense. When that kind of confidence descends, it's time to be extra alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

ive been on bikes for about 7 years now had a couple of years break when i had a car
    i find myslef clenching my teeth sometimes, dont know why, im quite confident and very aware of the dangers surrounding me.
    I seem to do it when theres nothin in my head
    for instance i usually sing to myself as i ride the bike, pretty loud too :D
    i would be up in a friends house, leave to go home, take the first corner and realise my jaw is clenched.
    just one of those things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

nothing to worry about. i giggle like a school girl. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I know exactly what ya mean by grinding teeth, especially if the eyesight is not to good....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

try chewing-gum, I find it useful when in difficult conditions such as snow as a kind of distraction - you can bear down while fish-tailing:D

ye iv done the chewing gum and since then iv not been clenching my teeth really:):)

I'm not sure if "comfortable" is the word. You get more confident* over the years but that's offset by the realisation that there are more dangers out there than you could ever have first have realised. The essence of motorcycling is that it's a environment consisting completely of death traps. The fun comes from knowing you're managing things so as to be riding within an envelope of safety - at which point you're free to enjoy the freedom.

1st: establish your safety (zone)

2nd: enjoy the freedom and thrill

Always in that order...

What tends to happen in time is that you leave the fast, carefree riding to open, clear roads where riding conditions are good. The rest you consider with caution - which usually means slow and eyes-wide-open.

* By confident I don't mean the confidence that comes from leaving your stabilisers behind for the first time. When you realise you can control this machine to an extent. That kind of confidence is a potentially lethal kind of confidence because it makes you think that being able to ride a bike in the physical sense in any way prepares you for riding a bike in the riding a bike sense. When that kind of confidence descends, it's time to be extra alert.

are you eating dictionary bites for breakie haha:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

and here was me thinking this thread was about excessive sprocket wear.

fvck my life

KamiKazi wrote: »

fvck my life

sorry KamiKazi for ruining your day haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Just put your visor down and sing loudly, I do that all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

KamiKazi wrote: »

fvck my life

So did I!

I do the teeth grinding thing sometimes, always in the morning when it's cold. It's just getting used to the cold, it passes when you're out for 2 or 3 minutes. You probably do the same whan you get out of the shower, just getting used to the first bit of cold after being warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

art wrote: »
    Just put your visor down and sing loudly, I do that all the time.

No way, VISOR DOWN
    I sing all the time with VISOR UP
    Get some weird looks :D

hmmm singing makes sense haha but im bad enough for winking at people and then realising they cant see me haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

I do the chewing gum trick, i find it also helps prevent my visor fogging up too much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement