Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Exams really only work on certain subjects in my opinion.

Not a great way of grading some arts subjects.

What do you think of music exams? I'm not convinced... The theory exam was grand, but I'm not into this history stuff. Maybe because it seems less practical. I want to do composition, so I was interested in learning the theory stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

'fraid that comes with the University education, even composers need a bit of grounding in history I think. Knowing where you come from can often tell you where you want to go, or not want to go in come cases.

Norrdeth wrote: »
    'fraid that comes with the University education, even composers need a bit of grounding in history I think. Knowing where you come from can often tell you where you want to go, or not want to go in come cases.
    Oh yeah, I know this is the sort of stuff I have to know! Doesn't mean I like it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

I agree, musicology is not my strong point =(
    Still have to do a 15 page essay on Polish Contemporary music though.
    Not that fun so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

History is grand, definately a brilliant subject to be studying in music (speaking as a composer student).

but its examined wrong.

Take as a contrast History in UCD (from teh time i studied there). Here, we were given ten topics that would come up on the exam, of which we had to answer two. It gave us not only the opportunity to study specifically for the exam, but also specifically to our wants.

• Advertisement

Take as a contrast History in UCD (from teh time i studied there). Here, we were given ten topics that would come up on the exam, of which we had to answer two. It gave us not only the opportunity to study specifically for the exam, but also specifically to our wants.

Ugh, that's much better. I'm cramming for the exam tomorrow right now, studying Liszt. I'm finding this stuff fascinating. But the history of the concerto? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

If ye did that in an essay, then
    in probably won't come up in the exam. Thus is Alison, right? Cover all your bases! Know a little about everything.

banquo wrote: »
    If ye did that in an essay, then
    in probably won't come up in the exam. Thus is Alison, right? Cover all your bases! Know a little about everything.

Yeah, it's Alison. Thanks for the advice. She gave us four topics to cover, saying that we'd have to do two questions, so everyone I know of (myself included) just studied two. Bad plan?

Possibly! You'll probably get one of those two topics at least. All-nighter? Because I am the king if those. God bless the 24hr mcdonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

English exam in 14 hours. No study done. Not much of an idea how to study for it. Exam before it in 11 hours. Sounds like a challenge for K4t. :cool:

Hmmm red bull....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

*Yawns* Trains ftl

Possibly! You'll probably get one of those two topics at least. All-nighter? Because I am the king if those. God bless the 24hr mcdonalds.

Well I didn't do an all-nighter, and I got really lucky :cool:

I never got the all-nighter thing. A good sleep improves your performance much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Well I didn't do an all-nighter, and I got really lucky :cool:

I never got the all-nighter thing. A good sleep improves your performance much more.

Damn you Rory! Got two hours sleep, with trying to study, and still got screwed over by the Schumann!! Bahhh *shakes fist*

Damn you Rory! Got two hours sleep, with trying to study, and still got screwed over by the Schumann!! Bahhh *shakes fist*

Was I right in thinking you didn't look too happy when you were leaving the hall?

The Schumann question was a bit sneaky after telling us to learn about "Sonata Form" in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

This forum often makes me regret not taking music as a subject :pac: damn you secondary school and your lack of options! And my lack of musical talent too lol

Just one exam left :D w00t!

Halfway there for me, tomorrow's is going to be nasty! :(

Is that the anthropology one? My housemate was giving out about it earlier, sounds like a bit of a balls.

Yeah it is! Everyone seems to be giving out about it.

This forum often makes me regret not taking music as a subject :pac: damn you secondary school and your lack of options! And my lack of musical talent too lol

Just one exam left :D w00t!

It has little to do with musical talent. Ask funky penguin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

oh no he di'-eh! I think he did, talk to the hand etc.

funky-p and banquo are quite the Virtuosos,

3rd year Bmus really sorts the Virtuosos from the Virtuo"so-so"s :pac:<a h'yuck>

• Advertisement

Brilliant!

Between that and your facebook atatus, you are on fire tonight James :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

We're such music nerds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

While failing to learn about bacteria, I've been struck down with food poisoning...curse you wicked irony!!:mad:

and the 10 day out-of-date soup...

It has little to do with musical talent. Ask funky penguin ;)
    BURRRRRN!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

speaking of bacteria: the press above the cooker in my flat started growing this weird bacterial fungus thing in the corner, it smelled of potato skins and medication so I immediatly stopped smelling and got the kitchen cleaner (mr mucle) to get rid of it.

I hope accidentally smelling it dosnt turn me into a menta..., give me asthm... epilep.. no.. make my hair fall out!

Uh oh, slept in by an hour, bad me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

speaking of bacteria: the press above the cooker in my flat started growing this weird bacterial fungus thing in the corner, it smelled of potato skins and medication so I immediatly stopped smelling and got the kitchen cleaner (mr mucle) to get rid of it.

I hope accidentally smelling it dosnt turn me into a menta..., give me asthm... epilep.. no.. make my hair fall out!

Well actually, fungus and bacteria are two different things and bacteria can't exist around fungus, like duh *looks all smug* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Well actually, fungus and bacteria are two different things and bacteria can't exist around fungus, like duh *looks all smug* ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Anyone else see the Steven Merchant lookalike working as an invigilator in lower loftus!? I actually think it's him. He's got the same walk and persona too. It's brilliant! Had me in fits during my exam, just aswell I didn't know how to answer the questions.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If he only he was as funny as Steven.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement