Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Shutter Island any good?

barleybanquo saw this and thought it was well worth a gander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Went to see Kick Ass instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Did it do what it said on the tin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

It did indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Kick-Ass is awesome! Anyone around this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Well, I kinda live ten minutes away if that counts as being here? May go to the library tomorrow, but my bed is proving more comfortable than it has ever been in the 11 years that I've had it, which is deadly as we approach the final 50 days of Final Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I might be ending this college year next month completely broke. And unless I find a job, I may not be able to pursue a post-grad just yet.

This requires much planning/thinking......

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

I'm going to have to do a repeat exam for AC101 :( does anyone know the rules here, sure I can do a repeat exam even though I failed my assignment? The assignment was not required to pass (it was worth 20 % though, so failing it was a hard blow).

/John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    I might be ending this college year next month completely broke. And unless I find a job, I may not be able to pursue a post-grad just yet.

This requires much planning/thinking......

In the same boat, and I REALLY don't want to put off my Masters. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'll have the SU employ you as my underlings.

You may hand me towels as I need them.

• Advertisement

Banquo, always such the gentleman... :)

Anyone know the answer to my question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

As far as I know, continuous assessment stuff isn't required unless stated. But that stuff cannot be repeated.

Good luck in the exam!

I know that CA cannot be repeated, but I can still pass the course if I do better on the repeat exam in august?

In the same boat, and I REALLY don't want to put off my Masters. :(

Same. I know my-ex took the year off to work and he had planned to come back to do a post-grad. But he never did and is now doing something completely different. I just don't want that to happen to me, because I think if I took even a year off I'd find it so hard to get back into college again:(

Wendero wrote: »
    I'm going to have to do a repeat exam for AC101 :( does anyone know the rules here, sure I can do a repeat exam even though I failed my assignment? The assignment was not required to pass (it was worth 20 % though, so failing it was a hard blow).

/John

http://www.nuim.ie/modules/2010/AC101

According to this, you don't need to pass the CA to pass the module. It just says "Pass standard: 40%" and I think if the CA were required, it would say. So I say if you do well enough in the exam, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

I know that CA cannot be repeated, but I can still pass the course if I do better on the repeat exam in august?

Hi Wendero, I think the mark from CA is carried forward if you repeat the exam. So if you get over 40% between your mark from the assignment and the repeat exam you should be able to pass.

Is the course a core one? If not, you might be able to pass by compensation...

Yes, my understanding is that I have to get 50 %

80 % of the grade comes from the exam. 20 % comes from this CA. 0 % on the CA, 50 % on the exam should then be = 40 + 0 = 40.

It would have been possible to compensate, but I got a total of 31 % (that is, I got 39 % on the exam) :( Otherwise I would have done it, I don't think it's possible when you're that far away.

80 % of the grade comes from the exam. 20 % comes from this CA. 0 % on the CA, 50 % on the exam should then be = 40 + 0 = 40.

It would have been possible to compensate, but I got a total of 31 % (that is, I got 39 % on the exam) :( Otherwise I would have done it, I don't think it's possible when you're that far away.

To be able to pass a module by compensation you need 20% (I think, might be 25%) overall, so it might be possible with 31%. What were your other marks like?

Of course, I'm not sure whether you can pass that particular module by compensation. When I did economics in first year there were certain modules you couldn't. Might be worth asking in the department?

Edit: I just noticed that my username is short hand for Cumman na Gaedheal! o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

If you have to get 50% overall for that module and there's 0% CA then you'd have to get 62.5% in the actual exam and that would be worth 50% overall. If you intend to carry on the subject next year you have to get 35% on average for that particular subject and including your other modules you'd have to average 40% in the rest to pass by compensation although depending on your course you might not be able to compensate, looked at ac102 and you can't compensate for that but it doesn't say anything about ac101 so if you do well enough in ac102 you might be able too.

Is it 25 %? Hm, that number sounds familiar actually... I thought it was 32 %, but you may very well be right.

I got 65, 59, 64 in my other courses, but my lecturer told me you can only compensate with other accounting courses. Well, I got two more of those and I'm doing well so far. I had a fifth course, Organizational behaviour, but that exam was postponed and I already had flight tickets booked, so I decided to do it in august. I expect somewhere in the high 60's though :)

/John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

CnaG wrote: »

You hadn't realised that before?

Ataxia wrote: »
    You hadn't realised that before?

No, it's my one and only nickname... :rolleyes:

No, I don't have to get 50 % for the module, I have to get 40 % overall, and since I lost 20 % on the CA (the CA was worth 20 %), I figure I must get 50 % on the exam which will give me 40 % overall. Now, I didn't get that, so if I can't compensate through the other accounting courses I'm doing (AC102 and AC103), then I have to repeat in august I suppose.

Anyway, I got 31 % overall in AC101. Does this mean that if I get 45 % in AC102 and AC103, I'm fine? No repeat exam? I'll aim a bit higher, but accounting just isn't my thing.

And since I'm a finance and economics student, I think I'm stuck with at least a few accounting courses next year as well.

No, I don't have to get 50 % for the module, I have to get 40 % overall, and since I lost 20 % on the CA (the CA was worth 20 %), I figure I must get 50 % on the exam which will give me 40 % overall. Now, I didn't get that, so if I can't compensate through the other accounting courses I'm doing (AC102 and AC103), then I have to repeat in august I suppose.

Anyway, I got 31 % overall in AC101. Does this mean that if I get 45 % in AC102 and AC103, I'm fine? No repeat exam? I'll aim a bit higher, but accounting just isn't my thing.

And since I'm a finance and economics student, I think I'm stuck with at least a few accounting courses next year as well.
    That would work out at 40.3% on average so it should be fine but you should email your lecturer to be certain, sooner rather then later.

Will do. Can you contact them over the break? Or do I have to wait until monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Did you actually lose the whole 20% of the CA? Like not hand it in or something? Maybe you have a few percent from that too?

Didn't hand in. My very own fault!:( Had parts of it done but fell asleep and woke up after deadline :(

/John

Will do. Can you contact them over the break? Or do I have to wait until monday?
    No need too wait email away.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

CnaG wrote: »

I assumed it was Conradh na Gaeilge!

• Advertisement

At times like this I hate that I'm not an active Irish speaker since the LC and have forgotten most of the language :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement