Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

mickstupp wrote: »
    I'm jealous of first years and their first day in college. That was a really great day for me. First step in a new life. Kinda like when you hear someone's watching one of your favorite movies for the very first time, and you wish you could have that experience again too.

I just had my first day in UCD doing my MA. Honestly, after four years in Maynooth, it's a tough transition...

I miss NUIM :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

ComaWhite wrote: »
    I just had my first day in UCD doing my MA. Honestly, after four years in Maynooth, it's a tough transition...

I miss NUIM :(

I considered going to UCD for my MA, but I heard so many stories about it being big, impersonal, and an adminstrative mess that I came back here instead. I guess I'll never know now...good luck with it, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

I've been up here since Sunday and my orientation's not till tomorrow.. the highlight so far was going to a Computer Science Arts talk with 5 people in it.. including the lecturer! :D

Group 9 for orientation anyone? :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Gah, really starting to stress about books and the price of them now! :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

First year, registered today... had a look at the online timetable service... not a fúckin' clue what the deal is, it's not making sense at all. I thought we'd be given some sort of guidance but it seems like we've been left to ourselves to figure out the whole timetable system? Boooooooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

What's the problem? Pm me if you need help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

What's the problem? Pm me if you need help :)

Well... it just doesn't make sense. One of my English modules (EN150) is not in the particular drop-down list I'm given, after I select Arts 1. Nevertheless, I went ahead, and I just picked the same modules twice (excluding the non-existant EN150, of course) and it gave me two completely different timetables. I don't seem to be able to get a comprehensive timetable. I tried the 'student' section and it told me my timetable isn't available, so do I just have to shut up and be patient? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Well... it just doesn't make sense. One of my English modules (EN150) is not in the particular drop-down list I'm given, after I select Arts 1. Nevertheless, I went ahead, and I just picked the same modules twice (excluding the non-existant EN150, of course) and it gave me two completely different timetables. I don't seem to be able to get a comprehensive timetable. I tried the 'student' section and it told me my timetable isn't available, so do I just have to shut up and be patient? :P

I asked thsi Q in a different thread and aparently that module will be split up into separate, smaller groups, which is whya they don't have it on the timetable yet.

See it here

http://www.nuim.ie/courses/?Target=MODULE&Mode=VIEW&MODULE_CODE=EN150&YEAR=2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Any boardsies watching This is England 86? Shane Meadows is a genius, he's one of the few directors that can make you crap yourself laughing one second and switch the tone so that you're crying the next. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Any boardsies watching This is England 86? Shane Meadows is a genius, he's one of the few directors that can make you crap yourself laughing one second and switch the tone so that you're crying the next. Amazing stuff.

I missed the start of it so thought "ah it's grand I'll just watch it on E4+1". Yeah it was on Channel 4... -_-

• Advertisement

You won't be able to get a time table online until you'll actually registered your classes in the registration office. Have you done that yet?

The other poster is right in saying that that module has been split. I did it 3 years ago while is was still just one module but because of the size of the classes it had to be divided up. Afaik it's also more like a tutorial than a lecture (but I'm open to correction on this :)) so everyone will have a different time to go to it, one which fits in around the rest of your classes.

Hope that helps, if you've anything else then feel free to ask :)

chillian17 wrote: »
    I missed the start of it so thought "ah it's grand I'll just watch it on E4+1". Yeah it was on Channel 4... -_-

Ah the benefits of the auld magic recorder box, never have to worry about such things. Series record button I love you :)

chillian17 wrote: »

That is just like you, Cillian

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

That is just like you, Cillian

:pac:

Haw haw haw :pac: Stay in France, you :D

Speaking of which, how's that going?

Oh yeah, and Leixlip, I'll just watch it on 4od, it'll be cool :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Hahaha, I'm a bit bemused here. I registered, haven't paid fees yet but I will within the week. Haven't got any post from the college at all??

Going into second arts, and haven't heard a peep apart from the registration emails. Orientation is this week, lectures start next week??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Orientation is this week, lectures start next week??
    Indeed you're right.

The other poster is right in saying that that module has been split. I did it 3 years ago while is was still just one module but because of the size of the classes it had to be divided up. Afaik it's also more like a tutorial than a lecture (but I'm open to correction on this :)) so everyone will have a different time to go to it, one which fits in around the rest of your classes.

Hope that helps, if you've anything else then feel free to ask :)
    Ya EN150 is a series of 'seminars'...basically a fancy name for tutorials. You get a choice of times to choose from and you'll be in a class of around 15. There was no exam in this module last year, just an essay near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's 10:17 and already there's annopem can of beer on the toilets. Must be orientation week...

Banquo, you're a gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Hahaha, I'm a bit bemused here. I registered, haven't paid fees yet but I will within the week. Haven't got any post from the college at all??

Going into second arts, and haven't heard a peep apart from the registration emails. Orientation is this week, lectures start next week??

Oui, as you probably know they like to save on paper. I think the only thing I got on paper last year were my exam results haha.

Oui, as you probably know they like to save on paper. I think the only thing I got on paper last year were my exam results haha.

I'm all about sustainability, I just also like knowing when I'm in college :p

• Advertisement

Man, they really could have done up the jacks in Arts Block with all the work they done in there, such a **** hole. Why could that and the canteen have burned down?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yeah, they're pretty bad.

/makes note

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

We've had discussions about the toilets on campus before and I can remember the consensus was that the toilets on the 1st floor in John Hume are the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭the_observer

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Man, they really could have done up the jacks in Arts Block with all the work they done in there, such a **** hole. Why could that and the canteen have burned down?

Agreed, but the graffiti in there was sometimes quite funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭the_observer

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    We've had discussions about the toilets on campus before and I can remember the consensus was that the toilets on the 1st floor in John Hume are the best.

They are, stall doors are insanely squeaky as you close them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The toilets on the 1st floor in JH are the best and nearly always deserted as well, not sure if many people actually know they are there. The ground floor toilets in JH are good at the start of the day and then go quickly downhill. The only reason to go into the Arts Block's toilets is to read the graffiti.

The toilets in JH are getting into a pretty bad state too though. Nothing compared to DCU though, some of the toilets there are in an inhumane state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Was just wondering if anyone knows what's going on with the parking thing yet? Are they issuing permits, is it paid parking yet or is it still free?

It's still free, you'll get an email when they start charging. Think it's all dependant on when that roundabout is built in front of new campus entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 MaynoothSU

We'll let you know as soon as all the kinks are worked out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement