Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

amyputz wrote: »
    When I said boring, what I meant to say was aggravating =P Nothing to do with me, just my sisters fighting with each other, my parents shouting at my sisters, my sisters huffing...and me and my tiniest sister just stuck in the middle of it all going "head shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes" :P

Many a conflict was won by heads shoulders knees and toes. Have you never read hitlers secret memoirs? Apparently his ipod was stuck on a continuous loop of it, and that's what finally finished him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

For six years of secondary school I longed for the weekend. In college, I dread it.

I keep busy doing menial tasks like assignments...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rafcam

I'd much rather spend the weekends in Maynooth. There's far too much drama at home, I can't stand it. The only reason I go home is to see the boyfriend. But at this rate it's gonna be a lot less often :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

We haven't had TV or internet for the past 3 weeks so I've had to trek home for my sanity...

Tv OR internet?! Woah! We have no Tv but we have Internet so I'm good. I have to stay in college to keep my sanity! haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

Yup we don't have both. We've resorted to watching all the Father Ted episodes over and over, but not to worry the upc man is coming on Tuesday! :D

By golly, I would've lost my mind by now! Fair play to you. Ahaha you can't beat a bit of Father Ted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

It's amazing how the time just flitters away at weekends and I don't get anything done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's amazing how the time just flitters away at weekends and I don't get anything done!

You still have an entire day left :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Naw I go back up at 4 today cuz I have class at 9 tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement

I agree! I dunno where the weekend goes. I have 2 hours left until I have to leave and I have left everything until now! D:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

See this little thumbs-up thanks icon on individual posts? Is there a way to give anti-thanks to someone? You know, like "thumbs down, you nob head, I can't believe you'd post such drivel".

It's just that sometimes... actually maybe just a facepalm emoticon. That'd do. Is there one of those on this kind of message board?

EDIT: I should say, I'm curious because of some other thread... not this particular one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Unfortunately not, it has been asked for by others before, but it ain't going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Question, How do I get to lucan town from maynooth??

Any of the Dublin Buses that go from / through Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Eh, when was the new President elected? They kept that quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

He's just the interim pres :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

66 or 67A, if both arrive at the same time take the 66 it will get you there faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Howie365

Probably been covered before but I need some advice on laptops.

Not on buying laptops, I have a macbook that works perfectly and is probably second in importance to me, beaten only by my girlfriend. And it's a close battle tbh.

However, I see several huge pros of bringing a laptop into lectures:

- I type fast, in fairness, I write faster than most too but I type more efficiently, neater and with less mistakes.
    - Easier to find notes - At the moment I'm relying on a team of folders, plastic pocket things and A4 pads. Notes are all over the place already and I'm the most organised in my group. On my laptop I can organise folders for modules, with notes in clear and easy to find order.
    -Lecturer's notes. Pretty much all of my lecturers have asked for us to print off notes they put on moodle. However, these notes are huge at times and I dont have a printer meaning I have to pay somewhere and then put up with having to carry them around all the time. With the laptop I can download the notes and have them easily accessible at all times.
    -I do CSSE and in Programming, the lecturer builds programs on the projector and we scribble them down. However, I have an IDE on my laptop and so would prefer to actually be able to put the commands she is putting into her computer onto my computer and not take down a bunch of meaningless words. Plus, my handwriting is awful so it is hard to distinguish the little complexities in case and punctuation that Java requires.

Cons:

-There seems to be a stigma against people with laptops. I'm not too sure why but my friends constantly lambast the few who do use laptops in lectures. My friend is actively discouraging me from taking a laptop in.
    -Of the 10-20 that do use laptops in lectures, 99% are on facebook or playing games. I'd hate to be thrown in with the general consensus that laptop users are dossing as tbh, I'm the type who wouldnt open anything that could make noise as I'd be terrified the laptop will decide to screw me over and make random noises. I still don't trust my mobile phone and have to plug out the earphones for my mp3 as i dont trust that either.

Summary: Many pros of a laptop but afraid of looking silly by bringing one in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Haha that post really reminds me of /adv/ *coughs* >_>

If you think a laptop will be of use to you in lectures, than by all means bring it to class with you. Who gives a funk what everyone else thinks! Do what feels right for you. As for a stigma against people bringing laptops to class, haters gonna hate. With regards the random noises, just make sure you've the speakers muted before you go in and you'll be grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Howie365

:) thanks

sure I might as well give it a try anyway :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Howie365 wrote: »
    -Of the 10-20 that do use laptops in lectures, 99% are on facebook or playing games.

what an anchorman of a statistic haha.

Howie365 wrote: »
    - I type fast, in fairness, I write faster than most too but I type more efficiently, neater and with less mistakes.
    - Easier to find notes - At the moment I'm relying on a team of folders, plastic pocket things and A4 pads. Notes are all over the place already and I'm the most organised in my group. On my laptop I can organise folders for modules, with notes in clear and easy to find order.
    -Lecturer's notes. Pretty much all of my lecturers have asked for us to print off notes they put on moodle. However, these notes are huge at times and I dont have a printer meaning I have to pay somewhere and then put up with having to carry them around all the time. With the laptop I can download the notes and have them easily accessible at all times.
    -I do CSSE and in Programming, the lecturer builds programs on the projector and we scribble them down. However, I have an IDE on my laptop and so would prefer to actually be able to put the commands she is putting into her computer onto my computer and not take down a bunch of meaningless words. Plus, my handwriting is awful so it is hard to distinguish the little complexities in case and punctuation that Java requires.

Cons:

-There seems to be a stigma against people with laptops. I'm not too sure why but my friends constantly lambast the few who do use laptops in lectures. My friend is actively discouraging me from taking a laptop in.
    -Of the 10-20 that do use laptops in lectures, 99% are on facebook or playing games. I'd hate to be thrown in with the general consensus that laptop users are dossing as tbh, I'm the type who wouldnt open anything that could make noise as I'd be terrified the laptop will decide to screw me over and make random noises. I still don't trust my mobile phone and have to plug out the earphones for my mp3 as i dont trust that either.

Why are you looking for justification here? Just bring it if you want.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. I've been through the same stream you have and I was never asked to print out notes and bring them to class. Also regarding programming you should write out the code that is put up; I'm in 4th Year CSSE now and I have to write out problems (not necessarily code) on paper plenty of times in order to solve them before coding them.

Also you have to write source code on the exam, so get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 iWeeze

If you'll actually use it for notes, bring it in. If you use it for facebook, I will be sitting over your shoulder and making smart remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Why must my laptop continuously disconnect from the wireless when I'm in the library!

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Just wondering, does JH1 have any plugs anywhere? I bring in my laptop to use in the library, but can't use it in the lecture room as my battery only lasts 17 minutes.

Or, where's the cheapest place to find a new battery for a toshiba?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

getamac.jpg

But seriously. You might have to contact Toshiba.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

J.D.R wrote: »
    Just wondering, does JH1 have any plugs anywhere? I bring in my laptop to use in the library, but can't use it in the lecture room as my battery only lasts 17 minutes.

Or, where's the cheapest place to find a new battery for a toshiba?

You need to contact toshiba. If it's still under warantee you should get you battery for free, I know I did with my Dell.

You need to contact toshiba. If it's still under warantee you should get you battery for free, I know I did with my Dell.

It's nearly 2 years old, and can't find the warrinty card anywhere. I'll send them an email anyway, see if I can still get one off them.

And Banquo, I would love to get a mac, but I don't have 1500 to spend on a laptop. I barely have 80 to spend on a new battery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

WTF is up with Rhetoric House? As quiet as a church except for the automatic old-style door that catches on the floor and then closes with a bang. Strange place...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement