Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

The answer is augmented 2nd.....well probably

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

That tends to only be the answer to really annoying questions

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

banquo wrote: »
    That tends to only be the answer to really annoying questions

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I agree with LeixlipRed. Allowances for people must be given in such circumstances, its only fair. At least it is the decent thing to do in such conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Boards is soooo slow! I blame the snow.

Did anyone go to the IMF debate earlier? I could literally listen to Kieran Allen talk all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Hmmmmmm......Spurious was far more lenient then I would have been.

amyputz wrote: »
    Trying to motivate myself to get up and make a sandwich...Where's the man when you need him :rolleyes:

It's not even funny how tired I am! I've been spending the last 20 minutes trying to figure out musical intervals, it's just not working :( Why won't they make sense in my brain!!!

Email me if you have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Email me if you have problems.

Thanks, it's more something I just have to make click in my head y'know?

Was going to the roost with the german dept, and these ****ers on the roof were throwing snowballs at everyone. One really big heavy one hit me on the head. I tell you, if I ever find out who they are...How ****ing stupid can someone be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

There's certainly a ****e load of nobs with snowballs. I've had a good few throwing them at my back. For Christ sake, show a bit of proper balls and let me see you throw it!

Even more disgusting was the group of knackers I saw at Manor mills pegging them across the street at people, even a Mother and her child (a toddler) with THEIR BACKS TURNED.

What kind of mentality do they have?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Boards is soooo slow! I blame the snow.

Did anyone go to the IMF debate earlier? I could literally listen to Kieran Allen talk all day.

I went along. Had to go physio at 7 so missed the actually debating. Our great and glorious leader kicked ass anyway in the opening statements. Great turnout too, about 200 people. Considering the weather that was pretty amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Can anybody in the SU find out if lectures/tutorials will be cancelled today, or if the University will be closed?

The weather is very bad in surrounding areas such as Meath/Kildare/Dublin, and in typical fashion, NUIM has not come out with a definitive statement, on the website or email, to inform students if the University will be open.

Many thanks!

• Advertisement

There's certainly a ****e load of nobs with snowballs. I've had a good few throwing them at my back. For Christ sake, show a bit of proper balls and let me see you throw it!

Even more disgusting was the group of knackers I saw at Manor mills pegging them across the street at people, even a Mother and her child (a toddler) with THEIR BACKS TURNED.

What kind of mentality do they have?!

Yeah, I didn't see it coming at all...Pieces of ****, the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

A heads up the road by the GAA is even more deadly than yesterday.

College happening as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Liber8or wrote: »
    Can anybody in the SU find out if lectures/tutorials will be cancelled today, or if the University will be closed?

The weather is very bad in surrounding areas such as Meath/Kildare/Dublin, and in typical fashion, NUIM has not come out with a definitive statement, on the website or email, to inform students if the University will be open.

Many thanks!

It's really up to individual departments as to whether their classes are going ahead, the College generally only closes under extreme circumstances. A volcano, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I vote Banquo informs college a volcano has erupted in Leixlip

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

banquo wrote: »
    It's really up to individual departments as to whether their classes are going ahead, the College generally only closes under extreme circumstances. A volcano, for example.

Well seeing as they postponed exams in January for the last few flakes of snow, I thought they really would be all over this one.

The foot paths aren't even gritted, let alone the roads cleared.
    It might be considered a bit dangerous... just a bit...

I don't see what the big deal is... It's only a bit of snow! And ice :P I get why exams last January were postponed, because exams are important and you can't really miss them, but lecture slides and stuff are usually on moodle.

Edit: as I see on the SU fb page, someone at college has the exact same name as me. I was like WTF at first when I saw the notification :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I had a lecture and lab cancelled today because the lecturer couldn't make it in. UCD has closed the campus from 2pm today I think.
    They really could do with sending an email out to everyone explaining how bloody dangerous the roads and footpaths are on campus.

I had a lecture cancelled today cuz my lecturer got sick :( (i.e. hungover from last night out with us =D)

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I had a lecture and lab cancelled today because the lecturer couldn't make it in. UCD has closed the campus from 2pm today I think.
    They really could do with sending an email out to everyone explaining how bloody dangerous the roads and footpaths are on campus.

So it's dangerous for you to get around but you wanted library staff to stay till 10? :confused: The response of college to what is now an annual event is frightening. No paths or roads gritted. Complete joke.

Fell off my bike last night and have a huge bruise on my bum and hip :( No more cycling in snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

In fairness, the south campus looks awesome in the snow

• Advertisement

That it does. I love snow.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    So it's dangerous for you to get around but you wanted library staff to stay till 10? :confused:
    Of course it's dangerous but I've still gone just like the majority of students and lecturers. I'm pi**ed off because the library staff have gotten more attention than the entire student population. They have time to send out emails saying the library will be closing early but they can't be bothered to advise students of the worsening conditions on the college grounds, you'd swear they couldn't give a toss about us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

I don't see what the big deal is... It's only a bit of snow! And ice :P I get why exams last January were postponed, because exams are important and you can't really miss them, but lecture slides and stuff are usually on moodle.

Edit: as I see on the SU fb page, someone at college has the exact same name as me. I was like WTF at first when I saw the notification :pac:

Lecture aren't a big deal,
    Labs are. Miss a certain number without explanation (Doctors Note) and it can result in an automatic failure (Although this rule is applied leniently by some lecturers and departments, others aren't so forgiving).

Labs are important to help understand the material anyway, so I'd rather not miss one.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Of course it's dangerous but I've still gone just like the majority of students and lecturers. I'm pi**ed off because the library staff have gotten more attention than the entire student population. They have time to send out emails saying the library will be closing early but they can't be bothered to advise students of the worsening conditions on the college grounds, you'd swear they couldn't give a toss about us!!

They don't give a toss. Think that much is clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'm officially over the snow now. Haven't been to college for two days now because of it, missing my important Geography tutorial today and lacking the Library's resources for an essay I have to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

Daemos wrote: »
    I'm officially over the snow now. Haven't been to college for two days now because of it, missing my important Geography tutorial today and lacking the Library's resources for an essay I have to do :(

If this were Facebook, I'll "like" this, so a "Thanks" would have to do!

I've also missed two days, including a History tutorial and both of my attendance-monitoring seminars in one of my other modules. I've sent them all e-mails to explain how the only bus service that can get me to Maynooth has been cancelled, so I hope I don't end up losing a slice of my final grade over it. I've had my fun, I've walked in and threw about some of the heavy snow, but I really need to get back in to campus and get some work done. It's not looking good for tomorrow, though, with more snow on the way, so it's starting to get a bit bothersome. :(

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Lecture aren't a big deal,
    Labs are. Miss a certain number without explanation (Doctors Note) and it can result in an automatic failure (Although this rule is applied leniently by some lecturers and departments, others aren't so forgiving).

Labs are important to help understand the material anyway, so I'd rather not miss one.
    I know, I have seminars and lectures which are marked on attendance too. Maybe the lecturers/tutors won't mark people down for missing things like that because of the weather? I think that would be a good idea.

Better late than never I guess:
    Dear Students,

The current weather conditions are being monitored by the University on a continuing basis. The effect on public transport to Maynooth is minimal at present and in these circumstances the University will remain open. It is acknowledged that some individual staff and students will have difficulty accessing the University. Students unable to attend compulsory elements should advise their relevant departments by email.

Currently the library is closing at 6 pm daily and a number of departments have curtailed evening classes.

Grounds staff and contractors are monitoring the grounds and doing their utmost to maintain access to buildings and priority areas.

Departments will by and large, continue to operate as usual, but differing circumstances may mean that individual departments may have to cancel or reschedule activities. Students should check their email/ Moodle for any such cancellation.

We will keep the situation under ongoing review and if there is any change we will notify all staff and students through email and the University web site.

Yours sincerely,

David Redmond

Registrar

Monitoring the ground isn't going to be much help...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Exam timetable is out! Uh Oh....
    http://examinations.nuim.ie/timetables.shtml

• Advertisement

^ I just posted a thread about that :p

I hate essays. Why is there so many to do this semester? *cries*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement