Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Haha, brilliant. It's only a Holy Day when it doesn't get in the way. Fecking Catholics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

We still have College tomorrow even though it's a holy day right?!
    My friend heard that we don't but he's the only one that I've heard that off!

We've never had a day off for any holy days (in Catholicism) bar Christmas and Easter at least as I thought?

We didn't get off for All Saints Day (Nov 1st) either. I guess because holiday has long since been divorced from "holy-day".
    LeixlipRed wrote:
    Holy Day? Man, I wish I was in primary school still frown.gif

Excuse my ignorance but did they actually give you a day off for December 8th in RCC primary schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Jakkass wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but did they actually give you a day off for December 8th in RCC primary schools?

Yup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Can't believe that Example is playing in the SU in February. This better not be some sick joke haha.

A huge improvement on having S-Club 3 or The Venga Boys again anyway.

Yeh, they did. Loads of them every year. Brilliant it was!

• Advertisement

Can't believe that Example is playing in the SU in February. This better not be some sick joke haha.

A huge improvement on having S-Club 3 or The Venga Boys again anyway.

I would come home to see them! :D

Yup :)
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Yeh, they did. Loads of them every year. Brilliant it was!

I missed out on a great childhood clearly! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Not a joke. Example are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

banquo wrote: »
    Not a joke. Example are playing.

Brilliant. Any idea when the tickets will be going on sale? I presume the week we come back after the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

We've never had a day off for any holy days (in Catholicism) bar Christmas and Easter at least as I thought?

Yeah we got off on all the days on that calendar in primary, I also did in secondary :P

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Any idea when the tickets will be going on sale? I presume the week we come back after the exams

Don't have a sale date yet as far as I know. You'll know when I do! :)

Convenient timing for clubs & socs council this Thursday. Couldn't make it up if you tried.

''third-level registration fees will be increased to €2,000 annually. Families with more than one child in college will pay a reduced fee of €1500 for the second and subsequent children.''

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The December 8th day off was great as it was the day after my birthday so it always felt like a present. They stopped doing it before I finished primary school if I remember correctly.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

We didn't get off for All Saints Day (Nov 1st) either. I guess because holiday has long since been divorced from "holy-day".

We got most of those days off,
    and as an added Bonus, if you lived in Naas or the surrounding area you got the week off school (Both in Primary and Secondary) for the Punchestown Irish National Hunt Festival.

Which is practically a holy week in Naas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Does anyone know if the non adjacent grant changes is being brought in as 45km each way or return :confused:

ontour wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the non adjacent grant changes is being brought in as 45km each way or return :confused:

I think its neither,
    Its the distance from your house to the university as the crow flies, (A straight line).

Nothing to do with road distance or journey times or even the availability of public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    I think its neither,
    Its the distance from your house to the university as the crow flies, (A straight line).

Nothing to do with road distance or journey times or even the availability of public transport.

Seriously? Bad news for me if this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Im 42kms one way :/ how do I find out what distances they'd be using... very very bad news for me :( Also will I get the rest of my cant or just the remainder now for the rest of this year? I was due 1080 in Jan or Feb

• Advertisement

ontour wrote: »
    Im 42kms one way :/ how do I find out what distances they'd be using... very very bad news for me :( Also will I get the rest of my cant or just the remainder now for the rest of this year? I was due 1080 in Jan or Feb

According to the Budget:
    Student Support Scheme - 4% reduction in rates of
    grant, consistent with the % reduction in all DSP
    working-age payments; limit mature students benefits
    to those payable to ordinary students; and reduce
    proportion of students qualifying for the non-adjacent
    rate by changing qualifying criteria from 24km to
    45km.
    from
    Summary of
    2011 Budget Measures - (Policy Changes) (PDF)

I'm not sure what the story is with when this cut will apply...
    Its not good for a lot of Maynooth Students.

I only got accepted for the grant there last week, it said at the top of the letter that any changes in the budget wrt the grant come into effect in Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Can someone tell me where Room 61 is please?

along by the swimming pool in the building opposite rhetoric house.

and as an added Bonus, if you lived in Naas or the surrounding area you got the week off school (Both in Primary and Secondary) for the Punchestown Irish National Hunt Festival.

There must have been a limited amount of days that schools can be allowed to take off though?

I guess we must have taken off days extra at other parts of the year to make up for these? (I went to CofI schools)

There must have been a limited amount of days that schools can be allowed to take off though?

I guess we must have taken off days extra at other parts of the year to make up for these? (I went to CofI schools)

Yeah you're right, every school has to take the same amount of days off. It's like only two hundred and something days we spend in school a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

I enjoyed this in Primary and Secondary school. Though the Department have been chipping away at it the whole time. I used to get a week off in Primary school, but by the time I got to Sixth Year, we were only getting two days. Though they often...conveniently...scheduled a staff meeting to give us three days.

I'm not sure when we made these days back. I think it was at the end of the year, before the exams in Secondary. Still, it was a nice pre/post-Easter break. :pac:

A Changer wrote: »
    I enjoyed this in Primary and Secondary school. Though the Department have been chipping away at it the whole time. I used to get a week off in Primary school, but by the time I got to Sixth Year, we were only getting two days. Though they often...conveniently...scheduled a staff meeting to give us three days.

I'm not sure when we made these days back. I think it was at the end of the year, before the exams in Secondary. Still, it was a nice pre/post-Easter break. :pac:

A Staff Meeting actually counts as a day in School according to the Department of Education.
    amyputz wrote: »
    Yeah you're right, every school has to take the same amount of days off. It's like only two hundred and something days we spend in school a year.

No, they don't have to take the same number of days off, but they have to meet the minimum number of days that the school has to be open.

Doubtful, Again, Schools like to have a number of days they can close in reserve in case of... I don't know... snow... just in case. And not All RCC schools will take every holy day off, but you get the majority off in some.

So the scared week of Punchestown Races was generally the whole week when I was younger, but as I got older and the rules changed with regards to the number of days schools could close for things like holy weeks/horse racing, so they had to scale it back to a lean 2-3 days.

Which was treble, as one of my Maths Teachers put it "How else are you going to learn about probability?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

College is stressful and overwhelming ;_; and I really should know that by now, I'm in fourth third year ffs!!

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

College is stressful and overwhelming ;_; and I really should know that by now, I'm in fourth third year ffs!!

:(:(
    Tell me about it. I should be writing an essay, but my brain is in "couldn't give a sh1t" mode. Time to snap out if it methinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement