Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

The guy wrote: »
    It was alright, the tardis was made into an actual woman, seriously.

And it really worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Does anyone know if you can be passed by compensation for Psychology, not to get into 2nd year psychology, but just to get into 2nd full stop like?

Just I'm planning on dropping it, but was wondering if I need to pass outright, or can I compensate from my other modules? =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Accidentally put soap on my toothbrush instead of toothpaste, darn you sleepy head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Does anyone know if you can be passed by compensation for Psychology, not to get into 2nd year psychology, but just to get into 2nd full stop like?

Just I'm planning on dropping it, but was wondering if I need to pass outright, or can I compensate from my other modules? =)

Yes I did that in first year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Is the NUIM gym open all summer ? Is it still free for NUIM students ?

• Advertisement

Yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Summer begins...and too much time on hands already *begins filing notes out of boredom*

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

From what I understand, your grade is somewhat relative to your position in class.

If you're in the top 25 %, what grade then should you get? I'm just looking for a range.

Somebody wasn't paying attention in maths class ;) Your grade is no indicator of position in class. To know your position in the class you need to know your own score, the average score in the class and the standard deviation of all scores in the class, then you can compute a percentile, i.e. a percentage of people whose score is worse than yours.

Yes, obviously. But I have heard something about a "rule of thumb" for the number of people who receive 1st class, 2.1 etc? So if you're in the top 25 %, what would that indicate?

• Advertisement

Well what if the average mark is 42 with a small standard deviation? Very unlikely anyone got a first. Whereas if the average is 66 and you have a large sd then a lot of people will get firsts. Revise your first year data analysis module. Also revise mathematics in general before you enter the financial domain and begin to invest our pensions please ;)

Anyway, I'm only winding you up, I assume you mean are the number of firsts, etc, set by the department and the results fiddled with to achieve these. I've never witnessed this in the maths dept but I know substantial negotiations take place at exam board level around swing grades. i.e. people who lie close to the threshold between two different types of grade. So, yes, the exam board can influence such things but it's unlikely your own department is without being a bit unethical. Grade inflation, nah, never :P

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

ouch ouch, wisdom teeth, ouch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Is the NUIM gym open all summer ? Is it still free for NUIM students ?

How much does it cost for non-students of NUIM during the summer months?

To be honest you can use it for free. No one gives a **** anymore. If you want a tour of the place let me know and I can show you around. It's more catered towards weight lifting though, if you're interested in doing cardio the equipment is sub-standard. But fine for lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    If you want a tour of the place let me know and I can show you around.

Thanks LeixlipRed that would be awesome.

Check your PM's.

Just been asked to work during orientation week... Muahahahahahaha first years under my power! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Would anyone know where, in Dublin or Drogheda, I might be able to sell a bunch of books I'll never open again? I can probably ditch quite a few to Chapters. But some of my books have that see-through protective plastic stuff on them, and they said they won't take those. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

You could try selling them on adverts or ebay maybe?

Am I the only one who gets the impression very few teachers actually like to teach? You get a PhD so you can do research, not so you can teach at college. Most of them aren't interested in teaching, they are interested in research and try to minimise the time they have spend teaching/correcting assignments etc. Hence the lack of intellectually challenging tasks.

That's what happens in the world of "publish or perish". The quality of the teaching is allowed to suffer so that teachers can write more research papers.

I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with both my degree and most of all the university. I came here with a passion for economics, and when I leave, I just might have a degree in it, but the passion will be long gone. And I'll miss it.

Okay, I'm done ranting.

• Advertisement

Losing a passion for economics is a fantastic end product for a degree I reckon ;)

I don't think that's true at all. Most of the lecturers I've had over the last four years have been clearly passionate about teaching and the challenge of imparting their knowledge of the subject to students. Having a PhD doesn't automatically mean you have to lecture you know - I imagine most people who have PhDs don't.

I'm not so sure, Your Text Here. I'm happy your college experience has been better than mine, I get the impression the impression teachers just want to get over with it as quickly as possible so they can return to the lab. Publish or perish, you know. There are tenure positions in play here.

I don't know; I really have found the opposite to what you describe. You can't expect the lecturers to be the be-all-and-end-all of your college learning experience though. If you've lost the passion for economics, then it really can't be just all down to them. Maybe you've just seen a different side to it now you're studying it and it just isn't as interesting for you any more?

Your text here, what you are writing is correct - the teachers aren't alone responsible for the college experience. Let me be precise: The one thing I hate the most about my degree is the lack of essays, and the overflow of MCQs. Essays are the way to go when examining students, you actually have to put in an effort to do well. And economists write essays, reports, prognoses etc all the time, so having to write a few essays during an economics degree would make perfect sense. How many times do you have to do an MCQ in real life? Will your boss ever give you four alternatives to a question and ask you to guess the right one?

No, but MCQs can be corrected by computers, so they don't take as long time as essays do. Sure, we get students who don't know how to do anything else than guess themselves to the right answers, but the teachers get some more time over they can use for research, so they don't "perish".

There are going to be many people graduating with a 2.1 who will try to do a master's, who have never written an essay during their entire undergraduate degree. And then, they suddenly have to write a 20,000 words something master's thesis. It's laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Just been asked to work during orientation week... Muahahahahahaha first years under my power! ;)

Animal! How'd you swing that one?

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Animal! How'd you swing that one?

Just got a phone call from the Mary's in the SU, they knew me from all the scoiety/club stuff :D
    I'm sure if you email or ring them and offer they'd give it to you :p

I've just spent the last little while looking at these 360 degree picture yokes, they're so pretty! Especially the footbridge in the snow :3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

God I love Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AdmaialNimitz

banquo wrote: »
    God I love Sundays.

Will you PLEASE send me that reference?! If I dont get it in by tomorrow I dont get it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement