Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I had McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Last day moonlighting in the Phil Lynott Exhibition today... Bitter-sweet feeling.

This mean you are back in Maynooth today?
    lolcat.jpghttp:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Going back to Ireland in 13 days... can't wait! :) Have had a really boring summer, I miss all the people.

Am I the only one who's studying during the summer? You know, to get a head start and to be able to make a good first impression on lecturers :) I've been doing it mostly to pass the time though. Got most of the textbooks for next year already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Have you figured out why capitalism is failing? Or still a work in progress? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Wendero wrote: »
    Going back to Ireland in 13 days... can't wait! :) Have had a really boring summer, I miss all the people.

Am I the only one who's studying during the summer? You know, to get a head start and to be able to make a good first impression on lecturers :) I've been doing it mostly to pass the time though. Got most of the textbooks for next year already.

Probably tbh!

I'm working this summer as part of my work experience but normally i dedicate summer to the sleep I lost during college!

Also, I can never study stuff that I haven't gone through in class yet. i find that I just confuse myself when i get to class and the lecturer decides to take a different angle to or has a different opinion to what I've been studying!

Leixlipred, indeed I have. Check it out: http://www.rightspeak.net/2011/07/is-capitalism-politically-sustainable.html

You may not like the conclusion :P

XxMCRxBabyxX, I do understand what you mean. Personally, I sort of assume that if a teacher picks a textbook as the core textbook of the module, then he/she will be teaching the same perspective the textbook has. I asked the teachers what textbooks we'd be using before I actually bought any, so as long as they agree with the textbooks they themselves recommend, I should be fine :) If there's no core textbook on the other hand, I understand it's way harder.

Conservatives, lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Hmm, perhaps they should fire all of the teachers then and just give the students textbooks,
    or better yet, get the students to buy the text book so the college saves money.
    Then they can pay off some 'honest' politician to expand and build more room for the finance department's coffee room.

Norrdeth, don't give them any ideas ;)

Nope, textbooks can't replace teachers :) But they're a great compliment and reading them over the summer means you can make a good impression on said teachers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I think politics should be forgotten and the world should have a gigantic tea party :D too much stress going on, I'd much rather be a simple animal! They don't know how good they got it :D

EDIT: Ah pain meds, how I love you :P

Exactly, because we're not here to educate ourselves, we're here to impress people so same people will get us jobs. And hence the "conservative" circle is closed. How do you stand going to Maynooth? It's full of dirty lefties and liberals :D

I think politics should be forgotten and the world should have a gigantic tea party :D

Ehh, not the best choice of party at the moment.

Eh, Norrdeth, next you'll be telling me the world isn't 6,000 years old? What's your agenda? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Nope, textbooks can't replace teachers :)
    That really depends on the teacher... I could name a few...

Leixlipred, it's the same at every university. Academia is more left-winged than the real world.

Mickstupp, I could name a few as well - but please don't, the moderators don't like that. Also it's not a very nice thing to do, attacking people anonymously on the internet. If you have an issue with a lecturer, go talk to them about it.

I don't mean academia. I mean the student populace. Sarah Palin probably has some university you can go to. Sure she'd be eager to be impressed with your economic policies ;) Ah I jest, where would the fun be if everyone agreed on everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Mickstupp, I could name a few as well - but please don't, the moderators don't like that.
    Wouldn't dream of it. But if you could name a few too, then you'll agree that some lecturers can indeed be replaced by textbooks.
    If you have an issue with a lecturer, go talk to them about it.
    Sometimes that makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, other than to get yourself into trouble. Experience has taught that it's often better to keep the head down and the mouth shut, than to rely on the professionalism of unprofessional people. People take things personally when they shouldn't. Other people refuse to take any complaints seriously unless you're either their boss or their direct peer. Some people will refuse to hear anything bad said about them or their staff. Whether it's an IT company or a university... same s*** different day.

In saying that, most lecturers are the bees knees. All of the ones I've spoken to are incredibly nice people. Doesn't change the fact that some lecturers are entirely superfluous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    How do you stand going to Maynooth? It's full of dirty lefties and liberals :D

the bain of many of my smoking area economics debates, 'youll all see when your finished' is a good argument thus far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Why oh why do I never learn...don't mix your drinks kids!

Christ I'm glad the morning's over :P

• Advertisement

Just got the bill for my MA, jeeze the bank isn't gonna like me :(

Your MA gave me a bill last night too :pac:

Sorry, just couldn't resist :D

Hua, hua, hua =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

what ma are you doing? did you not know the price before hand?The music tech one is crazy expensive

wonton wrote: »
    what ma are you doing?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Composition = about 4700 in total.
    Looks like a loan is likely, still hoping for some kind of grant!

Rang KCC, one month before find out about grant. The days of having funding seem so long ago and blurry. Think I'll get a loan anyway. Just so I don't need to teach much for my final year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Composition = about 4700 in total.
    Looks like a loan is likely, still hoping for some kind of grant!

ah right , I thought you were doing some media thing in trinity or something. you have to pay another 2 grand on top of that for reg(or what ever bull name they changed it too, i think its "magic student happpy supper fun fee")

I thought you might have looked at going abroad, im thinking of applying to sweden for the craic..........................and low costs...................and for the swedish wimmins

And for swedish wimmins.

• Advertisement

wonton wrote: »
    ah right , I thought you were doing some media thing in trinity or something. you have to pay another 2 grand on top of that for reg(or what ever bull name they changed it too, i think its "magic student happpy supper fun fee")

I thought you might have looked at going abroad, im thinking of applying to sweden for the craic..........................and low costs

Yeah I was going to do MMT in Trinity but changed my mind in favour of pure composition with Jesse,
    might do MMT in the future if I can afford it. Seems like a pretty interesting course.
    No, Reg is included as far as I gather, as it says that it's €0.00.

I was thinking of going back to CZ but thought a masters in Czech would have melted my brain.
    So going to study in the language that I properly understand, with a good teacher!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement