Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can anyone tell me for definite if I can split my credits unevenly in semester 1 and 2? Academic Advisory office said it was no problem just take onto account it will be extra work but the registrars office said I could only have 2.5 credits more in one semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

might depend on the department, I know for music(3rd year anyway) the credit weighing doesnt matter, infact its set up in a way that will probably be uneven because all the compulsory are in the first semester so unless you choose all your optional modules in the second semester its pretty the first will be quite busier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

wonton wrote: »
    what ma are you doing? did you not know the price before hand?The music tech one is crazy expensive

Actually the Music Tech one is the cheapest of all Music Dept. postgraduate sthtuff.

It comes under the EU skills conversion programme, so the MA costs about e2,500 I think? Unless that's just the HDip in Music Tech. Either way it's basically the same course, with the option to upgrade if you're doing well enough.

Normally it's about e9,000

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Anyone else having the same problems with paying first instalment of Campus rent online?? Worked fine for the deposit but now, grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Not normally that high. €9000, in Maynooth, at least, is above average for most Arts and Social science postgrads. Science and Engineering are higher, though. Strange.
    The schedule of fees is here, anyways, so you can see for yourself!

• Advertisement

aaah I see now, I didnt notice the little star things at the side, jaysus though its rare that when you read see a little * beside something on a price list does it say at the bottom you only have to pay a 3rd of it, must be a great feeling for anyone noticing that if you are actually going to do the course

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KingKazama

Anyone else having the same problems with paying first instalment of Campus rent online?? Worked fine for the deposit but now, grr.

Had the same problem. I just kept trying and it eventually went through. Took four attempts but eventually worked:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

'Lo, all!

I was having a chat with some others going into second year in MH114, and doubts regarding my understanding of how electives work came as a result. Y'see, I do History as a minor subject to English, and figured I had a choice of twelve/thirteen elective modules per semester that were listed under the Major/Minor section of the History Undergraduate Handbook. However, I got linked to this page, which, under the Year Two History option, has designated four History electives for us, alongside the two compulsory modules.

So, what I'm wondering is, since I'm doing the BA English degree as opposed to the Arts degree, do I not get a choice regarding my electives in my minor subject? Is the list of electives in the History Undergraduate Handbook under the Major/Minor page only for Arts students? Or are the modules picked on my Course page just placeholder examples of what we could pick?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

A Changer wrote: »
    'Lo, all!

I was having a chat with some others going into second year in MH114, and doubts regarding my understanding of how electives work came as a result. Y'see, I do History as a minor subject to English, and figured I had a choice of twelve/thirteen elective modules per semester that were listed under the Major/Minor section of the History Undergraduate Handbook. However, I got linked to this page, which, under the Year Two History option, has designated four History electives for us, alongside the two compulsory modules.

So, what I'm wondering is, since I'm doing the BA English degree as opposed to the Arts degree, do I not get a choice regarding my electives in my minor subject? Is the list of electives in the History Undergraduate Handbook under the Major/Minor page only for Arts students? Or are the modules picked on my Course page just placeholder examples of what we could pick?

I should read more...

You can only take 20 credits for history and your compulsory modules add up to 15 so you only have 5 credits left to take - aka 2 2.5 credit modules like the ones shown or they might let you take one 5 credit module.

Most of the modules will be 7.5 credits though so you definitely won't be able to take them

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

I should read more...

You can only take 20 credits for history and your compulsory modules add up to 15 so you only have 5 credits left to take - aka 2 2.5 credit modules like the ones shown or they might let you take one 5 credit module.

Most of the modules will be 7.5 credits though so you definitely won't be able to take them

Ah, now it makes sense to me. So I can only pick a single 2.5 credit module per semester, making it 20 credits. Not very happy with my options, but there we go. At least I won't have as much work in History as I anticipated. :o

Thanks a lot for clearing that up for us! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

A Changer wrote: »
    I should read more...

Ah, now it makes sense to me. So I can only pick a single 2.5 credit module per semester, making it 20 credits. Not very happy with my options, but there we go. At least I won't have as much work in History as I anticipated. :o

Thanks a lot for clearing that up for us! :D

No probs! Have a look at the other modules and see if they'll let you pick a different 2.5 credit module (I think there's one or two others) or maybe just take one elective and do a 5 credit one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

It's mad seeing the footbridge gone. First day back in Maynooth since May...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    It's mad seeing the footbridge gone. First day back in Maynooth since May...
    There was a footbridge?? :eek:

Lucan is such a confusing place. Me and my friend went on a spin out there earlier and it took us forever to find the place she was looking for! It's even more abnormally spread out than Bundoran, and that's saying something :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Lucan is such a confusing place.
    Haha tell me about it, been here for about 18 years!
    Just gets bigger and bigger. Like me...
    ego
    =P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

HEY. so we get repeat results on wednesday.. do we get them online or in the post? what time etc.?

Any one know if the language centre do evening classes in French during the year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Pretty sure they do all major languages, got an email about it last year. There's a cut price deal for postgrads too I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Just got an email warning me that if I don't email the Garda Ombudsman today then Christ, in his impending 2nd coming, will turn me into a goat within days. Also Enda Kenny, Alan Shatter and the Garda Commissioner.

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE NUMBER FOR THE GARDA OMBUDSMAN. IT'S AN EMERGENCY.

HEY. so we get repeat results on wednesday.. do we get them online or in the post? what time etc.?

Think they're online on Wednesday, probably about 2pm or so, similar to the summer ones :)

@Baile an Locha - yep they do! I'm thinking of doing one in Irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

banquo wrote: »
    Just got an email warning me that if I don't email the Garda Ombudsman today then Christ, in his impending 2nd coming, will turn me into a goat within days. Also Enda Kenny, Alan Shatter and the Garda Commissioner.

Searched on google, says
    "Phone: 9:30 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 16:30, Monday to Friday"
    LoCall: 1890 600 800, Phone: 01 871 67 27, Fax: 01 814 70 23

• Advertisement

Jesus hope you're okay! Wtf like :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Jesus hope you're okay! Wtf like :eek:

Rebecca Black is after him. (I have NO idea what a Garda Ombudsman is :P)

In other news, who else is so happy that the Summer is over??!?!

A Garda Ombudsman are the people who pretend to keep the Gardai in check, "move along there lads, nathing to see here" :P

@Baile an Locha - yep they do! I'm thinking of doing one in Irish :)

Keep an eye out on the notice boards around Seomra na Gaeilge, the Irish officer is in talks with the language lab to organise informal evening classes and hopefully we (The Cuallacht) can start doing some conversation groups for varying abilities in the canteen or something!

Will post info on boards when I get it!

Any one know if the language centre do evening classes in French during the year??

http://www.nuim.ie/language/evening/timetable.shtml

Thinking about trying one myself, though will probably wait till the second semester.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What's wrong with being turned into a goat?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

What's the story with moving into campus, do many people move in on the Sunday?

Also will I be the only one whose parents go up when moving in? Dont want them to embarrass me.....:o

Tell them not to dance naked in the quad so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

:pac:

seriously tho ? i dont think i can go on my own because ive too much stuff to bring on the bus and also i wont be there on time on the bus to get the key.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Pretty sure most people will be bringing their parents.. And also why care if anyone else doesn't? :confused: If you're already thinking about other peoples opinions, I'd be worried :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement