Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Just got the email off Adrian there, getting excited for this final year craic now! See y'all around on Monday! :)

Moodle's looking well this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Just got the email off Adrian there, getting excited for this final year craic now! See y'all around on Monday! :)

Moodle's looking well this year!

Adrian Kav? 3rd geog? Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rafcam

Apparently there are free earplugs in the library, or so I've heard anyways! You're as well to try them before you go buying any!

Nope, Scahill! 3rd Music :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Nope, Scahill! 3rd Music :pac:

Shucks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Ye third year music is looking nice!

what modules did you choose?

wonton wrote: »
    Ye third year music is looking nice!

what modules did you choose?

Composition, Music Since 1945, Czech Musical Identity, Pop and Jazz, and Early Romanticism, what about you?

Wondering if I should have chosen Analytical Methods III (think that's title...) to go along with composition. Any of the music graduates on here care to chime in?

Composition, Music Since 1945, Czech Musical Identity, Pop and Jazz, and Early Romanticism, what about you?

Wondering if I should have chosen Analytical Methods III (think that's title...) to go along with composition. Any of the music graduates on here care to chime in?

picked composition,keyboard skills,Irish music and counterpoint and pop and jazz, musicology and ethnomusicology and analytical 3 and compulsory for bmus.

actually analytical is the one I wish I wasnt doing, sckenkerian analysis and all that schuff doesnt seem like my cup of tea. wouldnt say it would be that much help with comp, music since 1945 would probably compliment compostion the best, done it last year 2nd bmus, great module.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Everyone seems to be trying to scare you on here! :-P
    It'll calm down soon enough and if nothing else you will get somewhat used to it.

Are you in river, village or rye?
    Village. Seems to be the worst for noise/best for parties, in the few days I've been there.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

mickstupp wrote: »
    Experiment with a few different types. I got a great pair that I can't hear a single thing beyond about 5 foot away from me. Which is great because I can still hear the alarm clock, but basically nothing else. Mad annoyed the chemist didn't have any more of them.
    Sounds good, what make are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

DB10 wrote: »
    Sounds good, what make are they?
    I wish I knew, lost the packaging long ago. I have others I got from Boots, foam earplugs, which are pretty ok, but not really useful for mad party levels of noise. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Does anyone know the number for the Village Apartments Office, or whether they'll be available to collect apartment keys from on Saturday?

actually analytical is the one I wish I wasnt doing, sckenkerian analysis and all that schuff doesnt seem like my cup of tea. wouldnt say it would be that much help with comp, music since 1945 would probably compliment compostion the best, done it last year 2nd bmus, great module.

Yeah, 1945 is a compulsory module for single composition. See you in pop and jazz then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Anyone know how one goes about booking the venue in the SU? Can any student book it? Or does one have to book it through a ratified club or soc?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ah pop and jazz, pazz to those in the know right?

lordgoat wrote: »
    Ah pop and jazz, pazz to those in the know right?

Once it's not ****... Sounds like a module that can be either savage or rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Anyone know how one goes about booking the venue in the SU? Can any student book it? Or does one have to book it through a ratified club or soc?
    Send an email to the SU office and they'll sort it out! Don't think it has to be for a club/soc, as long as you're a student.

The down arrow on my keyboard is being a bollox! Fuuuuuuuu

Also, why are crap cover versions invariably the first version of a song on the last.fm free player?

Thanks!

Use grooveshark's "alternative" radio playlist, it's top quality, very rarely any ****e on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Once it's not ****... Sounds like a module that can be either savage or rubbish.

Half and half. If it's the same lecturers, the jazz is more historically based, while the pop element is more subjective and philosophical.

Personally, I preferred the pop because Adrian lectured that half, and I enjoy his lectures. The jazz section was good, just too historical and broad for my taste.

RE: analytical methods......if it has Schenkerian Analysis in it and it's optional, don't choose it. Biggest ****in chancer in the history of music.

well I love jazz and that half seems pretty straight forward and looks like a concise chronology course on it with a listening test , essay and part of the written exam.

but the pop part looks like its going to be very musicology based, so its probably depending on whether you like musicology or not if you enjoy that part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Ha I'm going to miss Adrian and his antics. He puts such thought into his emails. They almost always tend to wander off the path halfway through before he gets back on track again. He started on about goldfish one day last year.

Do his environmental politics module if you can. If you have any interest in politics and especially if you did his 2nd year module then you should get close to a first without much hassle.

Love the way he only refers to himself as Third Year Tsar ha. What a man.

Man is a legend, never done geography but interacting with him around exams, his tweets and occasional appearances on VinB keep me well entertained :D

well I love jazz and that half seems pretty straight forward and looks like a concise chronology course on it with a listening test , essay and part of the written exam.

but the pop part looks like its going to be very musicology based, so its probably depending on whether you like musicology or not if you enjoy that part of it.

I'm a big jazz fan too, but then the module stops at the 60s, we'll be missing out on so much deadly stuff! Pop should be pretty cool though.

And cheers funky penguin!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Man is a legend, never done geography but interacting with him around exams, his tweets and occasional appearances on VinB keep me well entertained :D

He's one of the few lecturers that seems to always have the student in mind. A few in my time have finished the lecture and that's it. He's great for extra resources and emails reminding you to get working and that.

I had him for 3 modules in 2 years and they were great crack. His attempts at giving a sly dig to some party or politician are hilarious. Loud cough followed by a blatant comment. I'm going to miss his carry on.

I'm following him on Twitter now. He'll be posting flat out in the next few weeks no doubt with the presidential election coming up. His knowledge on politics is scary and I'm sure he's forgotten more about politics than most of us will ever hope to even know.

A great man all round.

Great man for the demographics :pac: Hearing him say it makes me giggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Does anyone know if residence office will be closed for lunch tomorrow, and if so what time they will be closed? I'm driving down and don't want to be waiting around for them to open when i get there.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    Does anyone know if residence office will be closed for lunch tomorrow, and if so what time they will be closed? I'm driving down and don't want to be waiting around for them to open when i get there.. :cool:

Might be an idea to ring them and ask first? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

12 orientation talks down, 8 to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

banquo wrote: »
    12 orientation talks down, 8 to go!

..6 tours to go
    *collapses*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

I will have 8 exams in Jan :eek:

This discussion has been closed.