Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Oh god, there was the funniest thread in AH a few weeks ago about quiz team names. Also, what about a square?

Bí ann nó Bí i do Chearnóg = Be there or be square. Incredibly lame I know...but it's the best I have!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anyone know when the Roost will re-open, i miss the carvery and somewhere to go on a sat night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

So, where's the best place around to see a match on TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Daemos wrote: »
    So, where's the best place around to see a match on TV?

O'Neills is probably best place to go on match night. But God help you if you run into those Man United fans who refer to United as 'we' despite not actually having any connection to Manchester. S'pose the same could be said for most English teams.

But yeah definately O'Neills. I watched a United v Arsenal game there last year and the banter was amazing. Roost is good for games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

lordgoat wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Roost will re-open, i miss the carvery and somewhere to go on a sat night.

Think they told me it will be in October.

• Advertisement

Okay, where is this mysterious O'Neills - I can't for the life of me find it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Daemos wrote: »
    Okay, where is this mysterious O'Neills - I can't for the life of me find it :o

Accross the road from Mantra. Main street :P

:o

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeh, O'Neills is best spot to watch a game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

karaokeman wrote: »

Think they told me it will be in October.

Their Facebook page gave last night as it's reopening and it will defo be open every night next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The Roost is good on a Champions League night. We went down there last year on the night that Schalke bet Inter 5-2 and Madrid tore Spurs to pieces winning 4-0.

The two games were shown on different screens. It got to the stage where a goal would be scored in one game, we'd run over to see the replay and then miss a goal in the other game. Craziest night of football watching in my life. 11 goals in an hour and a half. I was expecting 2 or 3 at best.

Also we were there on the final day of last season. They had three games on that day. Goals flying in from all angles. Great banter between everyone arguing who'd stay up and who'd go down or what not. Even had one of my lecturers come up to me and ask me who was going to be relegated. The whole pub got in on the act.

And then some people went to a football game ;) Banter in the pub will never replace banter on the terraces.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    And then some people went to a football game ;) Banter in the pub will never replace banter on the terraces.

Oh I know, but when you are struggling by on a pizza from Dunnes for food every day in college then the pub banter can be all you can afford to see.

Also being from Kilkenny I'm not exactly blessed with any football team to cheer on unfortunately.

There was one once, nobody went to see em and they died :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Is the Phoenix open for business yet? Probably been asked loads already... :o

There was one once, nobody went to see em and they died :P

Ah yea. I remember a few years ago going out to matches there. They went on a run of a couple of wins once. Twas the cause of great excitement.

Great stadium out there. Pity it's not really being used at all.

Despite all that soccer is Strong in Kilkenny. Our club holds it's own in the FAI tournaments and all those. Hopefully they make a successful comeback sometime down the road.

Football is in some state at that level anyway, I'm a Shels fan, we barely get 1000 at games any more. Good standard of football nowadays too with so many lads not going to England or coming home earlier. Just **** facilities really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Is the Phoenix open for business yet? Probably been asked loads already... :o

Aye think it is! Gonna try it out myself tomorrow I think :)

I'm really nervous about starting tomorrow :o I haven't done history in like 7 years... Might not have been the best decision to do a postgrad in it :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Football is in some state at that level anyway, I'm a Shels fan, we barely get 1000 at games any more. Good standard of football nowadays too with so many lads not going to England or coming home earlier. Just **** facilities really.

Disagree.

LOI is a terrible of standard. And yes i've been to matches this season.

Too many lads going to England? Better leagues, better standard, better facilities, too right they'll go.

Football is coached poorly and underfunded in this country we're about 50 years behind being in any way competitive but don't delude yourself into thinking the standard of football is good. I'd have it on a par with League 1 in England. Yes it's improved but so too has the standard elsewhere.

Disagree.

LOI is a terrible of standard. And yes i've been to matches this season.

Too many lads going to England? Better leagues, better standard, better facilities, too right they'll go.

Football is coached poorly and underfunded in this country we're about 50 years behind being in any way competitive but don't delude yourself into thinking the standard of football is good. I'd have it on a par with League 1 in England. Yes it's improved but so too has the standard elsewhere.

I was talking about the standard at Shels games mainly but glad you've been around all the grounds to form a good opinion of what that standard is. Clubs at the lower levels in England are suffering and hence we gain a small bit. And I meant the standard has improved in all the years I've been going to games. It's as good as it has been in the last 15 years. But I'm sure you'll refute my points, yadda, yadda, yes you always disagree so I'm not sure why I'm bothering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Aye think it is! Gonna try it out myself tomorrow I think :)

I hope they do a good 10am breakfast :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

mbo8hy.jpg

your text, you doing a history MA having not done history as your degree?

wonton wrote: »
    your text, you doing a history MA having not done history as your degree?
    Yep! It's a higher diploma though as opposed to an MA. Really interesting actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Snap! Doing Business Management after 4 years of Biomed:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

mbo8hy.jpg

Ah 3 Bmus, some laugh!

oh cool where is that? I'm doing bmus but thinking of trying to do a history postgrad

oh cool where is that? I'm doing bmus but thinking of trying to do a history postgrad
    Maynooth as well! It's the H.Dip in Irish History - you can get onto some history MAs after doing it :) I had a similar idea to you, hence why I decided to do it.

nice, I really like the look of that european history ma, and I love the idea of studying a language too which is a big part of it appearantly.

any Idea if doing a masters enables you to teach the subject in secondary? I mean I guess it should, but havent looked into it yet.

doing 10 credits of history this year too,hope that might improve my chances somewhat

That European history masters was cancelled this year, so it mightn't be on next year. You never know though :)

I think the Teaching Council only allows people to register to teach the subjects they did for their undergrad.

• Advertisement

jrg2gk.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement