Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

They just take the router and cables I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I've only been here less then a month, but I love the place! Tonight though I was happily dancing in Brady's when some fellas starting pushing against me. I put my hand up in a way saying I don't wanna get involved and started to walk away.. next thing I turned around and got headbutted straight in the mouth knocking my front tooth out of place, but still attached barely... I was furious but didn't retaliate cos I'm not that kinda guy... I could've but I didn't! The owner of Brady's said he'd sort it out though... has anyone been told that before or had problems like this before?

I still love Maynooth but I did nothing wrong and now face possible massive dentist fee's! Any advice or anything? Im absolutely sickened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

That's shocking. You should go to the guards and file a complaint, those dental bills will be massive and at least you might have some luck if they can catch the chap. Hope you're ok!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

brian93 wrote: »
    I've only been here less then a month, but I love the place! Tonight though I was happily dancing in Brady's when some fellas starting pushing against me. I put my hand up in a way saying I don't wanna get involved and started to walk away.. next thing I turned around and got headbutted straight in the mouth knocking my front tooth out of place, but still attached barely... I was furious but didn't retaliate cos I'm not that kinda guy... I could've but I didn't! The owner of Brady's said he'd sort it out though... has anyone been told that before or had problems like this before?

I still love Maynooth but I did nothing wrong and now face possible massive dentist fee's! Any advice or anything? Im absolutely sickened!

This is why I don't go to bradys

Do what leixlipred said (agreeing twice in the one week :-O) and go to the guards. Complain to bradys too and scare them enough to make them pay for your bills

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Do what leixlipred said (agreeing twice in the one week :-O) and go to the guards. Complain to bradys too and scare them enough to make them pay for your bills

Why whats wrong with bradys, is it a rougher spot or something? Tbh I've only been a couple of times but it seemed okay. Dont really like Mantra at all though, it seems to be packed every night and the inevitable pushing etc starts which I dont take well to.

Really feel for the lad above though, its tough enough starting college with dozens of obstacles without ****e like that....:(

It's surprising for me because I generally felt Maynooth during the week is alot safer than country towns at weekends and places like Dublin, Sligo.

• Advertisement

DB10 wrote: »

Why whats wrong with bradys, is it a rougher spot or something? Tbh I've only been a couple of times but it seemed okay. Dont really like Mantra at all though, it seems to be packed every night and the inevitable pushing etc starts which I dont take well to.

Really feel for the lad above though, its tough enough starting college with dozens of obstacles without ****e like that....:(

It's surprising for me because I generally felt Maynooth during the week is alot safer than country towns at weekends and places like Dublin, Sligo.

That's pretty much it. Bradys is the only place in Maynooth that I'd feel wary in on a night out. People just tend to be drinker and rougher there.
    I'm not a huge fan of mantra either though! I haven't actually met many in Maynooth who are!
    I tend to just avoid Wednesdays. Monday and Thursday are my nights! Didn't miss a single one last year!

I would agree with the last bit though. Maynooth is still the safest place that I've ever gone out in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Downloaded the form for the english teaching assistant thing, so exciting!

what's this exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

wonton wrote: »
    what's this exactly?

All shall be revealed here...

There's a link to the form on the right-hand side of that page :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Back from the Dentist with my own new little brace :p And will probably need a root canal in a few weeks! The man from Brady's offered to pay, fair play to him. Everyone that helped me today were awesome, from the dentist and her receptionists, the nurse in the NUIM medical centre, the worker in Brady's, the receptionist in the SU and some random lad who let me skip ahead in the dentist cos I was an 'emergency'!!

:D

brian93 wrote: »
    Back from the Dentist with my own new little brace :p And will probably need a root canal in a few weeks! The man from Brady's offered to pay, fair play to him. Everyone that helped me today were awesome, from the dentist and her receptionists, the nurse in the NUIM medical centre, the worker in Brady's, the receptionist in the SU and some random lad who let me skip ahead in the dentist cos I was an 'emergency'!!

:D

Glad to hear that you were treated well! :)

• Advertisement

Did the lad who hit you offer to pay?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So Richie Jape is playing next week. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

in exactly 5 hours I'll be 22... scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

If you were still in France, it would be only four hours!:D

Can I hold off on eating your present that long??

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

How so Joe wrote: »
    If you were still in France, it would be only four hours!:D

I had my 21st there last year and it was UNREAL! Best night ever. Can't beat a bit of France for a savage night out.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Can I hold off on eating your present that long??

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Don't eat the m&ms! Well, if you want you can eat the chocolate off them and leave me the peanuts, I won't mind

Nah, can't do that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That's pretty much it. Bradys is the only place in Maynooth that I'd feel wary in on a night out. People just tend to be drinker and rougher there.
    I'm not a huge fan of mantra either though! I haven't actually met many in Maynooth who are!
    I tend to just avoid Wednesdays. Monday and Thursday are my nights! Didn't miss a single one last year!

I would agree with the last bit though. Maynooth is still the safest place that I've ever gone out in

You make it sound like that by going to Brady's you are taking your life in your hands. Sure you have a few lads on the dancefloor who feel the need to fight or whatever. That's once in a blue moon though.

I've never felt unsafe there in 3 years. If you do then it's simple, stay off the dance floor because that's where most of the non-existant trouble occurs. Downstairs is open, the side areas are open and if you want "fresh air" then go to the smoking room.

Again I'd agree with the last bit about the safety. If you don't go looking for trouble then you'll be alright. Once you mouth off to people and try to be smart with them then you'll have a problem. If I was ever confronted by any lads my strategy was usually to have a laugh with them and then everything would be perfect.

You make it sound like that by going to Brady's you are taking your life in your hands. Sure you have a few lads on the dancefloor who feel the need to fight or whatever. That's once in a blue moon though.

I've never felt unsafe there in 3 years. If you do then it's simple, stay off the dance floor because that's where most of the non-existant trouble occurs. Downstairs is open, the side areas are open and if you want "fresh air" then go to the smoking room.

Again I'd agree with the last bit about the safety. If you don't go looking for trouble then you'll be alright. Once you mouth off to people and try to be smart with them then you'll have a problem. If I was ever confronted by any lads my strategy was usually to have a laugh with them and then everything would be perfect.

Ah now. I never said that! Youre exaggerating there! I just said that I'd feel wary!
    It is a little rougher! You can't deny that! And FYI, there has been a fight everytime I've gone!
    I don't mind it like but for Maynooth it is the roughest! And that is from personal experience including being pushed and nearly punched as two lads started two fight and being near the line of fire after a glass was thrown.

If I had to I'd still go!
    I've seen far worse in Wicklow! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

Hey Boardsies, remember me?

Just posting to say I passed my masters and can now leave NUIM with a clear conscience!

Much Love,
    Aengus

• Advertisement

Hey Boardsies, remember me?

Just posting to say I passed my masters and can now leave NUIM with a clear conscience!

Much Love,
    Aengus

Congrats!
    I was actually just wondering if you were still around!
    I came across some old threads about your election and was looking through em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Who are you again?
    Only joking. Congrats :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

The 66 is so crowed nearly everytime I get on now, its unreal, people were actually left at the bus stop earlier today cos it got full.

Anyone see this email today?
    Dear student,

We are all aware of the cost of University and the cost of course books
    can sometimes come as a shock to students. Visiting international
    students especially find the cost high as they are only here for a short
    period of time. With this in mind, the International Office have decided
    to create a forum on Moodle for all students to buy and sell books.

All students can post what books they need or have to sell or even want
    to swap. We strongly recommend if you need to exchange contact details
    with a student that you do this through private message or email as the
    forum is open for all students to view.

It's simple and we hope it will be useful and save students money!

Find the forum on the International Office Moodle page, which is under
    'Useful Links' on the Moodle homepage and then click on 'International
    Office: Student Support' or follow the below link.

https://moodle.nuim.ie/2012/mod/forum/view.php?id=23524

Kind regards,

The International Office
    Humanity House
    South Campus
    NUI Maynooth
    http://international.nuim.ie
    Facebook: NUI Maynooth Study Abroad

Isn't that the same as the thing that Rob and Broni were meant to be setting up?
    Has the idea been hijacked?

Anyone see this email today?

Isn't that the same as the thing that Rob and Broni were meant to be setting up?
    Has the idea been hijacked?

There's one on the SU website and now the Moodle International page too. I've posted on the SU site before and never sold anything, posted the same stuff on the moodle page this evening and sold two books by twenty minutes later..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

We publicise stuff week by week. If you cram all info into one week then most of it gets lost in the noise :/

This coming week there some welfare initiaves to be pushed, then next week is market.nuimsu.com which does grinds and laptops (etc) as well as books (and is not run by the university), then something else the next week, etc. Though this was pushed to all first years at orientation too, there's so much info at orientation we can't expect everyone to remember it all, especially not a URL. Posters, banners etc coming soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

A student came to our English lecture yesterday telling us about studying abroad. A semester in the US sounds awful tempting:pac: Anyone ever studied abroad?

I did it last year, did an erasmus year in France, I GUARANTEE it will be the best year of your life. I you can do it, do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Is there a laundromat in Maynooth?? Ya know, the buildings in Friends with loads of washing machines and tumble dryers. River and Village offices are closed and can't get the tokens for the washing machines!

• Advertisement

Not that I know of, only dry cleaners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement