Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

And seeing as BuroniKiisu is apparently online, I'm not still writing anything. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

@El Pr0n - influences include 70s Krautrock, Naomi Klein (anti-capitalist author of savage books <3), jazz, and computer music afficionados. More info in the wikipedia article (which I am not using as research for any articles, certainly not *nods*).

Oh, I know well what the influences are (Kid A got me into Autechre, for which I am eternally grateful), just wondered why they were 'hipster' :P I've read a bit of No Logo, what else should I read?

Ah right! Nah I just thought they seemed a bit hipstery, because everyone who I imagined discussing such stuff looked like hipsters :P Not that that is in anyway a bad thing, pretentious as I am.

Her book The Shock Doctrine is great. It's about governments using times of population shock (e.g. natural disasters, new political regimes) to bring in neoliberal economic policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

El Pr0n wrote: »
    For me, not necessarily the best music ever, but definitely the single best album ever recorded in one package.

Good choice, and a good topic......I can't decide what my 'complete package' album would be....Kid A would definitely be up there, but I think I prefer Songs for the Deaf. Booooom those drums hit hard. It's so rare these days to find an album you can comfortably listen to all the way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Good choice, and a good topic......I can't decide what my 'complete package' album would be....Kid A would definitely be up there, but I think I prefer Songs for the Deaf. Booooom those drums hit hard. It's so rare these days to find an album you can comfortably listen to all the way through.

shet, thats actually made me realise how little of the music I buy actually newish.

probalby the last two albums I bought which are kinda recent and I listened to comfortably was Rodrigo y gabriela '11:11' and Adele '21'.

but ye songs for the deaf is a fantastic album !

• Advertisement

Songs For The Deaf is an epic album. The little radio bits slightly annoy me though. But nothing involving Mark Lanegan could be considered anything but brilliant :D

Another one for me would be Aphex Twin's Come To Daddy EP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Arguments about which radiohead album is greatest aside, just listening to True Love Waits there, their finest moment that never made it to an album possibly?

True Love Waits is a great song. My favourite non-album track is probably Fog though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Re: Radiohead. It's worth checking out the chapter in Curtis White's The Middle Mind on Radiohead. It's an often polemical book, but White entertainingly nails dislikable British writer Nick Hornby's scathing review of Kid A. Here be an extract:
    The music of Kid A and its public reception make explicit the drama implicit in the relationship between an autonomous art (or, at least, an art with the desire for autonomy) and an administered culture. Take, for example, the review of Kid A, written by novelist Nick Hornby (“Beyond the Pale,” New Yorker, October 30, 2000).

Hornby’s review is not an objective evaluation of an artwork. It is the reassertion of a familiar, grim and very repressive aesthetic. Hornby begins his review with the obligatory homage to Ray Charles and Elvis Presley, thus establishing his orthodoxy, his faithfulness to the one true Church of the Commodified Vernacular. Hornby can then begin to lay out the aesthetic grounds for Radiohead’s heresy to what Hornby calls “the old-fashioned dynamics of rock.”

“Kid A demands the patience of the devoted; both patience and devotion become scarcer commodities once you start picking up a paycheck.”

Could he be any plainer? Art is about exchange. We give the artist our hard-earned money and the artist . . . what? Doesn’t try our patience?

Hornby gives more content to what it is we expect in return for that which we’ve given from our paycheck. Hornby argues that Radiohead’s previous album, OK Computer, had “some extraordinarily lovely tracks,” and in Kid A’s best moments “something gorgeous floats past.” So, in the World of Art according to Nick Hornby, the first and highest principle is that it should be a fair exchange, you should “get your money’s worth” (as his mother probably told him), and aesthetic tenet #2 is that the art should be “gorgeous” and also maybe a little bit “lovely.” Now, beyond the obvious fact that this is an old romantic tautology and Hornby has no idea what he’s talking about, it does reveal that the fundamental premise of Hornby’s aesthetic insistence is pleasure. My money is well spent if I “enjoy” the album/movie/sitcom/football game.

• Advertisement

Kinski wrote: »
    Re: Radiohead. It's worth checking out the chapter in Curtis White's The Middle Mind on Radiohead. It's an often polemical book, but White entertainingly nails dislikable British writer Nick Hornby's scathing review of Kid A. Here be an extract:
    Is that White's essay "Kid Adorno"? Very good actually, used it for essays in the past.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Arguments about which radiohead album is greatest aside, just listening to True Love Waits there, their finest moment that never made it to an album possibly?

Hmm, Big Boots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Is that White's essay "Kid Adorno"? Very good actually, used it for essays in the past.

Edit: Yep

I just spent loads of money on make up and nail varnish. IMMA BE PWETTY.

Got a really dark red/purple lipstick, gonna look like a big goth wearing it :p also I should probably have posted this in the beauty forum, where it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I just spent loads of money on make up and nail varnish. IMMA BE PWETTY.

Got a really dark red/purple lipstick, gonna look like a big goth wearing it :p also I should probably have posted this in the beauty forum, where it would be appreciated.

I appreciate it!! :D

Wimmins.

I appreciate it!! :D
    *high fives"

I already own far too much as it is :o The nail polish thread has ruined me.

*high fives"

I already own far too much as it is :o The nail polish thread has ruined me.

LR will fill you in on my obsession with nail polish.

Don't wear mustard coloured polish, he won't appreciate it at all :P

Ah, kill it.

But lellow is my second favourite colour?

• Advertisement

Mustard is not yellow.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Mustard is not yellow.
    What colour is it then?

Then what colour is it? And don't say mustard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

And don't say mustard.

Damn, was so gonna say it...

A stupid colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Is this a denouncing of mustard as just a nail polish colour, or as a colour in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Ick.

Lindt Lindor chocolate:

sweetjesus.jpg?1304464025

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

#9090.

• Advertisement

#9090.
    We should get Norrdeth to delete some of your posts so that looks silly

:P