Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Does me fine. What's wrong with it?

Formatting goes haywire between versions, it's woeful at saving to/loading from the one of the most mainstream document formats around (Microsoft Office), it crashes, it's buggy and in general an embarrassment to open source software.

Don't get me wrong, I've been using Linux as my primary OS for over 6 years, I like free software. But I don't like software just because it's free. If the propriety alternative is truly leaps and bounds ahead (and in the case of Microsoft Office, it most certainly is) then that's what I'll use.

But if you don't have any problems with it, that's cool. I've just found that it lacks the consistency I need.

Also I have Office 2007 running no problem on Ubuntu... so why not? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I decided on a new strategy to deal with my VEC; My mammy is on the phone to them now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

DB21 wrote: »
    I decided on a new strategy to deal with my VEC; My mammy is on the phone to them now :pac:

Pull hard into them, no relation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭kksaints

Is the gym in the college open on Saturdays?

Oh good God, they're awful. I'm poor now. "We'll give you the top up grant next year". WTF????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

kksaints wrote: »
    Is the gym in the college open on Saturdays?

From 9 or 10 until 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Most popular application on the Mac? Microsoft Office.

Its photoshop if you count illegal downloads

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Can you do assignments using microsoft word 97?
    please save Word documents as Word 97-2003 or Word 2007.
    It says on moodle. I dont know what the 97-2003 thing means.

Its annoying microsoft word is so dear! Hard to do work when at home.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

DB10 wrote: »

97-2003 means save the assignment as a .doc, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

You can get most of the MS Office suite in one package for 60 from software4students.ie. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, I use Outlook and OneNote too.

The 97-2003 thing really just means you save your work as a .doc file, not a .docx as in 2007 and 2010, and not an .odt or whatever it is like in OpenOffice. But if what you have at home is Office 97, or Office XP, that should be fine. Just make sure your assignment is saved as a .doc.

The guys in the computer centre might be much better help with explaining file formats and all this version stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if your using office 2007 , I reccomend you change your default settings to save as .doc , theres instructions here http://www.walterglenn.com/2007/01/13/save-as-doc-instead-of-docx-in-word-2007/

it just means everybody can read them regardless of platform or application (in most cases)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Hard to do work when at home.:(

You could do all your typing in WordPad or something, email it to yourselve, paste it into Word on a college computer and do your formatting there, then submit? I've done that once or twice when I'm stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Weird question but does anyone have any ideas where one could buy a tracksuit pants for the shorter male?? :o My boyfriend is 5' 8 and always wearing these ancient tracksuit pants around the house so I wanted to get him new ones as part of his xmas gift but it seems like most brands seem to only make one leg length and it's excessively long haha. Any help would be much appreciated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

kisaragi wrote: »
    Weird question but does anyone have any ideas where one could buy a tracksuit pants for the shorter male??y help would be
    Possibly elverys. Do pants not come in small, medium and large :confused: Surely the small wouldn't be too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Does anyone have any experience from the postgrad economics and finance programs? I'm thinking about where to do a masters right now. My lecturers of course insist the masters programs are great, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually done a masters in economics/finance/risk analysis or knows someone who has.

Weird question but does anyone have any ideas where one could buy a tracksuit pants for the shorter male??y help would be
    Possibly elverys. Do pants not come in small, medium and large :confused: Surely the small wouldn't be too big.

Aye they do but they all have the same length, just wider or shorter at the waist.... Was asking the girl in champion sports and she looked at me like I had two heads so wondering if tracksuits are always just one length fits all ha.

Figured it the **** out. NBD.

Aye they do but they all have the same length, just wider or shorter at the waist.... Was asking the girl in champion sports and she looked at me like I had two heads so wondering if tracksuits are always just one length fits all ha.

Im only 5'9 and the small ones fit me :confused::pac:

Im only 5'9 and the small ones fit me :confused::pac:

Hmm maybe they'll be grand so! Possibly just being paranoid haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Wendero wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience from the postgrad economics and finance programs? I'm thinking about where to do a masters right now. My lecturers of course insist the masters programs are great, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually done a masters in economics/finance/risk analysis or knows someone who has.
    Maybe ask on the economics forum. The posters on there will probably be able to help you out.

It's freeeeeeeeeeeeezing.

• Advertisement

Maybe ask on the economics forum. The posters on there will probably be able to help you out.

It's freeeeeeeeeeeeezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

4 assignments due in 5 days, and the one day an assignment not due, is the day of Rubberbandits..
    It's a sign :p

4 assignments due in 5 days, and the one day an assignment not due, is the day of Rubberbandits..
    It's a sign :p

Surely the day after Rubberbandits is the one that counts :p

DB21 I see you ;)

DB21 I see you ;)

STOP CREEPING ON ME!!!!

lol j/k you're sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Intellectual property exam is death on a piece of paper.

I never, in all my law career, thought I would actually need to know anything about biotechnology. But today I wrote 2,000 words on it.
    Damn you, biotechnology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Have just changed the clock on my laptop so I'll have no idea what time it is. God damn it, come Hell or high water, I am getting this essay finished tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭kksaints

Its fairly hard. Good deal of maths in it.

I met DB21 too earlier; our society stands were warring :D DON'T SAVE THE PUPPIES!!

History is awwwesome <3333333333

• Advertisement

I met DB21 too earlier; our society stands were warring :D DON'T SAVE THE PUPPIES!!

tumblr_kx0j636HFN1qzt48ao1_500.jpg

Not just a puppy, but Obama too. Your argument is doubly invalid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement