Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Yay more Lisbon talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Is it a good social thing? My mate lived here last year and he didnt know any of his student neighbours.

I don't really know. I just knew some friend's in houses there. BUt the great thing about maynooth is that you can just call into strangers house with cake or something, cake turns into a trip to the offy, followed by some pub and BAM! you have friends.Obviously it works better if you don't go on your own, maybe two or three people. You should go meet your neighbours, it's good for parties.
    If they're dickheads, you can just avoid them afterwards.

But students are great they love the novelty of absolute randomers, I love the novelty of randomers.I hate that word though, randomers.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Yay more Lisbon talk.

Awh good god, I will piss in Lisbons eyes, if it doesn't shut up!

Interestingly my dad says he won't bring me to the polling booth if I'm going to vote NO. There has to be some law against that.

I'm still undecided. I like playing devil's advocate in my house though.

As far as I'm aware.

We are voting on the same treaty. There were promises but the treaty is the exact same ain't it?

We will be gauranteed a commisioner but less representation.

THis is not a referendum on ,"Being at the heart of Europe" or "Turning our economy around". Sure the ECB are not gonna hike rates because we veto a treaty. We'll still be in the E.U., the same as we were before. I don't get this bull****,"Oh, we're happy to look for handouts from them", like they're runnning an economic community, they haven't got bias or personality to offend, they just represent the sentiment of the collective population of europe, many of which are opposed to the treaty.

Anyway, I voted yes the first time on this referendum that increases the efficiency of coming to and implementing european decisions.

But now I may vote NO because maybe I don't recognise the validity of this second referendum on the same treaty in only a short time period. It's undemocratic, simple as that. If I don't stand by that principal then, the value of referenda is reduced and so is democracy.

Anyway, maybe someone can clear this up.
    Has the treaty been changed since the last vote?
    Because I'm pretty sure if there were changes it would have to be voted on by representatives from all states.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

pisslips wrote: »

Anyway, maybe someone can clear this up.
    Has the treaty been changed since the last vote?
    Because I'm pretty sure if there were changes it would have to be voted on by representatives from all states.

Yes it has, so this "reason" is no longer valid:
    But now I may vote NO because maybe I don't recognise the validity of this second referendum on the same treaty in only a short time period. It's undemocratic, simple as that. If I don't stand by that principal then, the value of referenda is reduced and so is democracy.

mp3guy wrote: »

What about these claims?

In its June 2009 Presidency Conclusions, the council clearly stated that the guarantees, “clarify but not change either the content or the application of the treaty”.

So it's the very same text?

http://www.sbpost.ie/newsfeatures/lisbon-ii-whats-changed-now-44323.html

This kind of sums the whole thing up for me.

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »

It has not changed.
    Why are you blatantly lying?!

It was clarified and some promises were made pending later agreement.

The text is the same.
    Why is everyone lying?

Why are you lying?

Honestly if some one can point out why I'm wrong here, I'd very much appreciate it.

Has the Treaty changed?

And if not

Should we even recognise this referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

specific issues:
    http://www.lisbontreaty2009.ie/lisbon_treaty_specific_issues.html

developements since the 2008 referendum:
    http://www.lisbontreaty2009.ie/lisbon_treaty_developments.html

Now. any further discussion is to go to the politics forum.

thanks

It's ok, I wouldnt've been bothered replying anyway, I hate discussing politics. And I love lying to you specifically pisslips ;)

Lying makes baby Jesus cry.

Thanks for the link Lolth, just as I suspected.

Anyway, moving on, what E.U country has the hottest population. I'll start with Italy.Although the eastern block can produce them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Hungarians are pretty hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

I don't really know. I just knew some friend's in houses there. BUt the great thing about maynooth is that you can just call into strangers house with cake or something, cake turns into a trip to the offy, followed by some pub and BAM! you have friends.Obviously it works better if you don't go on your own, maybe two or three people. You should go meet your neighbours, it's good for parties.
    If they're dickheads, you can just avoid them afterwards.

But students are great they love the novelty of absolute randomers, I love the novelty of randomers.I hate that word though, randomers.

Yea One of the girls from number 6 invited us down to hers last night for a few pre mantra drinks. Then i find out one of my mates from first year is living there when i see her sittin in the corner. Small town.

I laughed when she told me how much their rent was. loooool. Then again, their gaf is a palace compaired to mine. We wont have electricity till the end of the goddamn week. Still waiting on a cooker and washer too.

I know people who live on either side of that stream. And I know who lived there last year and the year before aswell I think.

Oh update, 4,6,7. I know these people.

I know Colette in 6 and eh..her friends maybe ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Serious back pain, like can't move pain. Y'know when you need to stretch if you've been sitting in the same position for ages and you stretch and your back clicks or just feels un-stiffened?

MINE WON'T FIX ITSELF no matter how much I stretch. Ow ow ow :(

On the upside it was my sister's birthday today so I got cake woohoo!

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Hungarians are pretty hot.

DAMN STRAIGHT THEY ARE!

Budapest, take me back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Beau? I don't know why i have to call you that, did you hear that about 6 of the lads are playing with north Kildare, along with Turf? Imagine the messin' that they'll get up ta?
    We're missing a great year.

I'm tempted to join North kildare 2nds and get atrociously pissed every week but it will only ruin my life.

You can call me whatever you like, the only reason to call me Beau (which is a little weird) is to let everyone else know who you are referring too.

Yeh it sounds promising this year. I'm glad that its a thing I can come in and out of though rather than be part of.

The thought has crossed my mind, while I don't have a job how great it would be to hang out there and go on the lock 4 days a week, but I quickly snap out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I laughed when she told me how much their rent was.

what they paying? V. curious about rent prices, seems to be a bizarre mixmash in Maynooth.

----

Spent my day out in UCD, where FEE UCD were protesting against the presence of a certain Mister Ahern. highlight has to be Mary Ewww McDonald giving us all a nice 'fair play to yis' :rolleyes:

Meh, college is bleedin massiv'.

----
    Talking at some yoke on that thing we cant talk about tomorrow in the SU, 4PM? Somebody pulled out. Expect dramatics. If anyone wants a pint about 5 (If its not over at 5 I walk anyway amirite) go to the SU and grab me. I like pints. banquo has my number, he seems to be basically everywhere in NUIM, so get it from him. Then, pints. I'm not sure I'll be around tomorrow night late enough for the Caulfields, but still love you all and make the effort. Its not unusual to bump into me and go

"Alright Donal"

and rather than say "Alright?" I just go..."Pints?"

So yeah. Been a few strange days. I'll be about Clubs and Socs tomorrow, meaning to join a few.

Donal, you're weird.

Definitely ...strange.

Go have a sex/****(whatevers available),sh1te, shower, shave, a drink and then bed.

Then if your still feeling strange go for a drive and meet someone you haven't seen in a long time.

Thats my prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Anyone pop over for fairs day??

Join sociology and politics!

• Advertisement

Join Maths Soc! Managed to get a few heads to sign up while I was there anyway. Does anyone know if there's an outdoor/hill walking/mountainering type club? couldn't see one, thought there used to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

efla wrote: »
    Anyone pop over for fairs day??

Join sociology and politics!

I joined that. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Join Maths Soc! Managed to get a few heads to sign up while I was there anyway. Does anyone know if there's an outdoor/hill walking/mountainering type club? couldn't see one, thought there used to be.

There's the Outdoor Pursuits club. opc@nuimsu.com

Ah ****, must have missed em! Cheers

I renewed my MiNDS membership and also joined Poker Soc, time to lose some money :D

Pool closed due to conferrings. Since when are they doing them in the pool? :eek:

Seriously? FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Joined far too many societies again:
    Christian Union (was sitting at this stand quite a bit today)
    Skeptics Society,
    MINDS,
    Pro-Life,
    JPII Theological.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I joined Alt Music and.... the Galway cycle one.. although the Galway cycle one was freeeeeee.

• Advertisement

*Is now finished for the day*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement