Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing house tomorrow, What to ask?

Options
  • 14-03-2009 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Well theres the question, Seeing the show house and an unfinished house tomorrow and want to check with ye if there is anything particular I should ask?

Not going to make an offer but will ask how much he wants for either.

Kinda excited as I have watched this place for months!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Hey all,
    Well theres the question, Seeing the show house and an unfinished house tomorrow and want to check with ye if there is anything particular I should ask?

Not going to make an offer but will ask how much he wants for either.

Kinda excited as I have watched this place for months!

All joking aside, when they tell you the asking price, ask them are they smoking crack.

If you have the power to buy at the moment (deposit/mortgage approval) then you can be as brazen as a brass monkey! Ask if you'll be getting an allowance to furnish the property, as does it come with all the modern appliances and if not why not, will the property be decorated? e.t.c

If the house is in a development, is there management fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Thanks Bravestar, we actually have the deposit but not approval for the mortgagae as I want the price before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

1. When will the roads outside & landscaping be finished
    2. How much is the management fee for the estate
    3. Did the council agree to take over the bins
    To be honest, I think you should stay away from detailed questions like these at this stage. These are what we in sales call a 'buy signal'. Much better to ask the vendor 'what is your absolute best price for a buyer with no chain (i.e. no house to sell) and mortgage approval? Whatever reply you get, knock 10% off and say 'I am interested but my absolute max budget is EUR x' Hold your nerve. Use silence. Tell them you have mortgage approval even though you don't.

Of course, if you don't really like the house, then there is no need - unless you fancy practising haggling (you should, of course).

Good luck... and remember, they will lie about everything to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Management fee for the estate? Is that a thing?

Here is the house anyway, they want at 380k which is way out of my price range. I thought with all the market being the way it is and the well of buyers drying up they would be more open to lowering it but they said although they want to sell they are not under pressure to do so.
    These are the builders noa and not auctioneers.

TBH honest it is lovely but I m not getting myself tied into a mortgage like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

but they said although they want to sell they are not under pressure to do so.

That'd be a lie there.

They are under pressure to sell, because the arse (or what's left of it) is falling out of the market. They also likely (assuredly?) need the cash-flow.

They're obviously going to claim that they've no pressure to sell. It's not true.

The poo kept flowing with "if I drop 100k the others will hang me up" and "you wont find a house like this within 40 km of here".
    He s to ring me during the week because he has a "friend" who is a mortgage broker who might be able to get me the money.
    I figure this is the first meeting of many which will end with me me still not buying the house for 400k.
    I won't be tying myself down to a mortgage that could strangle the life of me and I think thats where a lot of people are finding themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Isn't it a pity daft.ie doesn't have the equivalent of Amazon's "People who liked this book also looked at this"?

However, if you search Daft for four-bed houses in Ballylynan, you'll find a bunch, including one for 200k. If you widen your search, undoubtedly you'll find more.

luckat wrote: »
    Isn't it a pity daft.ie doesn't have the equivalent of Amazon's "People who liked this book also looked at this"?

However, if you search Daft for four-bed houses in Ballylynan, you'll find a bunch, including one for 200k. If you widen your search, undoubtedly you'll find more.

Oh we've already noticed this. Called the EA and waiting for a call back now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

He s to ring me during the week because he has a "friend" who is a mortgage broker who might be able to get me the money.
    :D

Doesnt matter if you can get the money or not, just tell him you can pay a certain amount for it, be it 250, 300 or whatever you feel and then play the waiting game.

• Advertisement

Murtinho wrote: »
    :D

Doesnt matter if you can get the money or not, just tell him you can pay a certain amount for it, be it 250, 300 or whatever you feel and then play the waiting game.
    Exactly what i was thinkin. Thanks all for your advice.

Advertisement