Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champion Dog Handler

• 14-03-2009 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭

Neil Lowndes from Rush Co. Dublin the 1st ever Irish winner in his class at Crufts. Neil was interviewed by Brian Lally from the Mooney programme on R.T.E

Got a little lesson, had my batteries all charged from previous week end but the spare batteries for flash were just about dead when I had to change them, both sets. My spare camera battery was fine. Lesson always check before you go out.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3344176789_542beae01c.jpg[/EMAIL]

The photo is not great but it has huge significance for my family, Neil is my Nephew and the dog was named by my mother before she passed away last year. She called it "Billy Boy", and for shows its known as "Nana's Billy Boy. "

I will be better prepared the next time:) And I will make sure we can see the medal. Any Tips from the experts are welcome.

">[IMG]http://<a href=/[/IMG]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,509 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think that pair of people presents the same challenge as a wedding couple - one person all in dark and the other in white plus the additional challenge of the dark dog against a white background. I'd also be interested in suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Congrats on the win to the family! Given that it is family you have a great opportunity to go at it again and get Neil into a more posed position with "Nana's Billy Boy". With better lighting and in a more relaxed environment you have the gold which could be displayed prominently. I mean a pic at the moment is great to have, but the one which you could potentially set up would be really something special and a great memory for years to come.

Best of luck if you do decide to do a retake - infact post back here to compare.

/wonders - was there something about kids and animals I should be remembering here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Congrats on the win to the family! Given that it is family you have a great opportunity to go at it again and get Neil into a more posed position with "Nana's Billy Boy". With better lighting and in a more relaxed environment you have the gold which could be displayed prominently. I mean a pic at the moment is great to have, but the one which you could potentially set up would be really something special and a great memory for years to come.

Best of luck if you do decide to do a retake - infact post back here to compare.

/wonders - was there something about kids and animals I should be remembering here :D
    i find most dog showing very corrupt 30 years ago i had a good show dog [a staffy] i put him in a couple of classes in a champ show when i came noware in the intermediary class i decided not to bother with rest of the classes the the breeder told me he would handle him for the rest of the classes , and he went on to be best in show even the dogworld newspaper wrote an article on him -so its not all about how good the dog is its about who you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

getz wrote: »
    i find most dog showing very corrupt 30 years ago ...... wrote an article on him -so its not all about how good the dog is its about who you know

wha??

Congrats to your nephew Leo, I think AnCatDubh gave the best advise..... reshoot under your own time and environment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Anything I shoot on site now I use three flashes or studio flash. The three flash, one on camera and two of the both sides gives plenty of light and give a great look to the photos, studio flash is fantastic and everybody looks great. About batteries, I have 8 full sets of 4 batteries, they are 2700mha power and two of the sets are Sanyo Enloops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

i find most dog showing.......

While I note your points and haven't removed them from the thread, the forum you are posting in is a photography forum and the OP was asking for advice on the picture taken and any tips (read photography).

I think your comments are out of sync with the topic as posted and particularly in the forum as posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

i find most dog showing very corrupt 30 years ago

Nanas Billy Boy won in obidence class:) I dont think there is room for corruption there follow the course clear obstacles........ Dont know much about dogs even tho' I am a postman:). Dog showing is not for me but thats another forum.

AnCathDubh I hope to take photos tomorrow or on St. Patricks day with the medal and trophy showing this time. I will be doing it in daylight this time and hopefully Neil will have some obstacles set up. I got flummoxed when batteries let me down. There was controvosey over the pedigree class with some study showing dogs breed for showing can have some brain damage and organs can be different slightly different,even the shape of some dogs have changed, something like that. Neil said on Radio he is NOT in favour of this type of breeding. B.B.C didnt show any of the classes or have their evening show on for the 1st time in 30 years.
    Borderfox I can manage 1 flash:) but have this evening read a little on flash set ups. The batteries I have are 2700. What are Sanyo enloops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Enloops are rechargeables that hold 80% of their charge for up to a year, get yourself a diffuser for your flash too. Its all about experimentation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Borderfox wrote: »
    get yourself a diffuser for your flash too. Its all about experimentation

Should I tell the wife I am spending more money.;)

Just thinking of ad I saw in South African Auto Trader in Joburg, which is a fellow selling his NEW bike, 7000km on clock. Gives a few details of bike and his reason for selling...........
    Apparently "do whatever the f**k you want" didnt quite mean what he thought:) But I will check these enloops out. Stofen diffuser? That type?
    Thanks for reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

LeoB wrote: »

Nanas Billy Boy won in obidence class:) I dont think there is room for corruption there follow the course clear obstacles........ Dont know much about dogs even tho' I am a postman:). Dog showing is not for me but thats another forum.
    Congrats on the win!! We were all glued to the live stream for all the agility and stuff.

I have absolutely no tips but picking them up instead.

Good luck with the shoot tomorrow/Patricks day. I'd love to see them.

As for telling the wife.. you're developing a new niche in dog sports so need the set up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Looking forward to seeing the new shoot. I actually quite like the original. Not technically perfect as you've pointed out, but it has an atmosphere about it that more than compensates.

Another vote for the Eneloop. I bought 48 of them for €100 from batterycity.ie. They're great for remote controls and such, as they don't self discharge. But what that also means is that you can charge them, and leave them in the camera bag and a year later, they'll still be good. I have a set of 4 in the flash, another box or two of 8 in the bag. I usually have the AA adapter for the camera, so that even if the camera batteries die, I can pop 6 of the Eneloops in, and be back up and running. Never had to do that, but it's nice to have the security of the option.

It'll still require good management to make sure that you have properly charged and stored them, but with some of the standard NiMH batteries, you can have them fully charged, and then go to use them a week later and discover that they are down on capacity. They won't be flat, but recycle time will suffer and you won't get as many flashes from them. The boxes that I have in the bag are usually replaced every three months or so with freshly charged ones, just to be sure.

Advertisement