Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subjects, What To take ?

Options
  • 14-03-2009 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hey , Iv to pick my leaving cert subjects next week and Im a bit confused

What is the difference between economics and home economics

What is your favourite subjects in the leaving~?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

IMO Geography is a great wee subject with a broad scope and lots of interesting subject matter.

Home Economics is a course which focuses on managing a home or small community. Expect things like cooking, sewing, and modern home-micromanagement BS.

Economics is a business/finance orientated course. Expect lots of supply/demand, fiscal policy, markets, etc.

You should talk to the Career Guidance dude in your school about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    IMO Geography is a great wee subject with a broad scope and lots of interesting subject matter.

Home Economics is a course which focuses on managing a home or small community. Expect things like cooking, sewing, and modern home-micromanagement BS.

Economics is a business/finance orientated course. Expect lots of supply/demand, fiscal policy, markets, etc.

You should talk to the Career Guidance dude in your school about this.

kk tnks , I alreadi chose to do geo, hist & spanish , just wasnt sure bou home ec nd economis , gona take home ec , still not sure bou economics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Home Economics and Economics are very different. As FuzzyLogic said, you'd want to talk to your career guidance person about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

plus if you do economics and geography, if you do economic geography instead of human, there are parts of the courses that overlap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

if i was to pick again id pick biology, ag. science, geography and physics.

business is unbelievably boring and dont pick french unless your really good at it or really interested in it.. most colleges dont require it anyway and if your course does you can just sit the pass paper, its a piss take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I see you picked history...it's a very interesting course but very very....very long :) A lot to learn. The research topic is an easy 20% to pick up though.

I want to do history in college next year but if I were doing the Leaving Cert all over again I wouldn't pick history, as it's simply too much work.

I do recommend Geography though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Depends what your strengths are. Just pick the subjects your doing well at at the moment.

What i consider to be the easier subjects

Chemistry (when i did the subject 25% of higher level students got A1's. From the cso.ie) Dont know the statistics for the other subjects are.
    Biology (Makes sense to pick biology in conjuction with chemistry if you choose to do a science degree. Its interesting nonetheless)
    Business (handy number to pick up points)
    Geography (another handy subject to pick points up in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 L.i.t.h.i.u.m

Well if your anyway inclined towards doing science, I would recommend chemistry, I know from doing science in college this year,all the people who didn't take chem for the leaving struggled alot... but It does require alot of work, no way would I say its an easy subject:)

I loved biology, was simple enough and interesting, I hated history so much....

the best advice I could give, is follow what you enjoyed and your line of work will end up there, but just make sure you take the right combo of subjects:) certain courses require certain subjects etc.

good luck picking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

U should probably do a 3rd language if u want to go to an NCI uni as I think you need one for alot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

well my personal favourite is biology but im very interested in it so i dont mind working for it.

Chemistry is my most evil subject im just not able to grasp it at all but each to their own.

id advise you not to do history.its very time consuming and the course is reallly long.You'd more then likely hate parnell by the end of it aswell.

geographys meant to be a good subject to do though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Yeah I picked History, deffo don't do it, its way too much work

I would probably have done Home Ec if I could have chosen again. Economics is good but the micro can be crappy. Geography is a good general kind of subject. I may also have picked Biology if I had a choice again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 podgedurka

okay here we go don't do biology thinking its an easy subject unless your actually genuinely interested. Heres what i would recommend

english
    irish
    maths
    language
    business
    economics
    geography/accounting

economics is a good option outside of school as the course is very short

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

If I could pick again I would have chosen.

Home Ec.
    Economics
    Geography
    Ag. Science (I heard it was easy) or Biology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

would it be stupid going for a medical course with just ag science and no biology? i have chose ag science and would like to do biology aswell but it will probably happen that i cannot do the 2 of them because my school is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Heya Frank.
    To answer your question, LC biology is a joke and you would have no problem in medicine without it.
    I know quite a few people who didnt do biology and they are getting on grand.
    It probably would be a good idea to read through a biology text after your leaving cert, minus the plant biology obviously.

Advertisement